the MP3

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

the MP3

Post by pridmore » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:12 pm

This is a board made for a mate of mine, he rides logs, mals and fish mostly but enjoys riding anything really...He wanted a single fin and possibly a retro copy of some kind, we discussed some ideas and come up with doing something along the lines of the MP cutty board from morning of the earth, but with some modernised changes...it has become a real mix of new and old ideas in almost every part of the creation....It has an old school planshape but modern bottom shapes and rails, it has Volan glass on the bottom and ultra light 4 oz on the deck, it has old school fabric inlay also, did consider epoxy but went against it for cost reasons....It has had a beautiful bamboo fin hand made for it especially and it will also have FCS side bites , butterfly fins will be used on the sides ( after some recent testing on another 2 +1 getting very favourable results with this combo ), so it is a real mixed bag but it is looking really nice as it comes together...keen to see it all finished and cant wait to sneak a few waves on it too...... there has already been some other interest in this design so it may even be the first of many.....Dims are 6'2" x 21" x 2 5/8".....

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: the MP3

Post by steve shearer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Siiiick.

Pointbreak machine.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:08 pm

A very nice looking board mark, love to see finished pics once glassed.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:01 pm

MP, you have a serious foam addiction. 8)

Hope the rocker stays true during glassing, can be an issue with the stringerless PU. Amazing how much lighter they are without the wood eh? Then there’s the flex. :arrow:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:07 pm

yesI do have an addiction to white pwder and the feelings it gives me.... :roll:

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:48 pm

looks nice n flat too.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:56 am

about 4 in the nose and in the tail....so not too flat but it is a very gradual rocker , smooth and drivey....

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:53 am

Ricky - I know its Monday morning and all - and I am a tad fuzzy as a result of a weekend away - but Stringerless??? Am I seeing things - or not seeing things?? :oops:
That said - yes very sweeet indeed Mr. Pridmore

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:12 am

:oops: :lol: You’re right J-Lo, I’m mixing Mark’s threads... he has a stringerless somewhere about these parts to be done with carbon/kevlar rails.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:24 pm

the old skool fabric inlay looks all time, pics soon..... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:22 pm

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:38 pm

That paisley looks wild. Very 70s! 8)

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Nice... :D

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:26 am

Looks good are you going to ride it ?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:41 pm

yp, I know the guy fairly well and he'll let me ide it soon, he has it waxed and finned, ready to go, but wants a bit of a decent wave for first surf....which is good coz it was designed to ride decent waves, something with a bit of a wall and some push...its his non-log or longboard option, he usually rides a 9'6" old school log but not always is that suitable for some waves, so he now has this and a fat-bat for an option....I think this baby will like the point at 4-5 ft myself and also another wedgy breakwall we surf a bit..... very surprised how many people loved the look of this board, have had several orders from the look of the fabric already....amazing how many people go on looks as the main priority with boards...oh well, gotta go with it I guess.... :roll:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:36 am

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:30 pm

this board was stolen from Angourie about 10 days ago, if anyone sees it, please let me now...and if possible get it, or at least the car rego it is in or just lock the board and the bloke in a cupboard until we can get there.... :roll:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:21 am

am shaping another MP3 for a guy from the South Coast, he is actually the best mate of the owner of the above ( and stolen board ), he rode it once before it got stolen and has said he wants one, so thought I might continue this thread and post modifications , pics and progress of this new board if anyone is interested...Dims are gunna be 6'1" x 20 1/2" x 2 9/16" , he is a slightly shorter, smaller guy, he doesnt want to rip the crap out ot it, he wants to surf with flow and style and rides alot of singles, but when he rode the MP3 he really enjoyed the more modern design which allowed him to do a few turns more easily than his usual old school 6'5 x 18 x 2 7/8" ( guess of approx dims ) chunky pin tail single fin ( very hard to surf well ), so we are going for a blend of new and old ( just what the MP3 is...) and to make it user friendly so he can progress but still surf with the flow that he wants...He has also given me free reign pretty much with the entire board, he wants it to have personality, so looking out for some cool fabric for another inlay.....will post pics when I shape it up.... 8) oh yeah, he weighs 70 odd kgs', hasnt been surfing for that long and wants it for average to great waves, and he wants it to paddle quite well......