First custom stoke part 2!, 6'10'' egg

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

egg

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:27 am

MKM, don't worry im still a backyard hack. I just sold a couple of boards and wanted something made by someone who knows what they're doing, that's all. I just need to shape the other side of the rail of the disc, smooth it out, then it'll be ready to glass. THe nugget shape i think will sit for a while. Its made from a blank i stuffed up, so the rocker is all wrong, really flat, so i'll wait til i finish the disc before getting into that.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:57 am

pridmore wrote:due to the board being designed to be super fast and for driving off the bottom and for predominantly smallish waves, than thats what I came up with, might be a bit more curve than pics show I think ???
Yes, as I said in my edit before you posted, went back had another look at the pic with a different eye. Still will be interested in BeerF’s comments.

Kind of a reason for the comment... did a 7'9" for a guy that was meant to be his small wave board of choice... all planned out, but when it came to the rocker I could do what was anticipated with the blank purloined. And I mean not even close, ended up a good 1" off (more) what was intended for the tail and the nose was flatter by a similar degree.

Well, me being me tends to think everything happens for a reason, just go with it with the same promise to said victim... ‘if ya don’t like, bring it back and we’ll do another’. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back, yeah, yeah! :D

Turned out to be a gem, rode it myself a few times when the guy was away and an absolute surprise package. Pick up every wave sitting further out the back, fast and loose... everything we like in a women. :twisted:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:44 am

WANDERER wrote:I'm envisaging a 7(ish) inch cutaway with some mini keel type fins for side bites... but they'd have to be custom made, I don't think theres anything like what I'm imagining currently on the market.
Twat’s wrong with this one, Blwondes? > 7" (in water)

Aha, you are talking custom mini keels, thought you were talking the cutaway... think you are right too, although there are probably some bonzer type fins available from the US but they are probably the extreme angles.

Mark (Beerfan Mark, not Priddy Mark) you could make some fins out of ply and some of your glass off cuts.

:idea: or see your lo-cal plumber for some PVC pipe :D

Beerfan

egg

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:50 am

Ric, i'll probably make some small side bites. Im interested in trying a widowmaker setup at some stage, so some shark tooth style fins are on top of the home made fins list. Like the ones in glass love on neal purchase jr;s. To me they look a bit like a sharks tooth. Anyway, fcs tabbed fins are so much easier than centre fin box fins, i just the other day spent an hour or so sanding one with 180, then 360 and got it nice and smooth, then i cracked the tab with a bit too much "torque'' with a screwy, D'OH!!!!!. It still looks like it will stay in the box, so i'll try it anyway.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: egg

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:37 am

Beerfan wrote:i just the other day spent an hour or so sanding one with...
Ha, that’s nothing’, talk to Oldman and Rockin’ Ronaldo about people sanding fins...

The story... did a little sojourn down the coast with above cohorts and only took the board in the photo, the insulation foam fish :wink: well then, as you might just notice in the photo the ‘other’ fin is different. It WAS a temporary ply and glass number hastily thrown together as I was too cheap to go and grab another from Bennett/Dion :x

I had noticed the fin was looking a little tired and delaminating a bit at the base so on the morning of our departure I grabbed the work-in-progress replacement fin. Cell foam core, epoxy, but not drilled for the screw and pin. I hastily did the holes when RR arrived but hadn’t tried it for fit... you can see where this is going.

First surf at a certain ISLAND for good surf for a couple of hours and return to the shore, flip the board over and damn if the fin hadn’t schnapped right off at the base. Must have been literally on the last wave or the last part of the belly in on the sand as I hadn’t felt it.

OK, no problem, smartarse here had the replacement right? Right, ’cept the mofo didn’t fit because I had put some more epoxy on to fix some areas. Lucky I had grabbed one piece of 120 sandpaper as well, but bugger me if it didn’t take bloody hours to work it down by hand... damn epoxy and we are talking relatively nothing.

Also cracked it slightly using the back of an axe (hey, it was all I could find) getting the pin home. :oops:

It’s still there... must finish the matching one some day. :D

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Egg

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:12 am

Hey Beery,
Typed out a long well thought out pm the other night and then promptly lost it in cyberspace.
Eggceptional looking egg. Are you eggcited? :D
Must be tinted, glassed and hard boiled by now? :?:

Beerfan

egg

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:17 am

Oh yeah, im eggceptionally eggxcited, that's eggxactly how im feeling at this eggxact point in time :lol:

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: egg

Post by WANDERER » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:34 pm

Beerfan wrote:No worries mark.

Guys, here's some pics

Just noticed something about that outline, thought it looked familiar!
This is my 7'2 Hybrid that I found on ebay near new for about $315 if I remember right, the most fun I've ever had on a 'shorter' board, just feels right, i heart a good round tail.

ImageImage
ImageImage

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:40 pm

got all the dims for that one ???? epic left, great shot...

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:41 pm

pridmore wrote:got all the dims for that one ????
me lookie

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:44 pm

can i just compliment u wands on u garden....lovly theme...well cared for

your partner must b proud :lol:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:51 pm

not my house... I mean - Thanks!!

7'2" 21 1/2 x 2 3/4, N 14 1/4, T 14 1/2

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:02 am

Looks a lot like my 7'6'' Jackson hybrid. Hardly ridden it lately, been thinking of trading it in for something a little 'fishier', but this thread reminds me how much fun it can be in the right conditions.

Hey Pridmore, has anyone ever told you you look a little like a young Bob McTavish? :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:40 am

RickyG wrote:Looks a lot like my 7'6'' Jackson hybrid. Hardly ridden it lately, been thinking of trading it in for something a little 'fishier', but this thread reminds me how much fun it can be in the right conditions.

Hey Pridmore, has anyone ever told you you look a little like a young Bob McTavish? :lol:
nah never, poor bugger , maybe I better check out how ugly he is these days so I can prepare my missus...

Beerfan

woo hoo

Post by Beerfan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:49 pm

[img][img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/ ... utline.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/ ... 0-logo.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/ ... 10-egg.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/ ... fins-3.jpg[/img][/img]

As you can imagine im frothin to ride it, i'lll let you know how it goes guys.

A big thanks to mark, im very happy mate!!!!!, i didn't wanna wax it up it looked too good!!

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:02 pm

Sick!!! So stoked for ya! Board looks sweet as 8)
I remember that "I just can't wax this" feeling so welll...

So when and where are yo going to have your first surf? Do you have to wait for it to cure?

Beerfan

board

Post by Beerfan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:07 am

Hey RBP, i took it for a paddle today. I say paddle coz the waves were so fat it wasn't funny, i needed an extra 3' on the end of the board. It paddles great, and im hanging to get a wave on it. I could've moved in a bit, but they were pretty much dumping onto the shallow sand. Too far out, cant get em, too far in, close out city. On my other boards i might've been tempted to sit in shore, and try the shorey, but not on my nice new polished egg!!.

I have to work heaps this week, but either wed, or next week, i'll get some waves ( PLEASE !!!!! )

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:24 am

looks tasty.