Singles and twinnies ???

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

do modern singles and twins out perform old skool ones

definitely
54%
some old ones go well but most were dogs
15%
they are all dogs, I could never ride anything but a thruster coz I am a narrow minded tosser
15%
the old skool ones are the best coz they were shaped by guys who rode em and they have soul from back in tha day
15%

Total votes: 13

pridmore
Owl status

Singles and twinnies ???

Post by pridmore » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:29 am

In the forums I read theres quite a few guys who are riding singles and twinnies, great stuff but just wondering if they are old ones or modern shapes ? who made em ? coz most of the old style singles I have ridden are bloody tanks and have been shaping a couple singles recently and going to do a few twinnies too , keen to see whats workin for you guys...

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:53 am

For those who've been brought up riding thrusters, singles and twins which are old school shapes will inevitably feel limiting in their performance range.
They go from riding a board which works in all parts of a wave to designs that like to inhabit different parts of it.
Hence the common criticism of old school fish not wanting to go vertical or singles lacking drive off the top.
So sooner or later the novelty wears off.
The thruster design is great but for me I prefer a bit of a challenge. Quiver has mostly 2+1's nowadays.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Just ordered an 8 foot single through Geoff McCoy.

Should be ready in 4 weeks.... :D

phil osofer
regular

Post by phil osofer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:16 am

I'm curious to know what McCoy charges for a custom made board.
Bay Action surfshop had them for $690 a few weeks ago, which was about $150 cheaper than usual.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 am

That's a great price - 950 for a custom 8', + extra for 100 spray and single fin.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:17 pm

We talking MR twinnie-style rather than fish? Big difference for this old kook anyway. Modern twins go verticle, surf backhand fine etc etc. Anyway I bloody love my MR Mega Twin. six two times 20 times 2 5/8th. Classic flyer swallow. Me: 45 tall skinny. Patented instant takeof speed and flies on smaller waves. Starts to get iffy for me anyway when overhead. For me the MR 78 fins were a revelation when they replaced MR TFX (TRX??) after a FCS twin fin blowout :evil:. The 78 fin a tiny bit bigger with more tip area, while the TFX (?) seems designed to work with the tiny trailer fin. I know some dislike em but I love modern refined twins. Might help I'm not a backfoot stomper.
Mate has a MR Supertwin, and very different board. Much narrower and more suited to very good waves. Same mate has a new (ish) replica of an original MR twin from 1977-78 which he loves. I prefer modern interpretation of a twin with widepoint about midway etc compared to three inch thick widepoint way forward 70s twins. Talked to MR a few times while ordering boards (he is the true gent everyone says) and he said they like a bit of thickness.
Singles? Got a no name backyard job from I think very late 70s, super thick, quite wide and six foot three, six channels. Awesome for small barrels.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:24 pm

who did the MR replica ? like to see pics if you have any....if you like the feel of twins, interested to hear your thoughts on the quads, most guys who like the twinnies seem to really enjoy the quads...the dims of your MR are very similar to my Fat-Bats......

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:10 pm

Hiya Mr P, Mate went to Pure, on advice of Ric V. They did a great job. Old style foil (really thick all the way to nose but very thin tail) and outline (they took a template from the original) very slightly modernised bottom. Rails more up to date too, as original had hard tucked edge from nose to tail. Pure even shaped the fluted flyer, though not as pronounced as original. And hand made coke bottle green coloured fins (love that colour in a fin). They seemed to really enjoy shaping it (maybe a change from another 6ft tri) and might have taken a pic. Will ask my mate if I can take a pic too. My mate has a Simon quad semi fish I'm waiting to borrow, as soon as he gives it it's first ding! Have been really interested in trying a quad so wish he'd hurry up and ding the thing!
Think Pure shaper is on real surf sometimes, maybe he can add comments, and correct any mistakes I've made. My mate reports Pure were a delight to deal with even though he gave em some difficult requests, and their love of the simple joys of making boards shone through!!!!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:14 pm

Yeah, Ric wouldnt send you there unless they did top work, I havent seen any of their boards but sounds like they enjoyed makin the MR replica, I know when I get an order like that or anything a bit different, I get excited and really enjoy the whole process....Ric has sent a few my way too...Look forward to any pics...Have sent you PM regarding testing out the AquaBat... 8)

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:58 pm

i'm gonna say old school singles go better new school :?
( so long there been cared for and not water logged)
but i still got my first board which was a single....so theirs a bit a bond there :wink:
u saw it mark...at the fat bat launch...how was the rails...bit similar ehhh :shock:
twinnys are shit...no time for em

can i just add....
glass jobs where better....blanks better quality...water warmer...surf perfect and un crowded....souths where winning :lol:

and girls where easier....back in the 70's..

wish i was a surfer than :idea:

i rest my case....more power the retro movement :lol:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:02 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:Just ordered an 8 foot single through Geoff McCoy.

can we get a report on delivery

geoffs designs don't work for me....they seem too back foot central :cry:

but i think his a awesome designer....and yeah...his nugget desisgn has been copy widly :shock:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:06 pm

The thing about the seventies is that hardly anyone could ride the boards like in the old surf movies or how people ride them now. Before legropes less people were prepared to chuck their boards around.

We know now which designs worked out of a pile of crazy experiments but it could be just as easy to end up with some complete abortion from some acid casualty. Side slippers were very popular for a while and I remember a 4'9" special with a 3" fin that some optomistic punter invested in. :roll:

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:52 am

I've never ridden a twinnie before, and would lean more towards a MR twinnie than a keel fish style board...I've been riding my 6'2 MSF2 single lately - such a fun board that loves a fast line. I'm not exactly sure how this would compare to the old boards, but I reckon it benefits from more modern bottom design and rails.

I actually love the look at the MR 1979 retro single fin, as well as the Joel Tudor "good karma" (although I've only seen those in epoxy but I figure it might be good to take travelling..).

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:33 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
Morgan The Moon wrote:Just ordered an 8 foot single through Geoff McCoy.

can we get a report on delivery

geoffs designs don't work for me....they seem too back foot central :cry:

but i think his a awesome designer....and yeah...his nugget desisgn has been copy widly :shock:
Had a go on the weekend, occasional chest high sucky beachie on Saturday night, and very occasional fat head high wave on Sunday.

I like it.... a lot :D

Really pivoty, definitely driven with a heavy back foot. Loves a sucky section.

Not sure what's going on with the gullwing, looks like nothing else, but it works unreal.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:37 pm

any pics ? whats the gullwing all about ???

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:44 pm

I'll get some pics up soon-ish...

But here's a link to the gullwing on sways....

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.c ... t=20673373

Wingnut
regular

Re: Singles and twinnies ???

Post by Wingnut » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:53 pm

I ordered a single fin a couple of weeks ago from my local, dimensions are 6'7" x 20" x 2 & 3/4". It will look a bit like this.
lotus.jpg
lotus.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 6313 times

moreorless
regular

Re: Singles and twinnies ???

Post by moreorless » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:41 am

Mark Rabbidge makes great modern singles.

I got one from him several years ago - 6'4" x 19" x 2.5" - and it goes just great, especially in down-the-line point style waves. It's also great fun when it gets small.

The board is far more advanced and fine-tuned than the singles I used to ride in the 1970s and performs far better. I can't remember there being much discussion of rocker back then, rails were pretty basic and volume was usually excessive.

The benefit of getting a single from someone like Mark is that he was making and surfing them back then, has seen how shapes have evolved and is able to combine the best of the old and the new.