Meyerhoffer?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Ned Flanders
Grommet

Meyerhoffer?

Post by Ned Flanders » Fri May 29, 2009 11:14 am

I have been reading bits and peices about the Meyerhoffer designed longboard.

Has anyone ridden it? Whats it like?

puurri
Owl status

Re: Meyerhoffer?

Post by puurri » Fri May 29, 2009 11:43 am

Ned Flanders wrote:I have been reading bits and peices about the Meyerhoffer designed longboard.

Has anyone ridden it? Whats it like?
ask Baba Roy, he'll probably throw a hissy fit.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri May 29, 2009 2:24 pm

I saw some mong riding one at dy the other day, I LOL'd

I don't care how 'revolutionary' it is or how much better performance it allegedly has, It looks faarken rude and stupid... 'twill make its way to the surf museum as a quirky anomoly and thats about it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri May 29, 2009 5:40 pm

I reckon they probably do go good until they snap in the middle which is obviously there weakest spot.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri May 29, 2009 7:34 pm

they would have to go extremely well coz not too many people wanna ride a board that looks like a deformed penis....

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri May 29, 2009 8:45 pm

It looks more like a magnum ice cream stick

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat May 30, 2009 2:07 pm

pridmore wrote:they would have to go extremely well coz not too many people wanna ride a board that looks like a deformed penis....
MP, you need to see your doctor immediately. :D

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat May 30, 2009 11:00 pm

sean-- wrote:It looks more like a magnum ice cream stick
After seeing those skateboards that look like it and snow boards I think all boards will be like that in the future.....and chrome,everything will be chrome and like a magnum.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:59 pm

I surfed out at Phillip Island on Saturday at Shelly Beach. As i was getting out an older guy paddled out a board that looked similar to a Meyehoffer. Shaped by OKE (VIC shaper i think), it was a peanut shaped thing, about 9ft, and with a massive flyer in it. It had a pretty sweet paint job too.

I must admit that I was surprised by your comments MP, aren't you one of the biggest advocates for getting behind futuristic designs? I thought you'd be stoked on the uncharted territory... :wink:

The waves were maxing out at a clean 1.5 foot and it was pretty cool and windy. So as soon as i was dressed i nicked off to get a coffee. Didn't see the guy get a wave, but from what the other locals say, that guy was pretty notorious for having a new board ever couple of weeks or so.

I think people focus on aesthetics and that kind of bulls#@t way too much... I did when i started surfing and wasted a lot of time. People should be more focused on getting a board that maximises fun. Chances are the old guy's stoked about his "deformed penis" board... he got a new nickname out of it at least. He's now affectionately known as "Peanut" to the boys down there near Right Point.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun May 31, 2009 9:17 pm

I just checked out the OKE website and there's a pic of the guys board being shaped, and a pic of the final product... have a go at these! :shock:

http://www.okesurfboards.com/news.php

http://www.okesurfboards.com/e107_plugi ... ds%2F7.JPG
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun May 31, 2009 9:52 pm

JET01 wrote:I surfed out at Phillip Island on Saturday at Shelly Beach. As i was getting out an older guy paddled out a board that looked similar to a Meyehoffer. Shaped by OKE (VIC shaper i think), it was a peanut shaped thing, about 9ft, and with a massive flyer in it. It had a pretty sweet paint job too.

I must admit that I was surprised by your comments MP, aren't you one of the biggest advocates for getting behind futuristic designs? I thought you'd be stoked on the uncharted territory... :wink:

The waves were maxing out at a clean 1.5 foot and it was pretty cool and windy. So as soon as i was dressed i nicked off to get a coffee. Didn't see the guy get a wave, but from what the other locals say, that guy was pretty notorious for having a new board ever couple of weeks or so.

I think people focus on aesthetics and that kind of bulls#@t way too much... I did when i started surfing and wasted a lot of time. People should be more focused on getting a board that maximises fun. Chances are the old guy's stoked about his "deformed penis" board... he got a new nickname out of it at least. He's now affectionately known as "Peanut" to the boys down there near Right Point.
yeah was a bit of negative comment from me, I do like me weird designs but I only like the ones that I believe are functional and I do have some doubts on this one...I meant that they are ugly which will make marketing them near impossible...I couldnt agree more that it should be about function and not fashion but the reality is that less aesthetically pleasing designs are harder to sell even if the perform well in the water, had this discussion a few times recently...seems that some surfers are open minded enough to ride a board that isnt the best looking as long as it goes well and there is the others who wanna cool lookin stick under their arm and of course they want it to go well too but looks are vital and paramount or they wouldnt even consider riding it...no matter how much fun they may have on the less attractive and more functional design...for me, I find the ugly ones perform better ( same with boards too :roll: ), but seriously as long as the board goes well I think its great, the better it goes the better I think it looks...rant.rave.over what was this about again... :roll:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:52 am

I can see that 'nuffy' has made a post but because I have blocked his posts I can t read his negative and useless comments, I am sure he attacks me and what I am doin but to tell you the truth , I dont give a crap what he thinks, its obvios he has real 8) self esteem issues and to always criticise others without knowing them must be makin him feel like a real man...and over the net, now that must take real balls...anyway, thats the net for ya, wankers everywhere and thats why I have blocked his posts...just interested in people with something valid or at least humorous to say.... 8)

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:40 pm

On another note if someone offered me a ride on a Meyerhoffer magnum stick I'd have a go. why not ?
I rode my home made quad for the first time today.
ugly as sin, too heavily glassed and a bit too flat but was surprised it worked OK.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:21 pm

awsome stuff Sean, love to see some pics...good on ya for shapin ya own board, it is a real buzz doin ya first few and gettin stoked on riding them.... 8)

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:13 pm

I had a bit of help from a mate who had the tools but overall I'm pretty happy.
I'll send a few pics tommorow because I'm on night shift now.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:08 am

Has anyone riden the 8 footer variant? Interested to see if it performs as a noserider. Would be a lot more manageable than bringing a 10 footer around.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

surfar

Post by surfar » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:35 pm

its amusing!

go and ride the thing!

check out the GSI website

look at the YOUTUBE footage @ noosa first point,there are 2 seperate seshs when the 9/2 was ridden by a cross section of competitors.

the first session is in gutless knee high waves,it looked like it trimmed and noserode well.

2nd session was in waist high peelers(good testing conditions)the 9/2 was fast and highly manoeuverable(from my observations)

i' rode it at the crescent contest last weekend,the 9/2 is seriously fast.deep concaves and flattish rocker contributes to the speed down the line.

as far as manoueverability goes,WOW!!!! tighter arcs than a ''normal'' wide point in the middle longboard.

meyerhoffer(imo)has redesigned the longboard!

as far as being weak in the narrowest point???? its constructed from a styrene blankWITH a stringer.

2x6oz deck,1x4oz bottom...with 4 pad near fins..
from my experience thats a pretty strong combination...the deck shouldn't dent too easily.

certainly it looks ''DIFFERENT"but so did the first car to a horse rider,look at how different a mobile phone looks these days compare to a brick(thats an early mobile).early computers took up whole floors in office blocks.
just go ride the thing and then decide whether it enhances your wave riding sensation(is that why u surf?)or is it to look good/cool or like a zyrtec?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:07 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.