get the plastic out.

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

lamesville
Grommet

Post by lamesville » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:38 pm

overpriced eh dinosaur? done a few costings lately on the manufacture of a tinted board lately?
you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. what a freakin rooster. get your sick prosand heapa from a mate down the road for $500 do ya? get real you smoker.
there is a market and it's being undercut by those muthaF$%^ers down at dripping wet. you can say what you want about economics, but when you see it first hand you have a way better understanding. they'll do ANYTHING for the sale. they need to be firebombed for some of the stuff i've heard them doing.
everyone is always an expert on the sale of premium surfboards aren't they?

surfanimals
Local

6oz

Post by surfanimals » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:41 pm

Thought you'd like to know, Six Ounce is re-opening in Bondi Junction. :wink:

No more late Friday afternoon's milching around the shop for the Bondi boys but for those of us who do appreciate the diverse quality of his boards, in some format it will remain.

One of the posts above mentioned Dripping Wet and 'firebombing' in the same paragraph - funny that, seeing as the Manly digs was to be made bigger but they couldn't get the lease on the shop next door and not to long after the other shop went up in flames - pure chance of course.

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:52 pm

Oh, this forum topic's getting good now ! :lol: :lol:

Love your work boys.

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:55 pm

dunnc wrote:I saw the site late last night before heading for a sleep...I, albeit only for a second, thought I should post a heads up on realsurf but quickly went into seige mentality and thought bugger that, everyman for themselves.

I now know why people get trampled at the boxing day sales !
Cookie Monster just wanted to say howdy to Bert. That's all. :lol:

lamesville
Grommet

Post by lamesville » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:46 pm

listen up dinosaur, you weak muthalicker. where i was when Ben was/is going down is still supplying him with his custom orders, not brushing him like some suppliers might have been hearing he was going down.
The boards you get from your mate may well look the part and go well for the measly $500 you mention, but have you seen a diahatsu next to a ferarri before? Can you see the difference? You clearly are blinded by your own kookiness. Do you even know what a premium surfboard looks like? I dare you to walk in to my factory and say some of the s^&t you have. I F^%&en dare you. You'd get a swift dose of styrene to the face.
I know this isn't the place for this type of talk, but this kook has really got my back up. Trying to tell me these boards aren't worth it, try making the bloody things day in and day out as good as we do them. You wouldn't have a chance in hell.
Kook.

lamesville
Grommet

Post by lamesville » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:46 pm

you wouldn't get within 5 feet of the front door kook.

nice comeback.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Two very well reasoned sides to the premium debate. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:37 am

surfanimals wrote: Cookie Monster just wanted to say howdy to Bert. That's all. :lol:
Are you telling me to...? :?

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:43 am

dunnc wrote:
surfanimals wrote: Cookie Monster just wanted to say howdy to Bert. That's all. :lol:
Are you telling me to...? :?
No, enough angry ants on this topic already. Cookie Monster just wanted to acknowledge his old mate Bert, that's all. :lol:

:wink: :D

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:57 am

its good to be passionate and great to speak your mind and have opinions but this is gettin out of hand guys...go and have a surf and give your missus a good one, then chill out....I am outta here

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:13 am

salty wrote:I agree, Dripping Wet sucks and the owner/bloke who manages the joint is a complete and total fuckwit who I have no respect for what so ever... he's a bloody con!

Conversly, you have Benny who is the most genuine, down-to-earth, bloke. He takes the time for a chat whether you're a customer or not. Kudos to Ben, he remembered my name from the first day I met him, which blows me away. It's just great to walk in to a store and be greeted by name... something you'll never get from Dripping wet unless you're sponsored or have spent heaps of money there.
Just to balance the books... I met John (your said fuckwit) and one of the owners some 20 years ago I guess when he worked at DW prior to him splitting with the then owner, I think he had an interest then but lost that :roll: another story.

He tipped me into a board and I look upon the (board) experience as being a very good one for me.

Then he worked for the Surfection chain until deemed too old (least that was what I was told) then it was ultimately back to DW as an owner and partner.

Bought a grand total of 2 boards in that 20 odd years so hardly a good customer, every time I walk into the place, prior to his departure to the set-up of Bondi, it was still always a warm welcome, still is down at Manly. Damn, I must be doing something wrong. :? Far from a pro or anything else as you know, Salty. Get what you give.
surfanimals wrote:One of the posts above mentioned Dripping Wet and 'firebombing' in the same paragraph - funny that, seeing as the Manly digs was to be made bigger but they couldn't get the lease on the shop next door and not to long after the other shop went up in flames - pure chance of course.
Two things SA, and it is a bit out of character for you to make such comments.

