Thinking of getting a longboard - suggestions

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Thinking of getting a longboard - suggestions

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:33 am

Hey Hatchery, made something along these lines for a guy a few years ago, rode it myself quite a few times and surprisingly manoeuvrable for a big unit, reluctantly gave it back to him, which is probably good as I was a wave pig when riding it and sitting much further out…

7'9.5" x 22 x 2.75 - Nose 16.25", Tail 15" with fairly forward fin positions especially the rear. Pretty simple contours as Wanderer notes... but this did have a slight concave under the nose (it can help), flat through the guts and slight convex through the back for easy transition... and of course flutes to make it more difficult to shape, glass, sand, etc. :lol:
hatch.jpg
hatch.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 8763 times
Keep in mind your Miller is a shortboard type shape so NO nose area, point being (or not in this case :D) having a fuller nose like these basically extends the boards length. So don't feel you have to go too long.

9'+ is another kettle of fish.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Being small (67kg) and old (53yesterdy) iv had my share of board probs. Iv got a 9'mal (Razar) and a 8'mal (JB performer) and iv had fish of all sizes and paddled a few nuggets, singles, and mid sized (7'-7'10") shortboard shaped hybrids. Sadly, there is nothing that catches waves waves, especially slow fat waves, like a 9' mal. A slight concave under the nose is fine, but more important is a flat entry, which a light concave can contribute to, for getting into waves early. I havn't ridden the 9'ter for allmost a year since getting the 8'ter, this is because its only fractionally slower into waves, but it a hell of a lot more manouverable. It also works relly well in big waves and i will often chose it over the 6'9" pintail if the paddle out is reasonable. If you are interested in a good paddling 8' board, have a good look at the Mctavish carver, it might just fit the bill.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 am

I won't venture into the board recommendation thing in any detail - lots of shapers do lots of good boards, so many would suit. I reckon though if you want an 8'2" get an 8'2". I personally don't get the notion that a 9' board is better than an 8' board. Same as I don't think a 6' board is better than a 7' board. They're all different, have different performance attributes and will do different things well.

Having said all that if you aren't a dedicated "longboarder" I don't know why you'd want to use a 9' plus longboard in surf above, say, 3 foot. Not unless you're Bonga Perkins. I just reckon in 3 foot and above surf a shortboard (in its various guises) is a better horse for the course.

That might lead you to the view that a 9 footer is therefore better as a small wave choice but to that I say "it depends". It depends what sort of surfing you want to do. If you don't want to do any noseriding then I reckon the extra 1 foot of length is a waste. If there's no hassling for early wave entry in small surf (and Iassume that's only a problem at major metro beaches, not down in Port Phillip Bay) and you're not noseriding then I reckon the 8 foot setup sounds sensible.

On the McCoys the big problem with them is that the boyancy which makes them so good in small to mid size days is a real hindrance on bigger days. Duckdiving is a nightmare.I have a single fin version @ 6'6" and a little thinner than the norm and I love it. I definiely don't rip it up, but I do ok on my good days. I only use it in small to moderate surf though, and use more conventional boards when it gets bigger. I reckon the performance attributes you talk about are around also the people who buy the board rather than the design. McCoy hasn't suddenly gone from top 10 shaper/designer of all time to nong. The Boards are great. But they're designed for a mediocre surfer, so its no surprise a mediocre surfer will surf them in a mediocre fashion. Put a good surfer on them and you'd see better surfing. Also, they actually go better in hollow surf than fat surf, but they go good in fat surf too. They just loosen up and go faster in hollow waves, which they're designed to do. No idea why.

My suggestion would also be to go back to Miller and chat to him about what you want. Why? because he knows you, is meticulous, and will make a board for you based on some prior background. Anyone else will be playing catchup in terms of their knowledge of your preferences etc.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:30 am

^^^

Cheers buzzy that was really helpful advice.

I spent a lot of time thinking about it on the weekend and I reckon your right, 9' is too long for me and I'm thinking more around an 8'6" now.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:54 pm

I reckon a nice 8ft performance mal would be perfect for your needs Hatch. Something like this, which is 7'9" X 21 1/2" X 2 3/4", just scaled up a fraction more. Probably with a bit more pulled in tail,this one is more aimed at an entry level surfer, with a bit more area in the back for stability. Check the decal that Ian (SDC on these forums) from surf decals did for it. Not my cup of tea the whole silver surfer thing, but the customer wanted it, and was stoked with the outcome.

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:06 am

Why don't you talk to Jim Banks about his mk iii fishes? They are very smooth and can handle 6 foot plus, you get lots of foam and float and down the line speed. I have a 6'1" one and have ridden double overhead with no slippage (in fact mine is a mk ii and is too tight).

An 8'2" is a mini-mal, what's the use of that, ride a short board when it's bigger and a proper 9 foot plus longboard when it's small and you get the best of both worlds... on an 8 footer you can feeeeel those turns that you would do on your short board but not quite nail them. On a 9 foot plus board you are on the nose or gliding from the mid point and don't even remember what you'd normally do on a section... you're too relaxed to care.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Have you thought about the Trigger Brothers Stubbie? When i was doing a course down at Westernport, every man and his dog seemed to be on a trigger board...
I surf with a guy at Cronulla from time to time and he's on a McTavish Carver, he loves it.

