Thinking of getting a longboard - suggestions

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: Thinking of getting a longboard - suggestions

Post by WANDERER » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:07 pm

nuffink ngo wrote:
WANDERER wrote:I am more than happy to back up what iggy has said about Ric, I have had trouble earlier this year with getting the right longboard I had been after, including an $1100 custom from a seemingly highly regarded shaper that turned out to be a complete dog,
[/blowing rics whistle]
not wilde about the design aye
Thats well and truly a miss there champ, Sean (Wilde) never made me a bad board, the $1100 custom was from further afield and I'll leave it at that, I endorse Seans craftsmanship to this day.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:22 am

Geez I go do a few days work up the coast and people start talking. :shock:

Thanks for the kind words guys, there is only so much I will say about the design methodology, but once the design is there it’s totally hands on from start to finish, like RichQ (Pure) and perhaps many others. Some guys just like the shaping process and it is hard to describe, but guess it just comes down to crafting something.

Difference for me is I don’t particularly subscribe to any formulae, whereas I think a bunch of shapers do to the extent that they perhaps aren’t giving their customers what they want. All seems to be about models and machines and chasing the same dollar.

Unfortunately it appears people often equate price paid for some guarantee of success, and from what I have now learnt they might be the worst as the production workers are more concerned about their next dollar and ‘good enough’, well is it? Yes there is that whole brand value thing, but give me a board that suits, not looks the part.

Wrote on here once before, there was a shaper in our longboard club and his advice to me many moons ago was go to a shaper who you already like their boards, don’t expect them to make something ‘like’ someone else does. Now I can see the value in that except I don’t have a particular ‘style’ for want of a better word. That’s probably driven by a desire to build a very specific board for each individual.

Great admiration for Sean (Wilde) and his open-mindedness, just think some areas let him down, but he’s not unique in over promising. He can do it and seems a gentle character.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:52 am

And so the question I have asked Ric personally comes to mind.

How many people don't know Ric? I think Ric must be one degree of separation from every surfer in Oz. Don't know how he does it.

Suppose if I live to be as old as him I might know a few people as well! :wink:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:46 pm

Deal is done

Should have my new 8'6" board in about 6 weeks :D
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 pm

Hatchman wrote:Deal is done

Six weeks before it's hatched, beauty enjoy :D :D
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:39 pm

WANDERER wrote: .
Wands - just curious: I'm very familiar with the surf spot shown in your picture-thing at the bottom of your blurbs. Are you a local there? Is it you on the wave? That's a long distance shot from the lookout. Were you checking it? Curious to know the significance of the pic.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:41 pm

Hatchy wrote:Deal is done

Paging Hatchnam, paging Hatchnam.

So, how did the new board end up?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:13 am

Bloody hell Damage this one goes back a way

The board turned out beautifully mate, matter of fact I'm about to head out on it now :)

Grant made it exactly how I wanted, nice and fast and well suited to the waves I wanted to ride it in. He put a single fin box in with the extra options of having fins on the side but I have never used them. I really like the loose feel of the single fin, I don't think I'll ever bother with 3 fins.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:26 am

So what length did you end up going Groots?

I ask because naturally it seems I'm in the same position as you were 3 years ago or so. Just sussing out a few options.

Was gonna head down to Bennetts in Harbord just in case anyone wants to throw in their 2 cents worth. Very much a novice long boarder but just wanting to get one for the quiver.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Also, do you think Grant would be happy to do a longboard ie 9 foot plus?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Get a Jackson. I got one last year, 9'1'' modern style longboard. Faarking great board. From knee high, to bit overhead, steepish, flattish, low tide, high tide, it fuggen rocks. round pin tail, a 10'' Shapers Big kahuna fin. Super fun in just about everything i surf it in. I surfed it in little overhead steepish waves the other week, thought i'd stuff a few take offs, didn't miss any, and it dropped in smooth as silk.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Damage wrote:So what length did you end up going Groots?

I ask because naturally it seems I'm in the same position as you were 3 years ago or so. Just sussing out a few options.

Was gonna head down to Bennetts in Harbord just in case anyone wants to throw in their 2 cents worth. Very much a novice long boarder but just wanting to get one for the quiver.
8'6" mate. I was entertaining going up to 9 foot but I thought it may get too much of a handful in 6 foot waves. A mate of mine had a 9'2" and he never liked taking it out around 6', just too much of a hassle in clean up sets and when you get caught on the inside. I also wanted something that would turn easier on the rails as well as I am not much of a back foot surfer

Go the single fin too, they're great boards, fast and loose so you tend to cruise.
buzzy wrote:Also, do you think Grant would be happy to do a longboard ie 9 foot plus?
Couldn't see why not mate but is Grant back from his sabbatical overseas?
Beerfan wrote:Get a Jackson. I got one last year, 9'1'' modern style longboard. Faarking great board. From knee high, to bit overhead, steepish, flattish, low tide, high tide, it fuggen rocks. round pin tail, a 10'' Shapers Big kahuna fin. Super fun in just about everything i surf it in. I surfed it in little overhead steepish waves the other week, thought i'd stuff a few take offs, didn't miss any, and it dropped in smooth as silk.
I nearly went for an Island Performance Mal (Phillip Island based shapers). But then as Grant shaped me such a beautiful board already I thought I'd stick with a known quantity

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Damage wrote:So what length did you end up going Groots?
Hang on a sec, are you the same dimensions as Grooter, Damage?
Coops, where's that list?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:13 pm

Get fcuked ... a longboard is a longboard ... you know ... 9 foot plus ... but ... 7 foots and 6's or 8 feet n 6 of rounded nosed and full body ... is either a very large jewish woman or a mini-mal ... fun board my arse ... no that is not a request ... where the fook is Zappa when you kneed him ... dodo ... doh ... doe or dough ... I want a handsome little jewish princess with a couple of sisters that can raise a few blisters ... with overworked gums ... who squeaks when she cums ... thats being Frank.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote: where you enter a dangerous threshold.
Yeah it is a bit like Stonehenge in there.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:13 am

Beerfan wrote:Get a Jackson. I got one last year, 9'1'' modern style longboard. Faarking great board. From knee high, to bit overhead, steepish, flattish, low tide, high tide, it fuggen rocks. round pin tail, a 10'' Shapers Big kahuna fin. Super fun in just about everything i surf it in. I surfed it in little overhead steepish waves the other week, thought i'd stuff a few take offs, didn't miss any, and it dropped in smooth as silk.
I'll 2nd that. My custom from last year is amazing and has done wonders for my surfing (no easy feat!). They're great people to deal with too. It's 9'6'' with a very flat rocker so it's not suited to everything I throw at it (longboard comps aren't always held in longboard-firendly waves :D ) but it's a beauty.

(I'm liking the look of their Venom mid-length model too. Might consider a purchase in the near future if finances allow.)
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:34 am

Just picked up a second hand 9'6" Bob Brown longboard pics to follow just getting my lawn sorted before posting.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Spoon wrote:pics to follow just getting my lawn sorted before posting.

Surfin' hasn't been around for ages :wink:
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.