1. They bought next door (BIG loan, has to be serviced)

2. The ‘fire’ cost them. Little thing about value of stock versus insurance pay out.
lamesville wrote:The boards you get from your mate may well look the part and go well for the measly $500 you mention, but have you seen a diahatsu next to a ferarri before? Can you see the difference?
You might be underestimating dinosaur’s friend (God knows how he has any :twisted:) he is a respected shaper.

Don’t think your problem is so much other local shapers LVille, it’s what’s coming from overseas, OK probably local ‘production’ boards too but it might be yourself as well. If you want to make Ferraris for Holden budgets then surely you are going to make it hard for yourself unless you are some flavour of the month name or generation?

I think you might be kidding yourself if you think anyone gives a tinkers how hard it is to make a tint with gloss polish. I mean I can appreciate it, but I perceive it as being something that was done when I was a kid = histrory. I’d rather have a board that works for me than a piece that ‘looks’ good. ‘Oh look at the shine’, let’s hang it on a wall. :x

Maybe Ben will maintain his following and if so that is a good thing, but I wouldn’t be pointing the finger at anyone else if it doesn’t succeed.

Very complicated industry with lots of gloss polished product out of the likes of GSI. I know what happens locally with production boards, the sins that are committed.

I think your problem with Dripping Wet is more of a reflection on the market as a whole. No point putting them on the fire LV, they would be replaced in a flash.

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:05 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
surfanimals wrote:One of the posts above mentioned Dripping Wet and 'firebombing' in the same paragraph - funny that, seeing as the Manly digs was to be made bigger but they couldn't get the lease on the shop next door and not to long after the other shop went up in flames - pure chance of course.
Two things SA, and it is a bit out of character for you to make such comments.

1. They bought next door (BIG loan, has to be serviced)

2. The ‘fire’ cost them. Little thing about value of stock versus insurance pay out.
For the record, I've known Andy at Manly DW since his early McCoy sponsored days in the mid 90's and John for I guess around the same (now DW Bondi).

They are making a buck and I reckon good on 'em. Whatever floats your boat and I've bought from them in the past and was only talking to John last week.

My comment was a reflection of what I was told and that's all. I certainly am not stating a fact and it could have just been as I said 'pure chance'....my wording may have sounded 'assumed' and for that I apologise. :wink:

Now, back to the argument between the others if you don't mind.

:lol:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:52 pm

salty wrote:Ric, sure the guy will great you with a warm smile and a slap on the back, but heck, so will a friggen used car salesman or a damn polly!!
I can see that Salty, but I think it’s literally him... run into him at the surf and it’s the same froth and bubble enthusing about something.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:55 pm

surfanimals wrote:Now, back to the argument between the others if you don't mind.
Fair enough SA, but mud sticks and it didn’t hit me as your ‘normal’ approach. Let’s base on what we know rather than here-say, it could get ugly for the industry. :wink:

lamesville
Grommet

Post by lamesville » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:57 pm

dinosaur wrote:c'mon lamesville,

Don't make me call ya out to Mona vale retravision.
^ this guy has no penis.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:21 pm

lamesville wrote:
dinosaur wrote:c'mon lamesville,

Don't make me call ya out to Mona vale retravision.
^ this guy has no penis.
Nah, apparently he’s hung like a dinosaur and rock hard :lol: man I’m killin’ meself again :D :oops:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:21 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
I mean I can appreciate it, but I perceive it as being something that was done when I was a kid = histrory. .
How about Engrish? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To tell you the truth Ric, I've been surprised by how many people in other surf shops have paid him out( and I don't mean Ben). Business is business I guess and the surfboard industry thrives on competition and backstabbing apparently.

My opinion of John matters bugger all and to his credit he has gotten involved in the local mal club and generally has a good vibe in the water. Since I work on the North Side at the moment I kinda feel a bit sorry for him but business is business. Its his call. At least DW is a real surfshop.

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:57 pm

I love how this forum has degenerated into a slanging match.

Its like Moores law of Forums that the shortest point between an innocuous vaguely positive thread and a full blown flaming is about 3 posts.

Anyway.....

I personally think the demise of 6oz is more about the state of the economy and general belt tightening than about DW in Bondi.

Ben doesn't just sell fat retro (rose) tinted nostalgia machines. I have bought my last 5 boards through him which have included 2X6'2" shorties a 6'3" rounded pin step up for Indo and an amazing 6'7" semi gun. Yes Ben sells mainly retro shapes but he does sell more conventional craft and I buy them from him because he's a good guy, rewards loyalty and never goes the hard sell and basically I would rather give my hard earned to him.

Anyway back to the scrap :roll: