Board buying advice needed

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

schooner_of_old

Board buying advice needed

Post by schooner_of_old » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Hoping to get a tip from you wise ones about getting a mid-size longboard for the missus. She is getting along ok on an old 8'4 of mine but is due for an upgrade for something more modern -and of course has her eye on a shiny Mctavish eightball. This, she feels will be compact enough to fit under the arm for the short stroll to the beach but will be long enough allow her to get into a few waves on the crowded northern beaches.

I have always been a bit reluctant about the mctavs, having seen the bus from the retirement village roll up at freshy and unload a score of grey/balding michelin men who proceed to terrify the shortboarders with their usually out of control, brightly hued, big M emblazoned planks.

As I have to go pay for the new one, I will have to come up with a persuasive case if an option other than the mctav is picked. Any ideas? Any comments from ladies who ride something in the 8 foot range that can turn will be especially appreciated.

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: Board buying advice needed

Post by WANDERER » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Saw a nice second hand tolhurst quad finned 8'4" down at dripping wet yesterday.
Otherwise, speak to Pridmore about gettin something made specifically with a she-surfer in mind, lots of these type boards are made with blokes in mind, which is fair enough, but most ladies could easily go slimmer and thinner with their boards, depending of course on their own build, generally though, narrower shoulders, shorter arms, less weight, would be beneficial to get something customised.

McT's are alright, but as you know they come with a premium price.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:17 pm

WANDERER wrote:Saw a nice second hand tolhurst quad finned 8'4" down at dripping wet yesterday.
Otherwise, speak to Pridmore about gettin something made specifically with a she-surfer in mind, lots of these type boards are made with blokes in mind, which is fair enough, but most ladies could easily go slimmer and thinner with their boards, depending of course on their own build, generally though, narrower shoulders, shorter arms, less weight, would be beneficial to get something customised.

McT's are alright, but as you know they come with a premium price.
PM pridmore: http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/ucp.php ... ose&u=6382

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:47 pm

The Miller powerglide gets a pretty good rap - not sure how suitable they are for the fairer sex but they are custom made. He's at Mona or somewhere on the NBs. I'm pretty sure the McTavish range has a ladies model or two (or once did, perhaps before GSI).
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

JET01
barnacle

Get a powerglide.

Post by JET01 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:40 pm

I too recommend the Miller Powerglide.
They come standard at 7'0, but i've heard of him doing up to 8'0. Give him a call, he'll point you in the right direction, great man to deal with from start to finish.
I picked one up from Grant Miller the other week. It sat in my room for 10days while it cured and i finally got my first wave on it the other day at Point Leo.
Does everything he said it would, although it's going to get some getting used to because i've been riding a Waterskate for so long.
I can't believe how good it is once you get on the nose.
Looking forward to the next few days in Western Port.... it's looking like it's going to be good.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Do any of you have any experience with Southpoint boards? I see Bonga can ride them but can anyone else give an opinion.

The 8 8 looks ok. Wish I knew someone who rides them.

Regards.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:33 pm

Re: south points.

In my view they seem to be reasonable boards at the lowish end of the epoxy price range. Not my cup of tea and I've never owned one but good for some I'm sure. Ditto for Bic which although they look like a windsurfers idea of a surfboard, actually ride quite well. You're not getting the highest levels of craftmanship here though, more a whitegoods approach to a surfboard. But perhaps thats what you & your wife are after. I can appreciate that high-end stuff is not for everyone. I had an 8'0" made for my wife by Rex Marechal ( who makes pretty sweet longboards although its not his speciality. Grew up 'round San Diego y'see.....) which is a nice triple-stringer single fin with a very straightforward shape. Lovely board and there's probably a dozen people on the Northern Beaches alone who could make something similar.

As for Bonga - he'd ride an ironing board if someone paid him enough. The guy has more style in one toe than most of us manage our whole surfing life. Its a nice endorsement but I think you'd find he's on something else when the North Shore or Makaha is pumping. Then again, the same goes for 90% of pro surfers..........

Hope I've helped a little.

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:26 pm

Hit the nail on the head ......... Thanks for the tip .