7S Superfish Feedback

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Saltman 2

Re: 7S Superfish Feedback

Post by Saltman 2 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:48 pm

[quote="pridmore"]fair question BF. Maybe there should be a 'C' option here though...maybe it could read like this -
C- after riding it and realizing it makes you surf better and enjoy your time in the water alot more, you suss out the design and learn why it is working so well for you so you can include the design features into your next board from an Aussie shaper .... quote]
OR D
learn to use Aku shaper or similar software on your PC, cruise swaylocks for info. Import all the information you can muster from the mass produced but name designed asian import you like so much. Tweak here and there if you dare.
Buy the appropriate blank LOCALLY , Pay about $40 for machine shaping of the CAD profile you have played with. Borrow or pay a few bucks to use the said LOCAL machine and blank supplier to use his bay for an hour or two. Scrub the bugger up (the board that is) learn how friggin fiddly it can be. then pay LOCAL glasser whatever to glass it. Hey it may not be perfect but you will learn as much as you save in $$$. And will either feel good about making something work just for yourself or start to really appreciatre the artisans that surround you.
Win Win
unless you dont have access to these fine services
Love not what you are, but what you may become

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:39 am

Option "C" is a good one mark. I should've added that.

Saltman2, why do you need the machine?. Most blanks are close tolerance, with a range of rockers. All you really need is a back shed, and some sandpaper, and maybe a few other commonly found tools. I do agree though, riding a board you've made is pretty satisfying. But you are right in that it is very fiddly and bloody hard to get right. Cheers to the experts!.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:48 pm

good mate has one and glass job *looks* sub-par, like its just waiting to delaminate or something, cos hes already got some weird stuff happening there. saying that, its taken a few beatings so who knows.

boards like the 7S superfish are a product of their own marketing power. why would so many people buy one without knowing how they surf? its all pretty colours, oversaturation in the surfboard market and "retro" chic.

that said, where we surf we get alot of cruddy summer slop and he loves it for this. but with no other quad/fish to compare it to he wouldnt really know would he.

carpet
Grommet

Post by carpet » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:07 pm

word is gary from wizstix gets $35 per 7sfish sold 'this is just cream on top of his shaping business,good luck to him i say

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Hey Sean hope Pam is around when Rabbidge does the colour on your 10 footer as he is colour blind!! Was an interesting wait to see what his interpretation of my request for "mustard yellow rails, you know Mark like the old Keens Mustard powder tins" on a nine six single he made me. Pam must have been there cause he got the colour right.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:16 pm

bombora wrote:Hey Sean hope Pam is around when Rabbidge does the colour on your 10 footer as he is colour blind!! Was an interesting wait to see what his interpretation of my request for "mustard yellow rails, you know Mark like the old Keens Mustard powder tins" on a nine six single he made me. Pam must have been there cause he got the colour right.
I just got off the phone speaking to him and he's got the 10 shaped but when I spoke to him about the colour he thought it was something else. Just as well he hasnt sprayed it yet. He did tell me a while back that he's colour blind because he wanted to get marine qualifications a long time back and you cant get them if your colour blind.
Its still going to go good no matter what the colour is. The 9 he did for me is a bloody gem.

hodad69

Post by hodad69 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:40 am

This is me off to get STOKED in my local bought Toyota truck with my local bought 7S board. Also my local bought O'Neill wetsuit (made in Thailand ) with my hat thats made in the Dominican Rep. My shirt thats made in China, my pants made in mexico and on and on.... When the world turns for just you all, let me know , maybe I will buy from you too :lol: :lol: You go GSI! you got them all upset :lol:

Thanks for the laughs!

