Meyerhoffer?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Meyerhoffer?

Post by Shari » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:35 pm

Hey everyone,

I posted a news item about these Meyerhoffers in April. It's got pics, dimensions and the theory, straight from the horse's patoot. Here's a link if ya wanta take a look:

http://www.realsurf.com/2009/0a4/09/mey ... ve-riding/

shari

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:25 pm

whats this ? Site Admin posting links to promote a board ??? :roll: .... and for the 'marketing guy' well if you think we believe you are just a surfer who rode and liked the board you are kidding ...Shapers ( myself included ) get on these forums and talk about their designs and stuff but for someone to try to lie and mislead for marketing...well just not on IMO....all 6 posts of you should pisss rightoffer.... :x

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:31 pm

Pridmore, stop being paranoid, silly boy. I have nothing to gain by selling these - nothing - i put the info out for folks to see it and read it if they're interested - i'd rather read the theory behind a new product from the source than from rumour - jaysus, i've worked on this site for years and you jump all over me - take a pill prids, maybe you need a wave. :)
shari

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:42 pm

Good on you Shari. Go on, stick up for yourself.

I know you're lurking in the background occasionally and read at least some of the muck we put out there.

Probably stops me from posting the worst of what my infantile mind can put out.

Prids, I don't think anyone thinks Shari is a marketing machine. Perhaps your comments were more directed to surfar though.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Shari wrote:Pridmore, stop being paranoid, silly boy. I have nothing to gain by selling these - nothing - i put the info out for folks to see it and read it if they're interested - i'd rather read the theory behind a new product from the source than from rumour - jaysus, i've worked on this site for years and you jump all over me - take a pill prids, maybe you need a wave. :)
shari
just seems wierd to me and sure others would agree, never seen site admin post links to design info before...is it GSI that make them ??? good on you for stickin up for yourself but after the previous post from surfar it just seemed a little odd.... I really dont think I was jumping all over you as you put it....I would gladly take a pill and I had plenty of good waves today and plenty of late so no probs there...instead of getting quite so defensive maybe have a look at this from the other perspective ? anyway, dont even care that much....if its a good design, it will sell...unless its extremely unattractive then it would be a big challenge to market it....all the best Shari... :D

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:08 pm

hey prids,
ya, was looking to see what surfar had written, then thought, gees, i just posted a whole article on this! so i thought I would toss it into the mix so the info was out there. Sadly, I haven't yet taken the time to take one for a wave though Kel at GSI has said that there's one there anytime. I'll have to not be such a slacker and get on with it. They'll undoubtedly have some at the Snowy in Manly this weekend if you guys want a gander at them. I've seen a couple of guys ride them and they look like they turn pretty well. Have you tried one?

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Hey oldman, thanks mate.

too true, I am hear all da time, and I look at the forums a lot. ;)

surfar is brand new to the forums, for this post . we got his, er, nice email, today.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:20 pm

not yet but I am keen to , as I am always keen to ride anything new, different and weird...for example tomorrow I have 3 boards in the wagon ready...1 is the Swinger, 1 is a Fireball Fish shaped by Tommy Peterson with step bottom and all sorts of channells and the other is the AquaBat with butterfly quad fins...so its not that I am against any new or innovative designs, just the plug for the design and GSI seemed odd coming from site admin....I would like to ride one but havent seen any around here...I did check one out very thoroughly when I watched the Noosa longboard final...actually discussing new designs with an American who did very well up there but anyway...staring to ramble...I am sure they work and I look forward to trying one out one day.... 8) but they are still unattractive things IMO...

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:29 pm

physics study in my background tells me that channels should work - some surfers swear by 'em, others say they're a load of bollocks. Wadyu think?
shari

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:36 pm

they have a place in design for sure...they perform well in good clean down the line hollow waves but arent great when the waves are average or crappy IMO...but driving hard off the bottom on a deep 6 channell sure feels good...I think you can achieve the same and more with good concaves.... 8) gee, this thread has been up and down, now we have taken it right off track.... 8)

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:49 pm

oops, yer right, we have gone off topic - will post here once I've had a go on a meyerhoffer, bearing in mind that I am a shortboarder

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:11 pm

You're too young for a mal Shari, you will have to try one in ten years or so.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:01 pm

Had my dirty paws on one recently but haven't ridden one... missed that opportunity. Perhaps another day.

Find it difficult to see the real relevance as they are seemingly not the be-all-to-end-all longboard, nor are GSI and the designer claiming it is...so if you want a longboard that turns like a shortboard, buy a shortboard, no? OK, I know that is a stretch.

No problems with GSI and what they have created, and don't think too many mainstream shapers should feel threatened with their product and audience.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:53 pm

^^ Pretty right there Ric. There will aways be a big share of the market for shapers and customs.
One plus for these mass produced boards is that they can put demo's out for people to try out.
I've had a few Takayama surftechs and really liked the rockers and shapes but found them to be too light but it gave me a good idea of what I want . I'd like a glass one but they cost heaps and would have to save or get a good shaper to do something similar.
As for the Meyerhoffer I'd have a ride if I had a chance to. I would imagine it would be a bit like a bottle that Frank Latta used to make but uglier.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:42 pm

I myself can scarcely wait for the arrival of the Meyerhoffer Stand Up Paddle Board.

That cutaway bit seems ideally suited for the paddle.

And together, the concepts seem ... oh I dunno ... a match made in heaven really.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:18 pm

Nick,

I've got a horrible feeling you're right regarding the Magnum SUP. Hope you don't end up kicking yourself by letting the cat out of the bag on this forum. Sheer genius!!

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:03 am

A match made by marketing bots you mean.

The sidecut design has been around for ages and is only being seen as revolutionary now because of the propaganda surrounding it. . . actually it's a f*cked up idea and always was.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:51 am

roy Stewart wrote:A match made by marketing bots you mean.

The sidecut design has been around for ages and is only being seen as revolutionary now because of the propaganda surrounding it. . . actually it's a f*cked up idea and always was.

I see Baba Roy's having an Ayn Rand moment.