little noseriders

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

jamp

little noseriders

Post by jamp » Thu May 08, 2008 1:20 pm

I have been checking out those little chunky boards that claim you can nose ride 'em.
I've tried em, but feel a 9ft+ log is too big and too limiting for my level . can't get my arm around em for start... but I am keen to get nose riding.

My question is....
Has anyone used these boards, and how do they go?
I am thinking about something like the Walden mini magic like in the link which go from 6'8" to 7'10".

http://www.surfindustries.com/products/ ... iMagic.php

betterIwas
Grommet

Post by betterIwas » Thu May 08, 2008 1:39 pm

At the risk of sonding like a spinner for his boards, you might look at the Miller Powerglide.

It seeems most owners of Millers are very impressed with the boards.

Check the threads here.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu May 08, 2008 2:08 pm

hmmm... smells fishy...

If you are in fact serious and not trying to just plug some GSI crap, it might help if we knew a bit more about you, ie height, weight, age, ability etc...

other than that, you could probably get 5 over on the 7'10" but you'd be better off on something 8'+, depends of course if youre a midget or a slob.

jamp

Post by jamp » Thu May 08, 2008 2:16 pm

I'm short, 5'3", chunky, 70kgs and currently ride a takayama egg. I'm a pretty crappy intermediate surfer I s'pose, who started late.

I just reckon those little nose rider boards look sweet and like they could be real fun.And was just wondering wether anyone has used something in that style and wether it is possible to nose ride a7ft board... that's all
My Takayama egg has too much rocker for toes on the nose, but I'd like to give it ago without having to get a 9ft board that I'd only use in really specific conditions.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu May 08, 2008 2:49 pm

I've got a Miller powerglide thats 7'6 and can hang five on it and am 92 kilos so you could do it on the 7 footer.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu May 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Make sure you only ride those ones straight towards the beach Jamp if attampting to nose ride.

9'1 too limiting for your abiltiy :lol: :lol: Try a 10'er then :wink:

jamp

Post by jamp » Thu May 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Go on, have a dig!!
Try dragging a 9ft board around when you're a midget like me!!

Sheez...
All I wanted to know was wether those kinds of boards are something fun, useable over various conditions and wether anyone out there uses them, likes or hates em!

In this forum someone's (WANDERER) suggested I'm plugging GSI stuff.

You guys are a tough crowd.
I thought forums were for asking people's opinions on stuff... which is all I've done.

Oh and thanks for the Miller Powerglide tip (betterIwas + sean).
Sounds like the go... local too.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu May 08, 2008 5:44 pm

www.waterskatesurfboards.com
For the Miller Powerglide. I add my erstwhile opinion to the others voiced so far.
I had a 7' Powerglide. Sold it to survive but made up for it by having Grant make me a tastey 7'2" 2+1 egg as soon as I could afford it again. Colour by Mr Worthington of Terry Fitz's airbrushed 70's boards fame.
With a gratituitous shot of the bottom of my carbon/epoxies DVS hydro hull thrown in just for fun.

SDA
Grommet

Another vote on the Powerglide

Post by SDA » Fri May 09, 2008 12:23 pm

I am about 90kg and have a 7'0" Powerglide.. I've only had 2 surfs on it, but with a bit of practice, I reckon I could pull a cheaky 5 on it.

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Fri May 09, 2008 2:06 pm

Have an old Mick Cundith SKY noserider in the Quiver it is 8' 0" and is possible to hang ten on. It also hotdogs nicely. - a nine footer would feel like battleship for you, this is governed more by the contest scene than your individual needs.

A big fat fish may be worth a test ride.

8)

jamp

Post by jamp » Sun May 11, 2008 6:09 pm

I've got a big fat fish too.
6'8" x 20 x 2 3/4, very soft rails.

I'm such a crap surfer I keep thinking a different board will improve my surfing...
Really I should just get in the water heaps more on the 2 boards I've got.

I'm never gunna hang 10, or 5 or even 1 on the boards I've got!

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Mon May 12, 2008 5:00 pm

There's more to noseriding than hanging 5 or 10. Trimming, with some ability to turn, is the functional father of the hang. And yes, you can trim fairly easily on the nose of a Powerglide, making small directional adjustments (bullshit for 'turns') as you need. You can also do it on Walden 6'8" Magic Disc, but the Powerglide seems to be a more versatile board that you can ride off the tail or drive down the line as well. It's usually a thruster set-up, rather than a 2+1, so you won't be hanging 5 over as you cruise all the way down the line. The absence of a bigger fin allows more of a touch-and-go than a real hang. Call Grant Miller if you want smart advice - in my experience he won't try and sell you anything.

jamp

toes on nose

Post by jamp » Mon May 12, 2008 6:33 pm

How's it done?
The toes on the nose (any number)?
IS it impossible on a thruster set up?
Do you HAVE to have big centre fin for it to be possible?
Am I stupid for thinking about getting a fin box put in?

Questions questions!!!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon May 12, 2008 10:22 pm

mate...stop and watch some locals do it :idea:

mayb even grab a longboarding vid or check u-tube for it

from my experence..( and i'm not into it, feet on nose...too much posing :!: ) u got be real flexible and stretch that foot out..this is for hanging five

ten...u fully need a noserider...and only advice i got is walk up there...frock cross stepping but avoid shuffling...if u want ride the nose...just get up there than :idea: try and handle it :idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZTWy36O30

p.s has this been any help u...on a scale 1 :arrow: 10....with 5 being most helpfull :lol:

p-a
Grommet

Post by p-a » Tue May 13, 2008 7:13 am

you should cheak out the Takiama (Spelling?) NR-4 its the short nose rider model with 2+1 fin set up (Im not pluging them i just like the look of the board)

but you will never truley be able to nose ride a board like that or cross step, you could cheater 5 easly

even tho longboarding is taboo get one and surf it properly

waterman1

Post by waterman1 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:32 pm

Jamp - if you're thinking of selling your Takayama Egg, please let me know via PM.

Im keen to buy one.

cheers

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Tue May 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Noice one. For a big guy Tyler really has it down to a fine art.

Jamp, I'm definitely no expert but with the shorter board I think you'll really only be looking at the 'cheater' five, ie crough low, stretch your front foot out but place most of your weight on your back foot. I reckon you can work your way up from trimming and creeping up the board a little; once you've got the feel for it you can go that bit further and get the toes over.

I've got a 7'6'' hybrid with a fairly narrow nose, so noseriding's not really an option, but in the right situation I can get pretty far up for a few moments at least.

Enjoy

Patio

Post by Patio » Thu May 22, 2008 8:37 am

Anyone tried out a Takayama Scorpion as a little noserider? Takayama calls it "the ultimate mini noserider. Surf the board from the nose or turn the board on a dime. Probably one of the fastest mid-length boards out there now with controlled maneuverability."

I saw one in a shop at Byron recently and thought it was interesting as I was thinking at the time of downsizing my longest board from a 9'2".