Miller Powerglide

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Miller Powerglide

Post by JET01 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Got my new Miller Powerglide (7'0 x 22 1/8 x 2 7/8) the other day and got a few waves at Point Leo.

I can't help but want to tell the whole whole everytime i get a new board, whether it's new, or just new to me. This one's both.

I've got a few months down here on the Mornington Peninsula and hoping for the Western Port reefs to fire a few times while i'm down here.

Anyone else out the got any new boards lately?

I'll post some pics soon.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Miller Powerglide

Post by Grooter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:29 am

Nice work!

Westernport should be pretty good over the next couple of days, Flinders should be pretty good over the weekend as well.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:55 am

I've got a powerglide as well. Had it for nearly 2 years and I ended up getting rid of my hp mal and have got a heavy log for the small days. The Miller is the best mid length I've ever had with out a doubt . I've got a board ready to be picked up from Grant now.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:50 am

Scored overhead waves in Westernport yesterday, in between honeysuckle and Pt Leo surfclub.

I surfed for 3 hours! Can't believe how crowded it got.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:13 pm

^^^

Second Reef is a bloody good right hander on a big swell. Actually anywhere at Point Leo can be magic in those conditions. Apparently you can catch a wave right out at Suicides and ride it right through to Crunchie Point although I've never managed this feat myself.

Problem is everyone in Melbourne knows how good Leo is on the big days so everyone goes there when the swell is too big to surf anywhere else - unless you've got the fitness of an iron man to take on Gunnamatta or Flinders when they get over 8 foot and I sure as hell don't :?
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:51 pm

^^^

If you mean on the other side of West Head from Meanos or the Gunnery then I'm afraid I don't know mate as I've never surfed there. I probably should make the effort one day to check it out.

Flinders is really fickle with the wind, pretty much anything onshore is going to wreck it unless it is light enough although a SW is not as bad as a SE at Big Left. A light WNW is perfect and if you get it on a decent swell at mid tide you can get some good long rides. Depends on the time of year though, I've found Flinders to turn it on more often during spring and late winter but then again I've had some great surfs there at other times of the year as well.

As for PI I've never surfed there :oops: although Ringa and some other guys here have...

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:04 pm

JET01 wrote:Scored overhead waves in Westernport yesterday, in between honeysuckle and Pt Leo surfclub.

I surfed for 3 hours! Can't believe how crowded it got.
How did the Powerglide handle bigger waves. I have a 7'00" and have had it out in good 3ft at Kirra and it went like a treat. They are a really fun board 8)
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:28 pm

JET01 wrote:
I'll post some pics soon.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

would love see it

new boards.=... froth fodder :!: 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:56 pm

I'll get the pics sorted out in the next couple of days. Went home for the weekend and left my camera at home.
The Powerglide went really well on the days i surfed in Westernport bay. They were pretty gutless and not very steep, so digging the nose wasn't an issue. I was surprised how well in duckdived considering the size of the nose.

I've pretty much got the full quiver for my skillset at the moment

9'0 Modern SLX longboard (set up as a quad fin)
7'0 Miller Powerglide
6'8 x 21 x 2 3/4 Miller Waterskate
6'7 x 20 x 2 3/4 PCC Custom Thruster
6'2 x 21 1/4 x 2 9/16 Miller F-skate

Haven't surfed the fish yet, picked it up second hand the night before i posted out to melbourne... never surfed something so short... going to be a challenge.

JET01
barnacle

Re: Miller Powerglide Pics!!!

Post by JET01 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:57 pm

Took my powerglide home to sydney for the Victorian long weekend...
Got to Gunnamatta this arvo just as the onshore started to creep in... Great i thought... how could this day get any worse...
Put my wetty on and took my board out of the case to find the tail smashed to bits, and right side of the nose all smashed up...

I don't like to point fingers so the airline in questions shall remain nameless...

Spewing just doesn't describe the feeling.

Would've been my 3rd surf on my new board. The nose had a been damaged. Took it into a local well-known shaper down here that reckons i'll need a new one... i think he's right... after they bog it up and put the glass back on, it would be like surfing with a stubby stuck to the nose (my comments not his)

Gotta go through the claims process to see if i can get a new board...
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
To this... after only 2 surfs...
11032009184.jpg
11032009185.jpg
11032009188.jpg

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:17 pm

The tails fixable, but there's no way i'm going quietly with regards to the damage done to the nose.
I must admit though, the photos i posted aren't the best.
The nose is such an integral part of this board and there's no way i'm going to put up with a "fixed" board seeing it's only 2 surfs old. Especially when I'd paid the money to put it in a 10mm bag.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:52 am

FAAAARK :shock: :shock: :shock:

All the way down to the second car-park at Gunnamatta before you noticed as well. Not good, not good at all.

I flew qantas to sydney and the board made it okay but I bubble wrapped it and even put a towel around it. I paid the extra $$$ for insurance as well just to be safe. Now you've got me stressing for the flight home!

Did you talk to the Triggers at the Pt Leo store? They did a really good tail repair job on mine....

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:56 pm

Looks like you've got that ironing board on standby. 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:32 pm

yeah, no good at all. I always wrap them in bubble wrap then in the board bag...whats the black circle on the bottom ??? :?:

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:30 pm

I got Grant to fill the nose concave in with black as it's one of the major design features in the board and i thought i'd like to highlight it.

If you're not sure what i'm talking about, have a look at his website: waterskatesurfboards.com

I know how silly it sounds referring one shaper to another's website, but what he says about the powerglide is true. I had a ball on it and can't wait to get this airline situation sorted out.

On a super stoked note though...

I've been pretty down since finding my board all smashed up... so i threw (carefully placed) my 6'8 Waterskate in the boot and headed back to Gunnamatta this arvo...

Got in at 5:10pm and didn't get out till 8:10... need i say more.

2-3ft preakty right handers that started off slowish, then into a section where you had to get in a few quick pumps, then into a fast end section where you could pull into the old close-out or do a nice carve or floater.
The vibe was awesome and everyone seemed to be having a sick time. Saw a few longboarders pull-off some noserides so I was missing the powerglide a bit. But the light offshore winds quickly blew those thoughts away, and later, the sunset over the water drew a close to one of the best surfs i've had for around 12months.
I called every surfer i knew to tell them about it, hooting like an absolute lunatic in the car on the way home.

All I've got to say is this ladies and gentleman:

Life tastes better with salt....