Custom Paint job.

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:24 pm

I really can't wipe that smile off my face.
It's been there since that photo was taken on saturday... my cheeks are starting to get a little sore.

I'm pretty stoked there's no waves at the moment... I thought it would be the other way around! Hopefully there's a wave around on Sunday arvo.
there'll be a good chance i'll be around the narrabeen/long reef area on sunday if anyone wants a sneaky peek.

I'm thinking i might crack on friday morning and give it a run before i head up to the hunter valley for a wine run....

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:25 pm

Marty sure is the master!!!!

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:04 am

SDC wrote: Priddy, also further to my email y'day, remember to put about 3 coats of clear satin acrylic over your posca pen artwork then sand with 1200 wet & dry once dry.

Artwork on boards is sick - let see some of the crews efforts?
Hey SDC,
When prepping your board for some Posca art, do you lightly sand the board first as well as after applying the satin acrylic? Is it OK to use acetone to clean the deck?

I'm thinking of painting my FCS M5's as a warm up before I start on my board. Any tips for Posca art on fins?

I used to mess around with a bit of graff in my delinquent days so it's good to know I can put some old Posca's to good use. I'll post up pics of my efforts when I'm done.

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:59 am

Brains,

Use something like Turps or Wax-off to remove remainder of wax, then Acetone to clean up. I would recommend a 400 or 600 wet and dry used wet to sand the surface, you could clean again with acetone, then you're right to start painting. Best to work in small area's to help blend paints so they don't dry out whilst your working. If blending colours use your dark colours first, say Red then orange and yellows.

Do your colours first then outline with your black or heavier colours. Once paints are dry, seal with Satin Clear Acrylic or Protech, then once dry give light sand with wet 1200 wet and dry.

Same with fibreglass fins.

I've just finished the bottom of a board, and I'll post a pic later.

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:01 pm

The bottom of a board I've just finished.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:49 pm

I have a mate who I used to work at a board factory with named Ash Divine, best board sprayer ever seen, dead set freakishly great at anything arty he did....Timmy (tiger ) will agree no doubt...

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:06 pm

Mark, I'm pretty sure I saw some of Ash's work at Black Widow Surfboards @ Kawana years ago when I used to live up that way. Is it the same dude. Be good to check out some of his work.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:14 pm

SDC wrote:Mark, I'm pretty sure I saw some of Ash's work at Black Widow Surfboards @ Kawana years ago when I used to live up that way. Is it the same dude. Be good to check out some of his work.
yeah, thats him...

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:20 pm

Siiiick!! His work was good back then, I can only image how good it is now.

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:35 pm

Mark's son recently did some Posca Art of his own - a budding artist no doubt! Check it out. Hey Mark, I like the Aussie Flag on the tail of your board.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:14 am

Hey SDC, thanks for the tips. Looks like your Australia's answer to Drew Brophy!
SDC wrote:Mark's son recently did some Posca Art of his own - a budding artist no doubt! Check it out. Hey Mark, I like the Aussie Flag on the tail of your board.

Mark, your son is seriously talented. Junior should be doing more designs on your boards and build himself a portfolio!

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:21 am

Here's some pics of a guy who's really pushing it with Poscas; Tyler "Pickles" Warren

More links here & here

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:52 am

Great stuff guys. That stuff you put up of Tyler Warrens is mad Felix!!

As Mark said Ash is an incredible talent, more so with brush in hand rather than airbrush. He could be killing it in the art industry, but just doesn't have the confidence in his work. Sad to see his talent go to waste, he seems to be happy earning a wage rendering houses!?!

As some of you may know, I'm lucky enough to be married to a talented artist. You can check out her work at i4art.com.au (sorry, don't know how to create a link :oops: ).

I'll see if I can dig up any cool board artwork that she or I did back in the day.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:29 am

rightbrainpositive wrote:Hey SDC, thanks for the tips. Looks like your Australia's answer to Drew Brophy!
SDC wrote:Mark's son recently did some Posca Art of his own - a budding artist no doubt! Check it out. Hey Mark, I like the Aussie Flag on the tail of your board.

Mark, your son is seriously talented. Junior should be doing more designs on your boards and build himself a portfolio!
yeah, I am trying to get some customers to let him do their sprays but I think when I say my 9 year old son, they think no way, too young and might not do a cool job, hopefully he will do some soon and he can get better and end up doing all my boards.....meantime he is doing all my own boards and a few of my mates and relatives'...

Hey Ian, that aussie flag decal is quite popular and if you ever want to send me a few MORe, it'd be appreciated.....still wanna do up a logo for my FatBats but havent had money to get the right artwork done for it....

wayne_g

Post by wayne_g » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:01 pm

your sons artwork looks great pridmore, have you got any more pics of some other work he's done?

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:24 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote:Hey SDC, thanks for the tips. Looks like your Australia's answer to Drew Brophy!
Ahh - Nah Mate, nowhere near Drew's level, you'll also want to check out some of Caspian's work, he's the one who's got it sussed. He does some work for Jon McLean down at Chaos, and also Powerlinez, and a host of others.

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Here's the link to some of Caspian's work - there's some bloody good stuff there.

http://www.chaossurfboards.com/index.ph ... spian.html

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 pm

wayne_g wrote:your sons artwork looks great pridmore, have you got any more pics of some other work he's done?
he's doing one right now, will post pics when finished..Its cool how a child will approach things, not yet corrupted by mainstream things and outside influences that much....should be good to see how he progresses and what he comes up with...we had a few waves together today and all he could do is talk about sprays and colours....