Scored

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Chillin
charger

Scored

Post by Chillin » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:49 am

I have been given a genuine Gordon and Smith single fin. Its from the early 70's and to tell the truth its pretty wrecked, however it does have the shapers name on it, Alan Blyth, who i believe is still living in Crescent Head. So the question is ladies, do i restore it to put on the wall, fix it up and surf it, or leave it as is and try to get old Alan to sign it for me? I was fortunate enough to find an old G and S ad on surfsearch with a pic of alan in the 70's holding a similar board, although mine doesn,t have flyers. Dims are 6'3"x20"x3". I'll post a pic later.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Chillin
charger

Re: Scored

Post by Chillin » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:22 pm

Here we are.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:08 pm

A bad case of sun cancer or too much smoking.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:07 am

Yeah fab, Chillin, now find the nearest landfill. :D

If another pr*ck brings me something like that to fix I’m going to shove it...

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:24 am

Can't get into the nostalgia thing with surfboards.

A shiny new board is just the ants pants.

Clean it up a bit though and see if you can sell it on eBay. :lol:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:33 am

There was a bloke selling old boards down at the Manly Markets a few weeks back & a few of them were in about as good shape as your G&S Chillin. Price tags of $300-$400 on a couple if I rightly recall. Had some horrible looking 80s thrusters as well. Didn't see anyone parting with their hard-earned to acquire any of his stock. This retro thing can be silly sometimes. I'm with Ric. Dump the f*cker.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Chillin, you'd spend less time and effort shaping yourself a board, and probably end up with a better result IMHO. THough if you've got the cash to splash, get it restored and surf it for the sake of it.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Beerfan wrote:Chillin, you'd spend less time and effort shaping yourself a board, and probably end up with a better result IMHO. THough if you've got the cash to splash, get it restored and surf it for the sake of it.
Good idea. Get a blank and use this for a template. Mock up some stickers on the computer to look just like the ones on the board.

Glass it, leave it out in the sun for a while, let it yellow very quickly.

Put it on ebay as a board you found in the garage of the house you just moved in to and it looks like an original board that has hardly ever been used. Suggest that you think the woman you bought the house off (a deceased estate) had a husband who died 20 years ago and you figured it must have been his, and was just left in a little space at the back of the garage that nobody seemed to know about.

Price on spec. $1000 :lol:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:19 pm

Chillin made the board on this thread.... Looks quite impressive..http://www.surfinglife.com.au/forum/vie ... 9&start=60
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks fellas, the board is now hanging on my veranda above the barbie. I guess it can't get anymore sun damage and it makes for a good conversation piece. Cheers for posting that link Jimmi, i did post a couple of pics of the wooden board on Speedneedle's thread too.

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Should plug the holes,put on a bit of wax and take it for a surf thats what they're made for.I had several old singles a few years back and I had a great time(use to pick them up at cash converters dirt cheap).But they are what they are and thats just shitty old boards not worth $$$.Had a 6'10" dick brewer cost $65 went great, its now behind a mates bar,I just gave it to him cause I've moved on to long boards and it was in the way.Go on take it for a surf looks like its been waiting for a long time :cry:

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:20 pm

Well i would be more exited by surfing it if I didn't own a Machado single fin, which is my main board of choice for most of the local waves. I didn't surf in the 70's even though im old enough, i was too busy riding dirt bikes, so i don't really have nostalgia for the old days as such. I live over the road from the ocean, so the old girl can spend her days with the salt spray and onshores plying her ample girth for the time being and watching the waves break on the small rocky reef out the front.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:39 am

You can always give it a spray with some paint after repairing the major holes. Depending on what you actually want to do with it. Just tape over the logo. You can even team it with the colour of your curtains :D
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Curtains? dont they block out the view? :lol: :D

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:20 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:Unlike Olds I lurve old boards and ones found in good condition are rare and beautuiful things. Perhaps that's because I've been surfing long enough to truly understand. :P

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Truly understand?

Only a wanker knows the feeling!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: back at ya. :lol:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:48 pm

man just get it copied.

it obviously holds great value to you, so maybe dont risk taking it out.

i recently snapped a Dick Harvey 6'0 rounded pin single. it was the funnest board i've ever ridden.

gonna try copy it after i fix it.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:33 am

Had a change of heart here lads. I'v had a long chat with Ian 'Goody' Goodacre and he rekons just take off the fin, rip the old glass off the bottom and re-glass it. Then fill the deck and re-gloss the whole thing. So, as the board has no historical value, or monetary value, Im going to restore her and surf her. I must admit to being at a loose end since the wooden board was finished (Check Jimmy 1501's link for a look at it), and we are aproaching 7 wks hols. I will post pics of the task as I go.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:01 pm

I know its only a couple of hrs since i posted, but heres the kicker. The whole board is now naked. I ripped the glass off the bottom, and it was so rooted it pretty much fell off. Then i tried to cut around the rails but the glass was so de-laminated that i ended up taking the glass off the whole board! SO, with the now naked blank sitting on my racks i had to change tack. Here we have a basically intact foam blank in the shape of a early 70's single fin, what to do. I KNOW< shape a new board out of it! Watch this space,