Thoughts?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

mical
barnacle

Thoughts?

Post by mical » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Forgetting the ghey spray . . . please share your thoughts on this shapes workability.

Edit: Was thinking something like 5'6 - 5'8 raked twin with a small trailer fin.

You'll have to excuse the quality of the pics, I took a few snapshots from a movie on Dion Agius' site.
Attachments
Deck 2.JPG
Bottom.JPG
Bottom.JPG (14.88 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
Bottom-Tail.JPG

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Thoughts?

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:32 am

Is it white with black stripes or black with white stripes?
With that foreshortening in the blurry photo it could be 9'2" or 4'2".
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:00 am

Am now sober and can elaborate my thoughts a little more.

A couple months back I was at a wedgy little 2-4ft offshore beachie with 3 other guys out just on dark.

One of the guys, around 40yrs and 85kgs I'd guess, had this little round nose twin. Looked like a lidder when he was paddling it, tore the bag out everything he caught. And he caught a lot of waves.

Then I saw the wide square tail on the board Reynolds was riding at Trestles, those Dumpster Divers or whatever the fcuk they were calling them.
Dumpster Diver Tail.JPG
Then, I happened to see a video on Dion Agius' site and he was riding the thing I posted earlier that seemed to combine the stubby little round nose, with the wide real tail and flatter rocker.

It's peaked my interest to see what one would go like, however as I said above, I think I'd go big raked twins with a small trailer.

Was just interested to see what others thought of the idea and how it'd surf.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:41 pm

you want to stand up on a kneeboard?

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:40 pm

There was an article in I think it was the last Australian LongBoarder by Bob McTavish where he details his theory about fin placement relative to the foot size of the surfer.

The significance is that with the right fin placement a person can ride a much wider tail board than was the prevailing consensus. And if that's true then presumably you can go wider and shorter, which will bring advantages in certain conditions. I'd have thought that main advantage would be in relatively gutless 4 foot and less surf, where more planing area and width in the tail would be advantageous.

Beyond that I haven't got much to offer which might be helpful.

daisy
regular

Post by daisy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:17 am

looking back i've had a couple of great surfs in small waves on short fat boards with wide square tails. one had a bonzer fin set up, the other a thruster. wondering how much it is the fins vs. the tail. planning to investigate further this summer.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:46 am

One of the guys, around 40yrs and 85kgs I'd guess, had this little round nose twin. Looked like a lidder when he was paddling it, tore the bag out everything he caught. And he caught a lot of waves.

Then I saw the wide square tail on the board Reynolds was riding at Trestles, those Dumpster Divers or whatever the fcuk they were calling them.

Was it a mini simmons?? Super short, wide, round nose, wiiiiide square tail and 2 big keels at the corners?.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:48 am

P.S i totally pinched this pic from a website, will delete if not appropriate.

Dims are 5'6 x 22 x 2 3/4, though they go down to 5'

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:42 am

I get the feeling that shorter wider boards are going to be the future norm. Not just semi-fish performance boards, but tiny little things like this and Kelly's wizard's sleeve.

Smaller turning radius, lighter, more freedom to surf different parts of the wave, etc. Kind of like a skimboard with more directional control?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:14 am

Beerfan wrote:Was it a mini simmons?? Super short, wide, round nose, wiiiiide square tail and 2 big keels at the corners?
No mate, he was a local shaper who'd made it himself and it wasn't as wide in the tail as the Simmons. Looked really similar to the zebra I posted above, apparently it's called a 'slug' according to Dion in the vid.
Cpt.Caveman wrote:I get the feeling that shorter wider boards are going to be the future norm. Not just semi-fish performance boards, but tiny little things like this and Kelly's wizard's sleeve.

Smaller turning radius, lighter, more freedom to surf different parts of the wave, etc.
Seems to be the thing at the moment doesn't it. I guess I'm jumping on the bandwagon a little but when I saw that short, wide, round nosed twinny being put through its paces I got really interested in looking into the design.
Cpt.Caveman wrote:Kind of like a skimboard with more directional control?
I've tried to surf my Victoria skimboard with marginal success. Maybe not that flat, stiff and short :shock: I get where you're heading though.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I get the feeling that shorter wider boards are going to be the future norm. Not just semi-fish performance boards, but tiny little things like this and Kelly's wizard's sleeve.
They're not my cup of tea really CC. I reckon another fad that will move on quickly enough.

I like wider, but only a bit wider, anything in the 19'' to 20'' mark. Reckon they start to lose their feel or something once they get too wide.

But always interested to know where surfing trends are going, knowing that I'm unlikely to be following them.
Last edited by oldman on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:59 am

I've been half looking around for something similar. Im thinking my next board with be something like a 5'8 (or6)" / 21(or 20)/ 2.5" ish - few guys around here ride them and look like a heap of fun

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:11 am

oldman wrote:I like wider, but only a bit wider, anything in the 19'' to 20'' mark. Reckon they start to lose their feel or something once they get too wide.
I'd agree with that Olds, anything wider than 20"- 21" at the widest point is too much for me.

Usual shorty is around 18 5/8" but I've got a 6'0" quad fish loosely based on the Merrick fishcuit around the 20" mark with a real wide swallow and fcuk all rocker that I just love for small summer days.

Still really interested in the round nose thing, anyone have a true round nose short board?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:13 pm

these little wider boards are heaps of fun and definitely becoming popular, I'm getting quite a few orders for boards under 5'10" and most are 20" wide or close.....my latest one is 5'9" x 20 1/2" x 2 5/8"...so much fun in the right waves...that is the thing but guys, the right waves are needed, they arent user friendly to surf everyday in all conditions...but a great addition to the quiver for sure.....
rocker is critical, get the rocker right....imo..... 8)

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:41 am

pridmore wrote:...so much fun in the right waves...
Very true Mark, and those waves are exactly what I want it for.

What are your thoughts on the round nose? Benefits/Drawbacks?

What sort of rocker are you thinking?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:40 am

the orter you go, the fuller the nose , if you wanna go the round nose, think it'll work well with a very short board, more planin area up front equals better planing and more float, both things you want from a very short sled....also makes the rail line straighter up front which can also be a good thing for a small slab of foam....too much tail rocker ( especially combined with the twinny you are talking bout will have you turning too sharply, you need projection, keep the tail rocker minimal IMO...dunno bout the twinny, maybe more drivey would suit especially with wide arse end...but tail rocker will really make or break it with this type of board and fin set-up IMHO...I'd love to do one, actually, I think I will...have a stringerless blank to play with....).... 8)

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:43 am

pridmore wrote:the orter you go, the fuller the nose , if you wanna go the round nose, think it'll work well with a very short board, more planin area up front equals better planing and more float, both things you want from a very short sled....also makes the rail line straighter up front which can also be a good thing for a small slab of foam....too much tail rocker ( especially combined with the twinny you are talking bout will have you turning too sharply, you need projection, keep the tail rocker minimal IMO...dunno bout the twinny, maybe more drivey would suit especially with wide arse end...but tail rocker will really make or break it with this type of board and fin set-up IMHO...I'd love to do one, actually, I think I will...have a stringerless blank to play with....).... 8)
You thinking quad?

Might give you a call about this when I get 5 minutes Mark.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:46 am

quad or thruster....or possibly a few fcs plugs for options.....but dont think twinny for this puppy myself.... 8)