Gone Fishing ???

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Gone Fishing ???

Post by pridmore » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:55 am

Is the traditional fish gone ? Was it just a passing trend or is it still a design that will be around forever ???

bondi
regular

Re

Post by bondi » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:26 pm

Alive and thriving my friend....

Nothing compares to something so pure and undamaged!

Last edited by bondi on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:35 pm

good to see. I am just curious to hear peoples thoughts coz it seems that alot less people are riding them and I wondered if it was just around here. ...nice tint, got one very similar...

that 3rd pic doesnt look too alie and thriving, bit damaged too.... :roll:
Last edited by pridmore on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:26 pm

lookin to get a newby sooner or later...

I was gonna go a red tint with white pin lines... however, it looks as though the red tinted fish is a bit overdone LOL
I think I'll go with a bottle green tint or opaque.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:36 pm

WANDERER wrote:lookin to get a newby sooner or later...

I was gonna go a red tint with white pin lines... however, it looks as though the red tinted fish is a bit overdone LOL
I think I'll go with a bottle green tint or opaque.
one is in Angourie and the other in Bondi, go the red Wands, they do come up awesome polished IMO, my one's for the board bible in a few months.... maybe go your teams colours mate , whatever they are ???

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:13 pm

If you are talking true, short, twin keel split tail fishes you might be right. Certainly seem to be a lot of seconds at couple of local (dinkum) surfshops, and quite a lot of new stock fishes with big discounts on em. My 2 cents; under 6 ft fishes overtaken by really refined modern twins or quads, but a lot more "big fish" in lineups as older return to the surf types or "I started surfing at 40'' people come down off mals. Those Akila twins Rasta riding creating a bit of a buzz.
PS nice roasted/grilled yakkas bondi. Tetsuya recipe?

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:32 pm

i'll never ride one again. :x

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:50 pm

bombora wrote:If you are talking true, short, twin keel split tail fishes you might be right. Certainly seem to be a lot of seconds at couple of local (dinkum) surfshops, and quite a lot of new stock fishes with big discounts on em. My 2 cents; under 6 ft fishes overtaken by really refined modern twins or quads, but a lot more "big fish" in lineups as older return to the surf types or "I started surfing at 40'' people come down off mals. Those Akila twins Rasta riding creating a bit of a buzz.
PS nice roasted/grilled yakkas bondi. Tetsuya recipe?
I think Rasta can make any design popular, I reckon he is responsible ( in a good way ) for some of the recent fish trend coz he really can rip on them but I dont see to many other guys really rippin on them, there are a few but I do see alot of guys that cant surf them very well and would be better off on something easier to surf...Its great to see guys riding such a variety of boards and I am a fan of the fish but in the right waves and for the right surfer.... Its a good design but alot of crew are putting their modern edge to them and they are going better IMO. ...

bondi
regular

Re

Post by bondi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:37 am

Agreed, it definately takes a certain style of surfer to be able to surf them right.

Most people come off thrusters thinking 'im gonna blow up on one of these little twin things' then paddle out and look like they are fighting against the thing to get it working....thats the main reason you would find them back in the 2nd hand rack - cause the crew dont get in the right mind set to surf them properly - i.e down the line hoinking waves to get that real compress and extend out of them.

Its also a good thing that not many people are riding them i think, proves its a much more difficult board to master than the initial impression which is 'oh those boards are too wide i'll ride this thing so easy' and then fall off as soon as they lay it on rail or nose dive them.....

All types of boards for all types of conditions!

p-a
Grommet

Post by p-a » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:54 am

the fish is fading out just like the single fin did before it & hopfully the SUP is next.....

Beerfan

fish

Post by Beerfan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:01 pm

My twin keel is just too much fun not to ride. Im not a great surfer, i dont rip or shred, so it suits me fine coz i dont try to rip and shred on it. At 6'2'' x 22'' wide and 3'' thick, it paddles like a boat, and catches tiny waves. 2 big glassed on fibreglass keels feel fantastic when you really compress off the bottom and project up the face. I have way too much fun on mine. I have also surfed it a few times in good head high hollow waves, and while i go over the falls a bit more, if you stick the take off ( and you can ), you're in for a pretty sweet ride, and they hold in brilliantly. Mine has just over 5'' of nose rocker, so that helps in steep waves.

I dont care if they go out of fashion, or if they stay in fashion. Too much fun for me not to ride them.