accessories

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

accessories

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:50 am

Was a little surprised on the weekend to hear one of the guys in the longboard club ask is it normal to provide a board with fins. :shock:

Yep you guessed it he had to acquire his own fins, to make matters worse the fin box was set at an angle. Oh well. :lol: He’s not too keen on the board at this point in time. Beats me why. :mrgreen:

It’s a parabolic stringer EPS foam number so very light. You can feel it flex under your feet. Had a few waves on it myself to satisfy my curiosity and his general lack of enthusiasm for it to hopefully find some positives for him. I thought it went OK, very easy to throw around due to the light weight but that may also be its ultimate demise as it gets thrown about pretty easily by chop.

Somehow I don’t think he’ll be keeping it.

So unless you’re Derek Hynd, I guess fins would be considered a fairly integral part of a surfboard purchase.

otway1949
barnacle

Re: accessories

Post by otway1949 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:38 am

ric_vidal wrote:Was a little surprised on the weekend to hear one of the guys in the longboard club ask is it normal to provide a board with fins. :shock:

Yep you guessed it he had to acquire his own fins, to make matters worse the fin box was set at an angle. Oh well. :lol: He’s not too keen on the board at this point in time. Beats me why. :mrgreen:

Somehow I don’t think he’ll be keeping it.

So unless you’re Derek Hynd, I guess fins would be considered a fairly integral part of a surfboard purchase.
Sounds like China Syndrome to me, a GSI beastie perhaps, I'd be amazed at any old hand at surfing thinking fins were an extra :!: :?: Sadness at this :cry:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:42 pm

Well Firewire obviously don't believe you need fins either... :wink:

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:44 pm

So they didn't throw in a block of wax and a leggie and a board cover either :roll: . Where is the "Love" these days - I ask ya!!! :shock:

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:02 pm

like selling a car without wheels. the shaper needs clip over the ear :wink:
signatures, finally got it covered.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:41 am

otway1949 wrote:Sounds like China Syndrome to me, a GSI beastie perhaps, I'd be amazed at any old hand at surfing thinking fins were an extra :!: :?: Sadness at this :cry:
No, a smallish northern beaches brand, and the price probably reflected the lack of aforementioned fins but geeezus you’d think they would warn a punter first.

carpet
Grommet

Post by carpet » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:55 am

on the plus side,it saves having to pay good money for crap glassflex fins,trying to unload them on ebay,then purchase p-c fins,you can actually buy the fins you want

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:58 pm

^^we have been able to order our prefferrreed fins for quite a long while now. matter a fact ive a couple boards designed around the fins.
only thing i hope is like ric said before, hope the shaper informs buyers before hand. perhaps the boards sell for minus the fin price, i dont know.
i certainly would not be too happy if went to pick up new board and was informed fins extra :?:
signatures, finally got it covered.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:15 pm

ric_vidal wrote: Yep you guessed it he had to acquire his own fins, to make matters worse the fin box was set at an angle. Oh well. :lol: He’s not too keen on the board at this point in time. Beats me why. :mrgreen:
This is what made me think of the China Syndrome box, not on straight, don't worry they all look the same!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:36 am

otway1949 wrote:
ric_vidal wrote: Yep you guessed it he had to acquire his own fins, to make matters worse the fin box was set at an angle. Oh well. :lol: He’s not too keen on the board at this point in time. Beats me why. :mrgreen:
This is what made me think of the China Syndrome box, not on straight, don't worry they all look the same!
You wouldn’t believe, actually yes you would :D the ‘variety’ of workmanship that comes through. Had one recently, all shiny and purdy, one side fin was a totally different fin angle and toe-in :shock: and yes it was from offshore.

Reality is though some of the ‘production’ boards made here aren’t a whole lot better. :roll:

Oh how I take delight in pointing these things out. :twisted:

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:46 pm

Um - this is sorta still on topic. Well it is in as much as its about fins for longboards.
Scenario is - I got an offer too good to refuse (a 9 footer for no handover of $) - but it has no fins. Its got a 2 plus one set up with a center box and the usual two side fitments. So question - and given its a soft railed 50/50, round tail with a long concave and rolled V botton down the last 12 inches - where should i put the centre fin in relation to the side bites - indeed if I choose to put them in?
How far from the trailing edge in a single set up to the tail or how far from the trailing edge of the side bites to the leading edge of the main big fin.
Shit its a can of worms with flex or not on the big one - and should it be a 7inch or 9" or cutaway with rake or large base or or or...?? So many questions - any ideas.
Other important dims are 2 and 7/8 thick and 22 and 5/8 wide. :roll: :oops:

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:30 pm

Jorgo, try it everyway, scounge a collection of fins from mates etc, centre fin try it about middle box or set at the line of the tips of your side bites, the smaller the side bites the deeper you can go with centre fin bear in mind that if you surf as a single it will pivot beautifully but if you hit a hard arc at the top of the wave you are likely to lift the fin out of the water and slide on your rail out of control, some people can recover sometimes, most include me can't.
Tune your fins to your surfing is the only answer. Watch old surf movies thru to the twinny era will sort of explain the thinking behind each additional fin advance.
Go out and play :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:25 am

on my 2 + 1's I start with my centre fin about an inch from the back of the box, find that is usually a good spot to start, then fine tune from there, you'll know when it is right...but for me it is surprising how often whatever you try first, ends up being what you stick with, anyone else the same ???

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:47 am

pridmore wrote:on my 2 + 1's I start with my centre fin about an inch from the back of the box, find that is usually a good spot to start, then fine tune from there, you'll know when it is right...but for me it is surprising how often whatever you try first, ends up being what you stick with, anyone else the same ???
Yeah over time you get to know where to put your centre fin. Once its set I rarely move it. You see some guys boards with the fin pushed as far forward as it will go "to make it looser". I like it back more for drive and noseriding.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:59 am

J-Lo, I assume the sides are FCS plugs? If so then in some ways your selection is relatively limited and reckon most of them on offer are too big. Having said that my mal has gone from a single fin to a 2+1 to now a thruster set-up of about M5 type size so I’m not a good person to give advice.

I’m with Otway’49, start in the middle, if it feels too pivoty and lacks drive move it back and the opposite for the opposite. Singles to me feel too much like you are turning on a top and seem to lack that more controlled directional drive/carve type feel. Then again that could be my general lack of ability. :D

Yours sounds like it is more of a noserider but most people reckon they need to be longer than 9'.

Comparatively now not a big fan of single fin in my mal so wouldn’t go back. The 2+1 was a pretty good set-up with a approx 7" Dion cutaway and small Speeedfins. Next, might turn it into a quad or just make another one. :?

Once again I’m with Ot’49, just go out and have a play, no one knows what another likes to feel.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks all - yeah I reckon its a suck it and see approach. And yes Ric tis a FCS side bites fitment - so I'll give it a go with and without and play with the single option. Otway - thanks, I'll try the leading edge of the "big" fin lining up with the tip of the rake of the side bites. I've got a Soar 7 inch (oh my god - did I write that) - so I'll give that a go with the side bites as well and the larger single. And Ric you are right - 9 foot does sound a tad smaller than usual for a noserider with that much and length of concave - maybe it was made for a lighter midget (not Farrelly)