I'm with monkey man though... as much as i like riding all kinds of boards... i either want to be shortboarding or longboarding... I got on the midlength bandwagon for a while, but the powerglide just sits in the garage collecting dust these days and serves as a spare for when mate come over with out equipment.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:57 am

Cant say I agree with either of the above comments. Why restrict yourself to riding either one or the other? Thats what makes powerglides and other similar boards a good option and its versatility.
Donald Takayama has a model called the Scorpion that looks similar to a Powerglide that range from around 6 -8 feet in length and now even come with a quad option ( but pretty expensive ) that look pretty good and theres a similar Walden model as well. Its a wonder Mark Pridmore hasn't had a crack at making something similar with all the experimenting he's doing
I pretty much know if its 2-3 feet surf I can chuck this board in the car and know that I'm going to have fun on it. How many times have you sat out there thinking you should have bought a longboard or a shorter board? If your self concious about being seen out on a "mini mal" who really cares anyway.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:55 am

It's a bit like in skiing where some people say you only need a narrow carve/race ski or a super wide powder ski and nothing in between is valid. Which I reckon is to deny yourself a whole range of options and experiences. Same with surfing; I reckon shortboards and fishes and eggs and mid lengths and 8 footers and logger mals and performance mals and guns and quads and I could go on (and on and on)....they all have their place.

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:36 pm

F..k yeh Buzzy I agree 100%.Every thing has its specialty thats why I must have everything.I still havent ridden a booga yet though :oops:

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:21 pm

nu boy wrote:F..k yeh Buzzy I agree 100%.Every thing has its specialty thats why I must have everything.I still havent ridden a booga yet though
My mate got back on the booger down at Wombarra the other day and said he had an absolute ball...

Said he forgot how much fun it can be when the waves suit. I don't remember the last time i got on my booger... couldn't imagine they'll be a swell big enough over the summer to warrant it really.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:08 am

JET01 wrote:Have you thought about the Trigger Brothers Stubbie? When i was doing a course down at Westernport, every man and his dog seemed to be on a trigger board...
I surf with a guy at Cronulla from time to time and he's on a McTavish Carver, he loves it.
Yeah I've looked into the stubbies but I haven't heard a lot of good things about them from the locals. Plus I don't think they shape them anymore, pretty sure they get them made O/S now.

Good news is that the taxman came through with the dollars, I'm going to go with an 8'6" and hopefully will get it sorted in a couple of months. Need to do some work around the house though and it will involve installing a water tank so need to manage the $$$
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:11 am

ric_vidal wrote:Hey Hatchery, made something along these lines for a guy a few years ago, rode it myself quite a few times and surprisingly manoeuvrable for a big unit, reluctantly gave it back to him, which is probably good as I was a wave pig when riding it and sitting much further out…

7'9.5" x 22 x 2.75 - Nose 16.25", Tail 15" with fairly forward fin positions especially the rear. Pretty simple contours as Wanderer notes... but this did have a slight concave under the nose (it can help), flat through the guts and slight convex through the back for easy transition... and of course flutes to make it more difficult to shape, glass, sand, etc. :lol:

Keep in mind your Miller is a shortboard type shape so NO nose area, point being (or not in this case :D) having a fuller nose like these basically extends the boards length. So don't feel you have to go too long.

Cheers Ric

How would those flutes work on a board around 8'6"?

Fuller nose intrigues me as well

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:41 am

Hatchman wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:Hey Hatchery, made something along these lines for a guy a few years ago, rode it myself quite a few times and surprisingly manoeuvrable for a big unit, reluctantly gave it back to him, which is probably good as I was a wave pig when riding it and sitting much further out…

Cheers Ric

How would those flutes work on a board around 8'6"?

Fuller nose intrigues me as well
if you'll pardon the pun this is an all rounder that at 8' 6" that I would ve hapy to ride . Ric would certainly clue you on the mixture of his flutes and the rail combo at the tail, the flutes as I see it will allow you to hold the face on steeper sections yet still have the turn it power, if I was buying I'd give this one a good review on spec alone!
Thoughts on fuller noses gives a floating volume to the board.
A real good move is if you have some video of your surfing show ya shaper.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:08 pm

^^^^

Ya reckon Ric will tear me a new one?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well at least her airbags were working!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:06 pm

I am more than happy to back up what iggy has said about Ric, I have had trouble earlier this year with getting the right longboard I had been after, including an $1100 custom from a seemingly highly regarded shaper that turned out to be a complete dog, the difference of course, as clearly stipulated by Ric at the time, was that I'd tell him what I wanted the board to do and not what sort of board I wanted and he'd make the board he'd thought would do the job, well I'll be honest, when he arrived with the Magic Wand model I was taken aback and yet extremely intrigued, it looked different to what i had been used to, however, after just a few rides I was hooked and since then the Mkii Magic Wand model is even better, Ric built me a perfect compromise between old-skool noseriding with just the right amount of nu-skool manouvreability, it's exactly what I was after and if it wasn't for the bollox that is takin up all the time in my life atm I'd be out there on it 2 outta 3 days, I'm yet to repay Ric for the boards he's supplied me (other than in monetary form) but I feel comfortable that as soon as I'm out of my current job and self employed I will find enough time to invest in developing my skills and form to the point that will do the magic wand model and Ric justice on both the competitive and freesurfing scene, I see no reason why at the very least some of the local boardriders club crew (who are reasonably close acquiantences of Ric and myself) are spending big money on rubbish popouts when in their midst Ric can make them the right board for them at a price that's reasonable to both buyer and builder.

[/blowing rics whistle]
Last edited by WANDERER on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Hear, fcuking hear Wands.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes