New stick

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

New stick

Post by Beerfan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:58 pm

6'6'' x 21 x 2 3/4. Its been thinned out very well, and doesnt feel that wide or thick, especially the rails. I wanted it for the majority of waves i surf, knee to not much overhead.

The last few surfs have been tiny windswell, so hard to gauge, but i got one surf where i got a head high wave that had some "bounce" form the nearby rocks, and jacked up as i got to my feet. I was looking at the drop thinking "hmmmm", but it held in beautifully and f&cken flew down, and flew off the bottom. I can tell its gunna be a keeper.

Hopefully we'll got some waves with punch soon, instead of windswell!.

Using SF4 fin set at the moment.

buzzy
barnacle

Re: New stick

Post by buzzy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:14 am

It does look like it'll be FAST. To me though, and I'm no expert in these things at all...but to me it looks like the sort of board that'd be great down the line in fast breaking waves, or good at roundhouse cutties, but not so good for more vertical up and down surfing.

Personally I'm looking at a new MR Rocket quad which is similar although a bit less nose volume and maybe a bit more tail width. Not for quite a few months yet though.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:36 am

Looks like a good summer board. The place that you rode it sounds familiar :wink: I'll have to keep a closer eye out for you. You must get out early.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Beautiful board!

Is that a FatBat or a Quadfather with a bat tail?

Looks like it would be super fast and great fun with that pulled in tail :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:29 pm

Buzzy, when we get good waves i'll be glad to try and find out!!

Sean, not where you're thinking mate, i was south of mm beach, just off the headland, though i really should get down to where you're thinking, haven't been there for way too long, and i think this would go great in those hollow sandy waves. And yep, i leave my house before 5am, this time of year i can surf for an hour and still make 6:45am start. Im an early riser too, so it doesnt bother me, plus, there are no crowds.

Capt, its a bat, but the tail has been pulled in a bit.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:31 am

thats a Fat-Bat with a pulled in tail, just as Beery wanted, he likes his fish but has been moving towards getting more performance from his surfing lately and has also lost a fair bit of weight so after quite a few e-mails we came up with this baby...

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:59 am

Lovin that outline.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:20 pm

You and me both wands!!.

Still waiting for something decent to surf it in. I took my midlength today as i expected more crap windswell, but it was chest to head high and the low low tide made for some decent little waves. Very windy/choppy though, so i think the weight of the long board helped me out today. Good waves will come soon though, and i can't wait to get the bat out in them.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:26 pm

a guy dropped into the shop today and he had the red 'free range egg' ( name was used by another shaper just after we did yours actually )... :roll: , he absolutely loves it and was stoked on the thing, he got it for only 300 he said, he is from down your way Beerfan...small world hey... hope you have had something to ride down that way, most others seem to have had nuthing at all......

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:20 am

Ha small world indeed mark.

Still faaaark all in terms of swell. Small waves i can handle, but small windswell is just punishment. I was gunna get rid of my midlength, but i'm gunna keep it for this time of year. It breathes life into knee to waist high, high tide, absolutely gutless windswell. I can surf the bat in real waves that size, but like i said, tiny windswell just calls for a longboard. Last surf was knee to waist at best, fat, only good for trimming up near the nose. Praying for swell, but looks like another week of tiny windswell AGAIN!!!!!!, and im not expecting much for the rest of jan either.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:56 pm

2-3' this morning, super low tide, fun fun fun on the bat, finally got to ride it in decent waves. Love it!!!!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:30 am

anymore feedback on them fins ??? :?: how does it go with those fins on a backhand bottom turn ?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:13 am

Hey mark, that surf i mentioned i caught a few rights, didn't notice anything odd, or slippage.

I went to the beach after night shift on thurs morning, after hearing a guy at work saying it was big and punchy on wed. Well, it was overhead and punchy on thurs morning, and i dogged it. Too big for me, i don't think i would've made it out the back!!. I thought i'd get smaller waves around the headland ( not south facing ), but there was nothing there, so haven't surfed since.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Got some more punchy 3'ers this morning, and no probs with sliding, went bloody great again. Got one right, and no prob there either. Was chasing the peak all over the place a bit though, while my mate was getting all the bigger ones delivered to him personally, bastard, he got some screamers :cry:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:41 am

as long as its goin great, thats all that matters..... 8)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:37 pm

Yep, it's going very very good. My fave board now, definately. Got a few rights today, pretty small, but went very well, i actually have a backhand attack!!, even if it is poorly timed and ugly hahaha, but i can work on that!. Should stop watching occy clips :)