IDEA ?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Thanks Trev for posting the pics, I hope others do the same. It would be cool if we could get some footage too, I got a some of Fong surfing it and the guys checkin the board out.. It was good to get the "MORE the merrier" project started. Everyone who made it was into the whole concept of the project and it was great to talk to you all face to face finally. There was lots of interesting conversation about surfing and boards and Fongs detailed description of how to snap a surfboard in a Ti-Tree pit...Anyway, it has begun, Fong surfed it first and it seemed to go well for him, he said it was very fast and paddled great. The 'Aqua-Bat' will be with Fong for the next week and then I think Trev is gunna have a crack, should be interesting, seeing how he normally rides a 9 fter but thats what its all about, surfing a different board and maybe finding out that you can ride something that you wouldnt ever consider riding...That and getting the chance to meet some cool people along the way...Tiger had a few waves too and although he wasnt expecting too much , he actually did a few nice turns and was pleasantly surprised..He also seemed to like the quad set up where he hasnt liked them much before so its been positive experience for all involved so far...MORE updates soon.....please try to get pics and footage and write some cool stuff in the diary guys......the board has till the 11th of July on he Sunny Coast so if you are keen to have a surf or a few days with the 'Aqua-Bat', get in touch...cheers and thanks ...MP

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:53 pm

Yeah was a fun little get together, good to get the project underway. I got about 5 or 6 waves on it, and was pleasantly surprised the way it performed underfoot. It certainly wasn't a case of me not expecting much Mark, it was more that I thought I had an idea of how it would feel after checking it out. And then to surf it and find it performed in an entirely different manner. I thought with so much planing area and concave, and really low rails, combined with so much fin, that the board would feel a bit platey and slow rail to rail. But it felt really lively, and pretty loose, I reckon I'll try with the little stabiliser in the back next surf. The fact that I was able to jump on it after riding a totally different board, that I was pretty tuned into, and have no problem adjusting to it, speaks volumes. This tells me that the sweet spot is large, and it's user friendly. I reckon you've done really well to make a board that will be very versatile, and have something to offer all the different punters that get to ride it. Looking forward to my next surf on it mate, I'll get back to you with more feedback soon.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:44 am

tiger wrote: the sweet spot is large, and it's user friendly. I reckon you've done really well to make a board that will be very versatile, and have something to offer all the different punters that get to ride it. .
sums it up perfectly....everyones gonna have some fun on it 8)

surf small t-tree on it today...and didn't snap it :roll:

it paddles like a mal...easy get your feet on...and goes pretty fast ( quads hey :idea: )

if anyone wants it up the nth sunny coast end..pm me...

i love see some our crippled friends have a go it....maybe coops when it gets too manky dy :idea: ( u just know this boards gonna have some stories tell :lol: )

p.s u good for the early friday tig :idea:

p.p.s tigers boards look better than prittys boards :shock:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:50 am

I am glad people are enjoying it, very good to hear the feedback and will help me learn MORE about this design and what surfers like and or dislike about it. What I have found is that most guys can easily jump on and have fun on them straight away and theres not a big transition like on some fish boards, the Fat-Bat is stable enough for older guys are guys who usually ride longer boards but still lively enough for shortboard regulars to still throw it around a bit. This board is longer than I would have made it for the guys who have already surfed it and also it has been glassed heavier than I would have liked but when designing it for such a wide variety of body shapes and sizes and because it has a lot of travelling to do I thought that it made MORE sense, so please take this on board when surfing it. There is a stabilizer -tail fin that can be put on if you want to try it as a 5 finner, its in the diary bag inside the cover...lookin forward to seeing some pics and hearing MORe stories....ENJOY

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 am

I now have a problem with the naming regime, MPriddly.

Aqua-Bat and MORE the merrier :shock: sounds like something going on at some seedy gay haunt. OK it’s just my mind. :oops:

Good feed back ladies, want some good action shots though. Can we afford an assignment for BustedButts?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:38 am

Butts has already offered his services when it gets near his area...anyone else able to get shots would be appreciated.... RV, you must have been in too many gay bars coz nobody else was thinkin that ???????

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:48 am

pridmore wrote:Butts has already offered his services when it gets near his area...anyone else able to get shots would be appreciated.... RV, you must have been in too many gay bars coz nobody else was thinkin that ???????
Overactive mind, too many vapours perhaps. :D

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:16 pm

Fong and Tiger,
I should be up for an early on Friday. Let me know what the plans are...

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:32 pm

Booo all you getting friday off in the maroochy shire. My boss scheduled a team meeting in bloody brisbane....at least i get the following friday off!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:36 pm

marcus_h wrote:Booo all you getting friday off in the maroochy shire. My boss scheduled a team meeting in bloody brisbane....at least i get the following friday off!
less crowds that day,just hope the waves are ok....

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:56 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
pridmore wrote:Butts has already offered his services when it gets near his area...anyone else able to get shots would be appreciated.... RV, you must have been in too many gay bars coz nobody else was thinkin that ???????
Overactive mind, too many vapours perhaps. :D
Hope those vapours weren't amil or was it the Vapours Turning Japanese cause you know what that song was about :shock:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:38 pm

Spoon wrote:Vapours Turning Japanese cause you know what that song was about :shock:
pray tell I don’t, Spooned one. I mean I know the song, just never really analyse lyRICs.

Hey Prid, I hope BustedButts isn’t going to bat on the bat. You think he has damaged himself, you should see what he does to boards.

Eewwww, that’ll get back. :twisted:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:42 pm

dont know what he does to boards but he can take a good pic so I am stoked on his offer...

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:26 pm

ric_vidal wrote:I now have a problem with the naming regime, ?
well lets comprised and agree with me naming the board "bluey" :idea:

i'm surfing it as a thruster tommorrow :arrow:

gota love fcs systems 8)

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:36 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
There can only be one "bluey" in this 'litter' :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:49 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote:
There can only be one "bluey" in this 'litter' :wink:
Wrong connotation RB(+), make it sound like a dog :shock:

Howzabout Merry, yeah Something about Merry, what with all this aqua batting and all. :lol:

Thruster hey Fang, MORE info required soonest.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:53 pm

Just found out that Saltman , who was taking the AquaBat to Indo, is now not taking it due to already taking 3 boards and unsure if it's width and design would be suited to the reef waves... So I am hoping that someone else out there might be heading off somewhere and are keen to take the board with them...?????? I would like it to go to some different places , just think it would make it MORE interesting to look back at the end of its journey....suggestions appreciated.....Story in the Coastal Views newspaper tommorrow-( local Yamba -Illuka rag ).....any other newspaper contacts appreciated too....

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:37 am

Met up with Fongo for a morning sesh at Sunshine today, we both took the Aqua bat for a spin. Waves were only 2-3ft, but perfect :D Quite different to the M'dore grovel from the last surf. :D The Bat was fun to ride, and hung in surprisingly well in the steep sections. One thing I did notice when pulling in was that once you set your line it was difficult to make slight adjustments in trim, so you were pretty much committed to that line. Did a few turns that felt ok, no hang ups. Didn't ride it too long as I was amped to get back out there on my board. Crew are gunna have some fun on this board. It'll be a good transition style board for either those who are struggling a bit on a reg shortboard and need more volume, or guys riding longboards/mini mals who want more performance without sacrificing too much paddling. So you've hit the nail on the head Mark, in regards to making a board that will be versatile for the odd assortment of punters that are gunna have a spin on it. Fong took a few piccies, he'll probably post 'em up a bit later.