Twinnies

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

WANDERER
Owl status

Twinnies

Post by WANDERER » Fri May 30, 2008 12:24 pm

Interested in finding a Northern beaches based shaper with successful history in making twinnies, ie a shaper with experience of making them back in the 80's and preferably still a respected and operating shaper today... I know anyone can probably make one but I'm keen to find a shaper who's done them before at the time of their peak in the 80's, I'm hoping to get a quality shape by someone with the experience based knowledge to ensure I get a successful attempt at a performing twinnie rather than a younger shapers stab in the dark due to their lack of experience in having made these boards before... etc etc ramble ramble you get the picture hahaha :lol: 8)

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Fri May 30, 2008 12:33 pm

hey wanderer

Mark Richards still does some genuine twinnys and some updated designs too. as you know hes in newcastle though...but what better guy could do them?
the quiky boardstore at northsteyne has a fair few varieties with the price tags to match obviously!

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Fri May 30, 2008 1:05 pm

while you're trying to find somebody, i'll just be looking lovingly at my beautful 78 Bob Margetts shaped MR Twinny. 6'4" and 3in thick of pure fun

:o

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Twinnies

Post by pridmore » Fri May 30, 2008 1:45 pm

WANDERER wrote:Interested in finding a Northern beaches based shaper with successful history in making twinnies, ie a shaper with experience of making them back in the 80's and preferably still a respected and operating shaper today... I know anyone can probably make one but I'm keen to find a shaper who's done them before at the time of their peak in the 80's, I'm hoping to get a quality shape by someone with the experience based knowledge to ensure I get a successful attempt at a performing twinnie rather than a younger shapers stab in the dark due to their lack of experience in having made these boards before... etc etc ramble ramble you get the picture hahaha :lol: 8)
MR is the man , but Webber is doing some interesting high performance twinnies lately...

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri May 30, 2008 1:50 pm

Longygrom wrote:hey wanderer

Mark Richards still does some genuine twinnys and some updated designs too. as you know hes in newcastle though...but what better guy could do them?
the quiky boardstore at northsteyne has a fair few varieties with the price tags to match obviously!
I've been thinking MR longy, I'm concerned about the cost and availability of a custom, I'd be prepared to pay for the priviledge (to a point) but I'm wondering how hard it would be to get the man himself? thats why I'm prepared to look elsewhere, perhaps when the time comes to order I'll start the quest with MR and if it don't work then other options would be considered.

The problem with rackies at the moment is my odd body shape and size, I somehow don't think theres a rackie that would suit --> 100kgs, wide shoulders, full figure from gut to head, but then skinny muscular legs from waist down... what sort of sicko would have that in mind when shaping a rack board hahahaha... nah its gonna have to be a custom with some face to face discussion before hand.

What about Mike Davis?? I've seen plenty of his stellar old twinnies come and go on ebay, more Davis' than MRs come to think of it, anyone know whether Mike Davis is still shaping and where he might be found??

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri May 30, 2008 2:02 pm

^^^
MD's up here at Noosa Wands, doubt you'd get a board off him and he'd probably charge more than MR. A lot of those old MD twinnies were shaped by Col "Mote" Warren. He shaped all my boards and about 75% of all the stock boards back in the day. Last I heard he was shaping again with a shed at Albion Park or Oak Flats. He used to do sick bat tail twinnies, and I reckon he'd likely still have all his templates etc. He'd be your man, see if you can track him down. Think he might call himself Motivation Lines or some such....someone else on here may know more.
Last edited by tiger on Fri May 30, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri May 30, 2008 2:10 pm

thanks Tiger... good to see you back on the web.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri May 30, 2008 4:15 pm

Laurie "froggy" Byrne (no relation to Phil) is another who did some awesome clinker channel twinnies back in the late 70's and early 80's .
Last time I was in there there was a new one on a stand as you walk in.
He's still shaping and would do one no worries.
Apart from that there are some gems in MR's shop on Hunter street.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri May 30, 2008 4:20 pm

tiger wrote:^^^
MD's up here at Noosa Wands, doubt you'd get a board off him and he'd probably charge more than MR. A lot of those old MD twinnies were shaped by Col "Mote" Warren. He shaped all my boards and about 75% of all the stock boards back in the day. Last I heard he was shaping again with a shed at Albion Park or Oak Flats. He used to do sick bat tail twinnies, and I reckon he'd likely still have all his templates etc. He'd be your man, see if you can track him down. Think he might call himself Motivation Lines or some such....someone else on here may know more.
Yeah he's in Oak Flats on Industrial Drive. He's got a factory and showroom out the front and its called Motivation Lines.

Deebs
Grommet

Post by Deebs » Fri May 30, 2008 4:39 pm

hey wanderer

what about peter daniel in Mona Vale...? however, i think he might now be overseas...?
i've got a late 70's daniel twinnie with single flyer, bit of vee in the tail (which it could prob do without)... it's pretty fun in the right waves.
make sure the rails aren't too fat though - gets a bit hard to bury them when needed.

DeeWhyguy
Grommet

Post by DeeWhyguy » Fri May 30, 2008 6:23 pm

Hey Wanderer MR still mows the foam and is very approachable. My mate drove up to Newcastle, spoke to Mark and now is the very happy owner of a Richards’s custom “Flying Fish”. Took about 5 weeks and the cost wasn’t too bad.

p-a
Grommet

Post by p-a » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:17 pm

hayden lewis at insight is the go

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:53 pm

yeah it is simple.
Call Richards surf in newcastle. Tell em you want to talk with Mark about getting a custom twinnie. Or ask his mum when he will be in the shop.
Put in order.
Wait.
Get perfect board.

8)

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:24 am

Check out the lost surf website for some pics of MR's models.
like the look of the quad model