Small surf fun

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:19 pm

To the Kalakau kid

I haven't had any experience surfing epoxies, but if you're after a wood longboard (and you're ready to part with some readies) I don't reckon you can go past a Wegener (http:\\www.tomwegenersurfboards.com).

I haven't tried his wooden boards, but the foam ones go great (they're hand made too). They look fantastic on the new movie that's out "Lines from a poem..."
"Stay happy and everything will be just fine....." Jack Norris

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:27 pm

MtM,

thanks for the thought & link. Have seen the Wegners in the shops & surf, yet to get a ride though. Will see if Warren at east gosford surf will lend me his for a test run.

What kind of waves do you ride yours in and what kind of shape is it?

thnx

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:41 pm

KK

I tend to ride it in head high and under surf, not too sucky - though I've been out at the points when it's been a bit bigger than that and it's handled it really well.

It's a real traditional shape, 10' pin tail, 3/4 " wooden fin right at the end, with soft rails throughout, hips at the back of the board. I thought 10' was going to be too big, but it handles better than my old 9'3 that I traded it in for. I'm enjoying my surfing more than ever at the moment and I reckon the board is largely responsible..

Warren will probably have the Wegener board guide too, which runs through his shapes and designs and explains each in a lot of detail. It's a good read if you get the opportunity.

Mines a Model A, and I got it through East Gosford Surf Shop.

Hope this helps :D

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:57 am

Thanks bro.

coastie
Grommet

Wegener's surf unreal

Post by coastie » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:09 pm

The Wegener's rock. I surf a foam 'Signature' model (2 x 10 oz volane) also from Woz at East Gosford Surf. Trims and noserides like a dream in anything up to shoulder high. Try one out...

coastie
Grommet

Wegener's surf unreal

Post by coastie » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:10 pm

The Wegener's rock. I surf a foam 'Signature' model (2 x 10 oz volane) also from Woz at East Gosford Surf. Trims and noserides like a dream in anything up to shoulder high. Try one out...

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:24 am

many thanks for the info brothers -

will have to have quite a chat with warren it seems. However, it may have to wait for a while as I am getting married this weekend and needless to say, there are other priorities at the moment. Still, as we try to decide between angourie and crescent head for our honeymoon, life could be much worse...

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:55 am

You're obviously destined to have a long and happy marriage.....

dicko

Post by dicko » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:33 am

Morgan The Moon wrote: I thought 10' was going to be too big, but it handles better than my old 9'3 that I traded it in for.
that's so true about some boards handling better. it's amazing the difference little things can make. the design is so critical and you gotta have a board that works for you. you can't beat a shaper with plenty of experience who knows what combos work well together.

Nikko
regular

Re: Longboarding

Post by Nikko » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:40 am

PattoBOG wrote:I own two mals, (ones a 8.8 foam HB thingy, the other a 9.6 Vudu) but they only get ridden as an absolute last reort. I think too many peopl eget lazy too quickly.
Yestreday I had great waves at no-mans land on my waterskate which looks like a minimal but is only 6'5". It would have been perfect for a mal but with a little bit of effort and a hybrid board yoyu can still have a ball.
In my opinion you should ride short boards for as long as you can until you get fat and lazy like the rest of the protaganists.
Longboarding is a novelty and an anachronism like neck to knee bathing suits, get with the times.
Here here dicko!
8)
"No matter what happens; it will always be alright".

cousteau
regular

mals

Post by cousteau » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:00 am

might I also throw into the equation a5'8' Keyo twinny fish which kinda surfs like a mal but with shortboard response.I live on it.It gobbles up fat lil gutless waves(Sydney last six months).

I may also concur with the feeling(on my my mal) of pivoting,a quick step up the plank and locking in for the glide,combine this with a real slouch in the shoulders and small of the back and you're really stylin'.