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:29 pm

my vote for the funniest post ever :D :) :P :lol: :roll:
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Put my thumb nail through the bottom layer of an old 7S glass job yesterday... oops! :D :roll:

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:32 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Put my thumb nail through the bottom layer of an old 7S glass job yesterday... oops! :D :roll:
Ar eyou poking fun at them.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:07 am

daryl wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:Put my thumb nail through the bottom layer of an old 7S glass job yesterday... oops! :D :roll:
Ar eyou poking fun at them.
Daz, would I do that? :mrgreen: Seen some very ordinary glass job or probably sanding or foam would be more to the point. Egg shells... same thing happens here, not that you can tell to it’s too late.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:46 am

I'm going to put my hand up as being a bit slow, but I just read the flashing banner ad on the front page of realsurf (yeah, I occasionally go there).

It says

We Say

"Rides like a longboard, paddles like a shortboard."

They Say

"Unreal, stoked as, etc.."

I hadn't noticed that before. I always though it was a normal 7S ad and didn't read it closely.'

Fiendish in its entrickacy!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:51 am

oldman wrote:I'm going to put my hand up as being a bit slow, but I just read the flashing banner ad on the front page of realsurf (yeah, I occasionally go there).

It says

We Say

"Rides like a longboard, paddles like a shortboard."

They Say

"Unreal, stoked as, etc.."

I hadn't noticed that before. I always though it was a normal 7S ad and didn't read it closely.'

Fiendish in its entrickacy!
:lol: whoa who'd a noticed :shock: ya buy the thing, don't unpack all the box, and get out there and go hey i must be up shite creek, where's me paddle.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:38 pm

The 7S advert now says;

We say;

paddles like a longboard, rides like a shortboard" etc.

Now I am left wondering whether someone fixed this, or whether I alerted them to a very clever hack by somebody, probably from these forums,

or I just imagined the whole thing.

I hope I didn't imagine it, fair dinkum I checked it half a dozen times just to see if I was reading it correctly.

Can anyone confirm that at least on the basis of the evidence of the last few posts, that I haven't lost my mind?

Who was the clever hacker?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:15 pm

oldman wrote:The 7S advert now says;

We say;

paddles like a longboard, rides like a shortboard" etc.

Now I am left wondering whether someone fixed this, or whether I alerted them to a very clever hack by somebody, probably from these forums,

or I just imagined the whole thing.

I hope I didn't imagine it, fair dinkum I checked it half a dozen times just to see if I was reading it correctly.

Can anyone confirm that at least on the basis of the evidence of the last few posts, that I haven't lost my mind?

Who was the clever hacker?
14.14 26th /10/09 still running the hack maybe they've gone for honesty in advertising :roll:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Billyofthesouth

Post by Billyofthesouth » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi all.

I've read this topic with a bit of interest because I'm keen to get back into surfing and someone told me these boards were the way to go.

My history is this - I'm 28, 5'11" and 83-ish kilograms, I'm from Brisbane originally and surfed in my teens (as a weekend/school hols warrior on the gold & sunny coasts), I certainly didn't ever rip but was well beyond the novice/beginner phase. Since I moved to Adelaide about 5 years ago I haven't really gotten wet at all (something about the cold water and sharks kind of turned me off for a while)... but I'm very keen to get back into it.

Given the usual conditions on the mid & south coasts here and the fact that I need to seriously rediscover my feet (not to mention fitness) I was thinking that something like this board could be the go, but comments on this forum & others are leading me to seriously reconsider.

There's a bloke in Adelaide that does a quad fish/shortboard hybrid that sounds like it suits the conditions here really well, should I be looking at this kind of thing (or the 7s superfish) or is it better to go with a standard shortboard?

And what length? 6'4-ish?

Any help would be much appreciated!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Honestly start on a mini-mal, may 7'6 - 8'0" just til you get the basics down again, then progress to a wider fish-hybrid type shape...width and volume are your friends....dont wanna get the wrong board and not enjoy it..... 8)

spotty
Local

Post by spotty » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Never surfed one...

Did not take the time to read this thread...

But here are my thoughts nevertheless...

They look like shyt and i would not waste my time even trying one...

:D
"Surfing is 90% mental, the other half is physical."

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly alright"... Jack Norris.