Scored

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Scored

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:19 pm

el rancho wrote:man just get it copied.
No, don’t. They weren’t good then, it won’t be good now. :D

Seriously though, it’ll NEVER be the same, too many variables... foam density, glassing weight, sanding

The machine guys can’t even copy a new one properly. No really.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:21 pm

Chillin wrote:I KNOW< shape a new board out of it! Watch this space,
That’s the ticket, Chillin’. Be best board ever!

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Hmm, not sure if yur tongue is in yur cheek there Ric, but iv started by sanding out all the bruises and assorted dings from thirty odd yrs of use and abuse. Once i have a clean shape, then i'll call for ideas on the direction to go in. The old girl is 3" thick, so plenty of room to work with there and the stringer was only lightly proud of the deck on the top, so also plenty of room for re designing there too.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:06 pm

Chillin, I don't know a whole lot about this but, wouldn't it be worth just re-glassing it once you clean it up a bit?
You'd retain the original character of the board and it'd look good.
Just rechecked the pics you posted. I picked up one like it in the late 80's. Unfortunately I gave it away to one of my son's friends.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:35 pm

Yeah Trev, thats the direction i want to go but the deck and bottom are really battered and the original rail shape is pretty unknown due to reglassing over the years. Im going to sand down the deck and bottom below the worst of the bruising and then have a good look at it and see what jumps out at me. Here's a couple of pics that will give you an idea where im up too.
Like i said, the bottom almost fell off
Lots of bruising

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:39 am

my son and I did a reshape on something very similar a few years back...and if you round off the nose about 10" or so from nose tip now, then cut a nice swallow ( or be daring and do something a little different ) into the tail, measuring across the tail to the width you want ( I suggest narrower than traditional twin keel type fish ' , maybe 7" or so ....) and you have an almost perfect little fish planshape.....at 3" thick, you can take off the outer layer of sun-browned foam to some cleaner white stuff below, it'll be soft, so add some patches where you'll be standing.....lots of fun and it'll give the old girl a 2nd chance at life...I'll try to find some pics of my one....have fun, wish I was doing one... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:48 am

it was a 6'10" single fin, Darby , pin tail.....surfed it once and it was an utter dog, even for those old boards' standards...so I thought I'd show my son a bit about surfboards... I hadnt shaped anything for a few years but this gave me the bug again.....
and the litlle 'Lava board' ( my son named it after a board that looks like it has lava on it in Kellys playstation game ) getting tested by my 5 yr old boy at a little left that only breaks a few times a year but it is absolutley perfect for the micro-groms..... 8)

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:29 am

I have an idea, I was just looking at the utube vid of the Mick Fanning 'Butter Box single fin', now that looks sweet. This whole project is reminding me of the time I took an old Moto Guzzi from a wreckers and rebuilt it into a cafe racer that was on the front cover of Streetbike magazine back in the 90's. Take an old dog and teach it new tricks is the direction, and i think i will call it "The Tribute" Ya gotta believe me! (sorry, love that song).

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:59 am

Chillin wrote:... This whole project is reminding me of the time I took an old Moto Guzzi from a wreckers and rebuilt it into a cafe racer that was on the front cover of Streetbike magazine back in the 90's. ..
damn! an 850 Le Mans?

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:22 am

Mk1 or MK2?

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Nah, I did own a white MK1 at the time, but the project started out as one of those little 650t tourers. I rebuilt the whole thing (owned as M'bike shop at the time) from the ground up, Carbon fibre tank and ducktail, lightweight everything and an explosive engine worked over with all the usual tricks and topped off with pumper carbs off a GSXR 750. It was about the same size as the V50monza, but with a whole lot more poke and heaps nimble. I used to ride out to the Putty rd at weekends and take on all comers to Colo and back, ah the memories. I also rode it down to Bathurs one year and diced with some guy on a GSZR1100 the whole way up the Bells line and down to Lithgow. Had a ball, but he blew me away on the long straights haha. The speedo cable broke halfway along so im not sure of its top speed, but i stuck my head up over the instruments at one stage and the needle was waving around at 200cliks. Ahh the memories. Would you like a pic?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:11 pm

[quote="Chillin"]Nah, I did own a white MK1 at the time, but the project started out as one of those little 650t tourers. I rebuilt the whole thing (owned as M'bike shop at the time) from the ground up, Carbon fibre tank and ducktail, lightweight everything and an explosive engine worked over with all the usual tricks and topped off with pumper carbs off a GSXR 750. It was about the same size as the V50monza, but with a whole lot more poke and heaps nimble. I used to ride out to the Putty rd at weekends and take on all comers to Colo and back, ah the memories. I also rode it down to Bathurs one year and diced with some guy on a GSZR1100 the whole way up the Bells line and down to Lithgow. Had a ball, but he blew me away on the long straights haha. The speedo cable broke halfway along so im not sure of its top speed, but i stuck my head up over the instruments at one stage and the needle was waving around at 200cliks. Ahh the memories. Would you like a pic?[/quote]
Hell yeah!
You also listed 2 of my favourite roads within an evening's drive of Sydney. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Purple, I have an old Albert Whiteman -Hot Buttered Knormal Kneeboard ATM, it has afew battle scars but not too bad for its age....just thought you may be interested, I know the local kneelos like it....

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:38 am

^^^that sounds nice like a nice board. if i had a job i'd be very interested. i can't even afford a new block of wax -- i'm contemplating using a buble gum smelling lump that someone left in the back of the car.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:54 pm

Here's the little Guzzi.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Noice!!

BTW the first one I rode was a black tank, red stripe S2 750 sport (with the front disc brake), then a MK 1 and Mk 2 (all new in their day).

Currently doing a resto on a civilian 1944 1200cc HD flathead bobber. 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:55 pm

purple pyramids wrote:^^^that sounds nice like a nice board. if i had a job i'd be very interested. i can't even afford a new block of wax -- i'm contemplating using a buble gum smelling lump that someone left in the back of the car.
shame, would like it to go to a kneelo who would appreciate it...was told a story bout the shaper the other day, sad stuff....

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:00 pm

The board is now reshaped. Its a simple pintail single fin (surprise surprise), however the bottm shape and rails are modernised, single into double into spiral v. Soft rails up front getting harder to a razor edge in the tail. Pics later.