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:27 pm

Before i start i'm a 16y.o. longboarder who has been "mal-addicted" for about 3and a 1/2 years with good succes on the competitive and local club scene. :P
I feel that riding without a legrope improves your surfing so much more than with one. You value your board more so you dont try stupid stuff on the wave, and you stay within your abillity so you dont wipeout and get your board washed in. Have no legrope tends to make you cruise more and keep your turns more flowing so you stay on the wave better and gain speed.
Me and my mate lawrence have been surfing at freshie most of our surfing lives and we are firm believers in the no leg-rope. We feel you should only use a leg rope when conditions require you to- such as nasty close outs or larger waves (5-6ft).
Having no leg rope is good becuase it doesnt get tangled in your feet when you are walking the board, no drag when you are nose riding, and no drag when you are doing 180*helicopters or fin first takeoffs.

Eventually when you revert back to using the leash on biggers day you find your self being much more progressive and having full control of your board, and not doing stupid turns or maneovours, you become a much better surfer and will be going out with no leash in progressively bigger and more quality conditions.

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:44 pm

Freshie Boy whats a 180*helicopter?, everyone knows that a helicopter is 360 degrees starting from the slide to the correction made by the fins.

Nikko
regular

Post by Nikko » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:48 am

Hi Freshie Boy,
mate I agree with you pretty much 100% on the concept of what you say. The difference I would like to point out is that when you do the same thing on a short board that you know intimatly: your surfing increases expotentially when your transfer it over to the shortboard.
You can already go places a tanker can't go, so when you take it to waves in the 6' range your senses increase so much more. Add a legrope on that and surfing has deveoped into the flying high performance genre it has evolved to today. Addmittedly its not for everyone but without those people who find out what the outter limit boundries are we would not be where we are today. The masses are the one who benifit from this evolution. New design concepts, new shapes, curves, rockers, materials, fin placements, absolutly everything has come from a short board design. If we left it at the longboard stage we would still be riding waterlogged planks.
My issue with longboards is that it is at a time when all this evolution has taken place why would you go backwards into the dark ages? I can hear people saying "what about the days when it's weak, fat, junky, sloppy, ordinary, high tide. There is a place for the tankers obviously. Doesnt mean we have to follow each others direction. Just acknowledge the differences and accept each other. Look at the above line where you would use a tanker, pretty shitty aye. No wonder longboarders are refered to negativly. You wouldn't take a mal out at a grinding barrelling Padang or Racetrack Ulu's would you?
So know your place and stay in the crap where you do your best work and don't venture into a line up dominated by shortboarders. Sitting 20 ft further out catching unbroken waves and then trying to turn a tanker through a minefield of bodies, it's just wrong!
Face the truth, cheers.
"No matter what happens; it will always be alright".

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:17 am

Nicko that last bit was total shit, its more like people with your mentality that put the negative swing on longboarding, i will agree there are people that should know their place and sitback but when they advance in skill level why shouldn't there position and place in the lineup advance. If longboarders chose to sit further out and get more waves then there gunna because they can.

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:18 pm

Nikko wrote:You wouldn't take a mal out at a grinding barrelling Padang or Racetrack Ulu's would you?
Nikko, you could've saved a bit of typing by just saying 'I have my hand on my c ock and my head up my a rse'.

Are you making a joke of some kind? or do you actually get a kick out of making yourself out to be a moron? Have you ever surfed anywhere other than your local 3 foot p ussy-break? Coz if you had, you probably would have seen a chargin' longboarder somewhere or other coz there are plenty out there who would surf bigger waves than you and most likely carve circles around you on a shortboard...

concrete

Post by concrete » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:28 pm

streetdaddy wrote:
Nikko wrote:You wouldn't take a mal out at a grinding barrelling Padang or Racetrack Ulu's would you?
Nikko, you could've saved a bit of typing by just saying 'I have my hand on my c ock and my head up my a rse'.

Are you making a joke of some kind? or do you actually get a kick out of making yourself out to be a moron? Have you ever surfed anywhere other than your local 3 foot p ussy-break? Coz if you had, you probably would have seen a chargin' longboarder somewhere or other coz there are plenty out there who would surf bigger waves than you and most likely carve circles around you on a shortboard...
hahahahahahahaha .... hahahahahahahahaah ........... hahahahahahahahaha .... hey streetdaddy, maybe you can give us a huge list of the names of people who are famous for charging huge waves on 'longboards' ..... i think it's YOUR head that is up YOUR a rse ....

you are an a-grade F-U-C-K-W-I-T

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:00 pm

urm, is 88 of them enough? I'm sure there's more...