Custom Paint job.

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Custom Paint job.

Post by JET01 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:13 am

I'm getting a 6'8" Miller Waterskate shaped for me, and as it's my first custom board, I want to get a different paint job on it.

At this stage i'm thinking about having it all black with a white pinstrip alround, and navy blue Miller signs on the deck.

What do you reckon... does all black look good if it's not an epoxy board. ?

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Re: Custom Paint job.

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:40 am

JET01 wrote:I'm getting a 6'8" Miller Waterskate shaped for me, and as it's my first custom board, I want to get a different paint job on it.

At this stage i'm thinking about having it all black with a white pinstrip alround, and navy blue Miller signs on the deck.

What do you reckon... does all black look good if it's not an epoxy board. ?
all black gets VERY hot in the sun.
i know you will have considered this, but its way more dangerous for the board than you think.
I had a carbon fibre patch and left my board in the sun for 5 minutes while i got something to eat and all the wax was melted and it looked like the carbon had risen.

it just means you cant leave it in the car while you grab something after a surf and other things like that, you just have to be very careful.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:17 am

I have had several all black boards and they can look great...the way to go is to get the resin tinted black and not just sprayed on the foam, the colour is much more solid and if you get it polished it can come up awesome, like a black mirror...I would suggest an all black bottom and just the rails on the deck , that way heat and melting wax doesnt become an issue...maybe have white and then navy blue pinlines to seperate the rail colour from the white deck colour ??? then the navy logo's would match the pinlines ...if you do spray the foam black, trim logo's very close to artwork or the tissue paper will be visible on the dark colour background....I have pics if you wanna see them, contact me at my private e-mail, its on my profile.... board manufacturers often try to steer customers away from certain things on boards but I think its because its more work or more complicated for them to do, but if its the customers wish and he is paying for a custom board, then I feel every effort within reason should be made to do what they really want...happy customers come back..I think more surfers should personalize their boards with colours or artwork, its not very individual when 99% of guys have white boards and black wetties...supposed to be an expressive and creative sport/artform/pastime ?????

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:56 pm

nice....you follow the sharkies I guess ??? wheres the carbon ??? that spray is on the filler hey ???

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Custom paint

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Not sure if you're aware of it or not but Martin Worthington does sprays for Grant so don't be scared to throw him something of a challenge.
Martin is the airbrush talent behind Terry Fitzgerald's far out 70/80's boards.
Throw a bucket of paint or two...

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:38 pm

salty wrote:
pridmore wrote:nice....you follow the sharkies I guess ??? wheres the carbon ??? that spray is on the filler hey ???
Noooo, I'm a Roosties supporter. Just liked the blue. Carbon is around the finplugs and tail... my previous board was getting dangerously compressed around in that area.
thats why you were gunna do dark blue ? with the red for the tri-colours, I think it would have been cool, if thats what you were doing ....

What foam used on your previous board, ? its usually the quality of the blank when the compress that bad...

the channels are getting popular again lately, theres a bit of interest in them again....

JET01
barnacle

cheers

Post by JET01 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:50 pm

thanks for your input guys.

i've got a friend that's an airbrush artist... i might just get her to paint me a wave of something like that on the bottom and leave the deck white just to be in the safe side.

JET01
barnacle

complete opposite

Post by JET01 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:29 pm

I ended getting black rails and some black artwork... i'll try and post pics when i get it...

10 days to go!!!!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:47 pm

I just couldn't help posting pics of my Miller custom seeing this thread!

Make sure you post pics when it's done mate!

JET01
barnacle

Got my new board

Post by JET01 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:47 am

Here's some pics of my new board.

6'8'' x 21'' x 2 3/4''
FCS M7 fins

Can't surf it till saturday... it's going to be a long week.

It's been an absolute pleasure dealing with Grant Miller from start to finish. Can't speak highly enough of the man's professionalism.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:16 am

The smile of a man with his first, new custom. One of the best feelings on earth 8)

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:03 pm

salty wrote:My new baby. Six-channel, 603 x 18 3/4 x 2 5/16. EPS/epoxy/carbon.

That's a fine looking board there salty, both distinctive and classy. I like the shape and the swallowtail, similar to a couple of 6'6'' boards I have as all-rounders.

I think you surf in the same area I do so will say hello if I see that board out there.

Bitch of a tape-up job for that artwork.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:50 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote:The smile of a man with his first, new custom. One of the best feelings on earth 8)
also one of the best parts of shaping boards, my fav is catching up with a guy in the water when he is just stoked and he is genuinely appreciative for your creation.....it is much better than the small amount of dollars made...but we gotta pay the bills too......you should send that pic to Mr.Miller, he'll get a kick out of it.....

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Got my new board

Post by Grooter » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:26 pm

JET01 wrote:Here's some pics of my new board.

6'8'' x 21'' x 2 3/4''
FCS M7 fins

It's been an absolute pleasure dealing with Grant Miller from start to finish. Can't speak highly enough of the man's professionalism.
Nice board mate thanks for posting the pictures 8)

I hear you on the wait for it to fully cure - bloody killer.

I've got the M7's on mine as well and reckon they are pretty good (although I'm no expert).

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Hey Jet01, looks the goods and I like the tribal art that Marty has done - can you translate what it says?

Grant certainly does some nice sticks, and I thoroughly enjoy the F-Skate that I have.

Salty, love the shape of your new 6'3" Gunther, looks kinda fast, be good to hear back with some feedback on it, and talking about paint jobs, I've just finished putting the finishing touches on a 6'8" Gunther semi gun.

Priddy, also further to my email y'day, remember to put about 3 coats of clear satin acrylic over your posca pen artwork then sand with 1200 wet & dry once dry.

Artwork on boards is sick - let see some of the crews efforts?

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:55 pm

Thanks Salty, yeah I own surfdecals.com

I recently had this stick in the Mentawai's, and it went well, but could have done with a bit more volume throughout, moreso to help get into the drop a bit earlier, as a couple of waves got a bit hairy.

JET01
barnacle

translation

Post by JET01 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:10 pm

Mate i'm pretty happy with how the artwork turned out... I don't know if you noticed but the artwork is straight off the tattoo on my right arm. Something i designed when i was 19 and in training as a Naval Communicator. Good to see the governments money was spent wisely huh ;)
The symbol is Japanese means Spirit ("ki") and the rest of the tattoo gets a little deep so i won't go into too much detail.
I drew it up in Microsoft paint and emailed it to Grant. So he pretty much just had to cut and paste it.... great job though...

next time i'll get clear rails though... i'm not really a fan of the black under the glass.

southyboys
regular

Re: Got my new board

Post by southyboys » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:16 pm

JET01 wrote:Here's some pics of my new board.

6'8'' x 21'' x 2 3/4''
FCS M7 fins

Hahahaha i saw this board being finished at the clear/miller factory the other day how sick is marty at airbrush work.