HMAS Hatchman has arrived

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

HMAS Hatchman has arrived

Post by Grooter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Okay so it's not as big as some of the craft you guys ride but it's the biggest board I've ever owned :)

It's got a nice soft concave, super flat and designed for speed, dimensions are 8'6" x 22.5" x 3"

Hopefully should get it out on Sunday morning, I've got a single Dion fin for it at the moment, will wait and see if I want another two.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

sean--
barnacle

Re: HMAS Hatchman has arrived

Post by sean-- » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:59 pm

That'll do the trick. I thought you were getting a local board. I've got an 8 foot round pin V skate coming in Jan. Like the spider ( Richard Cram ).

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:41 am

sean-- wrote:That'll do the trick. I thought you were getting a local board. I've got an 8 foot round pin V skate coming in Jan. Like the spider ( Richard Cram ).
My other board is a 7' V-Skate - awesome board, suits me perfectly.

The spider was a present from my wife years ago, it's made out of welded steel and it was done by some artist she used to know.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:52 am

How was Grant. I found him good to work with. It's funny but I don't think of him doing mals, I will have to keep that in mind when shopping for the next cruiser. Out of curiousity how much? pm me if you don't want the world to know,
Cheers Spoon
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

NuclearFishin

Post by NuclearFishin » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:33 am

That's a good lookin shape mate - nice colour too , is it a light tint or spray ? It's hard to tell.Are those Surfinz side boxes ?
I really like Miller's work.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:48 pm

It's a spray mate and yep the side boxes are Surfinz

I love the shape it's a really nice looking board, hopefully going to try it out tomorrow, conditions are looking good for it at the moment

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:32 am

Hatch, are you aware of the major spider problem you have in your house :D

What do you usually ride? Just curious as to why you have upsized. Where are you looking to ride this - smaller day on the point style of thing?
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:55 am

LONGINUS wrote:Just curious as to why you have upsized.
He has upsized because he claims he's too old to do any actual work to catch waves or make it out to the lineup.

Isn't that right Hatchy :!: :arrow: :mrgreen:

How did it go yesterday mate?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:06 pm

^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Board went really well mate and I got some awesome rides in the 2 metre swell. It spat me off a couple of times as I was not used to the speed nor the looseness of it :oops: It is only a single fin at the moment so burying the rail like I do on my other board needs to be done with a bit more precision :)

It's fast too, really fast, and it catches them really well meaning I'm going to be a wave hogging cnut this summer :lol:

Paddle out was a dream and it's not corky either so it is really stable on the take-off, I stayed out for over two hours as I was not getting as exhausted, I usually only last about an hour and a half at this place on the 7'.

I'll keep surfing it over the Xmas break as much as possible to determine whether I'll want to add some small side fins to help it hold a bit better in the bigger stuff - although I quite like the different feel of it anyway, so I may not. It's an awesome board, really stoked with it.
LONGINUS wrote:Hatch, are you aware of the major spider problem you have in your house :D

What do you usually ride? Just curious as to why you have upsized. Where are you looking to ride this - smaller day on the point style of thing?
Yep longinus that's why I got it. One of my favorite surf spots is only accessible via a 500 metre paddle so I got it to handle both the paddle out and to better compete with the growing numbers of mal, SUP and goat-boaters out there.

I always surf there when it gets too big and dumpy on the bass strait beaches (which is fairly often in Victoria) It's a really long, lazy, left-hander wave, usually quite fat, but still pretty powerful, so it suits a bigger board like this.

It'll also be for small days and a couple of other spots round where I live that will suit it.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:45 pm

HMAS?

Shouldn't it be grey with a big white number on it?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.