Who rides a 9'er in beachies everyday, and what make, size ?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Who rides a 9'er in beachies everyday, and what make, size ?

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:31 am

So, who out there rides a 9'er in everyday beachies??. Im thinking of getting one, but i want to be able to use it everyday beachies, sometimes fat, sometimes hollow, and usually in between. From knee high to 1/2OH, but mostly knee to head high. So while i save up the cash ( gunna be a while for a longboard haha )i want to know.

What size is it, and is it epoxy, or PU?.

Im 85kg's by the way.

Dingus
Owl status

Re: Who rides a 9'er in beachies everyday, and what make, size ?

Post by Dingus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:23 am

I have one sitting in France that I used everyday in the beachies there. Specs are 9'0" x 2 3/4 x 21 7/8, and I put pictures of it here:

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... =9&t=13876

While I never took it out in over head high stuff, simply because I'm one of those surfers that doesn't surf past about that, I chased everything in that range. She'd lock into anything, even fast breaking hollow shorebreaks. The only time I had trouble was on a 4-5ft day on a real quick almost hollow take off, as it wouldn't hold the fin as I tried to dig into a squarish bottom turn, but I didn't have the side fins in so not sure how much that could have helped me.

I highly recommend one. I went for one shaped for a comp and never used, so I picked it up a few hundred euro cheaper than a normal brand newie.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

Crim

Post by Crim » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:18 pm

I use one all the time, from 1' to double overhead. Goes like a rocket. 9'1" x 2 7/8ths x 21 3/4. Single concave through to flatter tail. Rounded pulled back pin with thruster set up and 7" centre fin. Board is a Phil Myers design from Ballina.
My home break is a very sucky beachie and the rail holds in really well. I can get good speed very quickly out of it on the take off as well.
I changed up to the mals 5 or 6 years ago and would not think about going back to the shorties.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Good mate of mine rides one down here. Think it's a 9'2"

It goes pretty well but anything sucky that's over head high can be a problem due to the board angling near on a vertical before taking off.

At the reef breaks down here it goes like a dream, especially at Flinders. Had a go of it once and it was really good, so much so that I would get a Powerglide of similar size if I had the money.

Once thing I did notice on it is that it has a large crease on the underside from rail to rail. He's not sure how it happened but i suspect it was in bigger stuff and it may not be strengthened enough to deal with it.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Crim

Post by Crim » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Must admit I have snapped one in a sraight late take off and creased another in a heavy shorie. They have so much area compared to a short board so if you go hard these things will happen, but the ones you make certainly make up for it.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:59 pm

I ride my mal in just about anything. 9'3'', a little over 3'' thick - dunno about the rest offhand :oops: . I couldn't get as technical as many others here but I think it's largely a mattter of familiarity: no matter what you get if you ride it often enough in a variety of conditions you'll find a way to make it work for you. I'm assuming you're after versatility over traditional glide, so any modern, relatively lightweight longboard with multiple concaves, hard rails, etc, and a 2 + 1 set-up should be fine i reckon
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:40 pm

I ride my 9'2" Tolhurst pretty regularly. It's the only mal in the RS barbie pic. I have been nailed of late on sucky low tides so have been getting the powerglide out then.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:42 pm

Hey Mark, I have an 8'6 half shaped and customer now cant afford, if keen shoot me an e-mail for dims and specs so far....also have an 8fter want to offload super cheap.... 8)

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Wasn't Dae moving to Brissy and looking for a cheap board. Should pm him
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:33 pm

Good to see so many replies fella's. So, it can be done!!
I like float n paddle, so 3'' thick'd be great, but thinned out at the rails, not too thin though. I ride my mate's 8'6'' now and then and it's a blast.

Thanks, and keep it coming guys.

email comin mark

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:37 pm

I should mention im not going to be doing full on traditional stuff, or full on radical stuff. Just cruisin, trimming from the front, cheater 5's, but then standing back on the tail in hollower/faster stuff. Nothing flash, but i dont want it too flat in the nose, as i dont want to dig the nose on hollow stuff.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:16 pm

I went right off my mal for about the last year. Just riding 7'11" for general surf. Anyway I was nearly not going to pack it for a rare post xmas trip north but apart from one fun surf at Sawtell I ended up riding it every day and now I'm right back into it.

Only trouble is I have to really think about not putting all my weight on the tail for take offs when I use another board.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:05 pm

There's a guy who you see down at Bronte who rides a single fin log - but have only seen him out when it's a heavy swell. Goes great on the bigger waves. Kid you not - have not ever noticed him out in average surf - only when it is cranking (when only a couple of people will go). Mal riders usually pop up quicker - but it is rdiciulous how early he pops up - and still makes the drop. Have seen him out in some substantial winter swells - where the waves are breaking across the whole length of the albeit small beach - in only boardies. :shock: Real old school I reckon. Always amazed at when the swell is that big that it is a bloke on a mal who is charging.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:48 pm

I have a 9'3 custom shaped by Lincoln Pascoe ( central coast - doesn't do many longboards) which I can ride in ALL sizes if the urge takes me. It has modern rails and a rounded pin tail with fin boxes to allow either bonzer or single configurations. I usually ride it single with a high-aspect Greenough fin from Fluid Foils. It has a pulled-in nose outline and moderate rocker which means that the board is very versatile and doesn't flap or skitter on bigger waves. If I had to live the rest of my life with one board, this would be on the shortlist. Very versatile and effortless to ride in anything from peelers to smokin' 8'. I've had many longboards and this one is the best. Its been snapped once but I won't replace it for many years. Its one of those boards that you just ride and can focus on the waves, not on handling the board.

I don't think you'll regret it if you buy something quite versatile. Keep the nose area minimal and the rocker fairly modern. Rails too. You don't need three fins if the board is well designed.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:25 pm

the kalakau kid wrote:You don't need three fins if the board is well designed.
I'm starting to think that way. I've been experimenting a little with the centre fin placement lately, plus riding as single or 2 + 1. I adjusted the centre fin, took out the side fins and had the best surf on it in ages a few weeks ago. Maybe single just suits the way I surf, not sure, but prior to this I felt that if a modern mal had side fin boxes then it was more than likely intended to be ridden as a tri-fin (I think Longygrom pointed this out in these forums many moons ago). Whatever floats your boat I guess ...
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Spoon wrote:Wasn't Dae moving to Brissy and looking for a cheap board. Should pm him
Thanks mate. I dunno though, I need a new board but will have a slight logistics problem with having just the motorbike now and not close to the water. If I found a way to strap a board on the bike and safely get it from Brissie to the Gold Coast (and still be able to turn properly), I would be better off with the shortest I can manage. So maybe a fish is on the cards for me. Thinking about leaving my stuff somewhere while I'm in the water is a bit of a worry though.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Dae, I reckon you need to leave your board at a mates house or somewhere so you can ride the bike and grab it whenever you wanna go for surf...but if you are keen for a board that is able to be transported on your bike as well as be a good functional board for Goldy and Sunny Coast waves ( guess thats where you'll be surfing the most, maybe Straddie too, pumps over there and probably closer too ...) I would be stoked to design you something up, I love a challenge....cheers.. 8)

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:37 pm

:lol: An elbow in the ribs.

I will most definately keep you in mind. It'll be at least another month before I relocate I'm guessing, so I'll be putting feelers back out when I have some definates, including how much cash I may be able to spend. I would prefer a board from someone like you or RV than another pop-out.
\none left on the forum.