ebay beauties...

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

WANDERER
Owl status

ebay beauties...

Post by WANDERER » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Thought I should start a thread where we can alert each other to any beauties that happened to be going on ebay or similar sites... not so much for buying, moreso for windowshopping and tyre-kickin.

I saw this one the other day, looks like a brilliant specimen, I bet it'll go for a pretty penny too.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-Surfboar ... dZViewItem

a 7'6" keyo tracker type thingo... nice colour and pinlines too!

Last edited by WANDERER on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Mind if I disagree there Wands :?:

I just don’t get the whole retro thing, maybe because I went through it the first time around.

As much fun to ride as modern boards :?: Or does one get mysteriously spirited away to a better place in time by riding one?

Each to their own. :arrow:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:02 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Mind if I disagree there Wands :?:

I just don’t get the whole retro thing, maybe because I went through it the first time around.

As much fun to ride as modern boards :?: Or does one get mysteriously spirited away to a better place in time by riding one?

Each to their own. :arrow:
I couldnt give two brass farks if you disagree :lol:
ric_vidal wrote:As much fun to ride as modern boards :?: Or does one get mysteriously spirited away to a better place in time by riding one?
Ive had plenty of fun riding old clinkers, sure its hard work in a lot of cases, but thats half the fun for me ie getting my head around how to get the thing to do what you want it to. I wouldn't waste my money these days though, but its nice to look. I Just thought the outline and pin lines and colour were pretty groovy. FWIW, I reckon this here pictured thing would go alright, depending of course on what sort of bottom curve it has (some of these old birds are way too banana-ed)

for me at least:
easy to ride = fun
hard to ride = fun

I've kept some fotos of the board for future reference, might get a modernised version of it built, so it looks the business but goes a lot better than the original.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:03 pm

ps I reckon it'll go for $500+

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:10 pm

WANDERER wrote:I've kept some fotos of the board for future reference, might get a modernised version of it built, so it looks the business but goes a lot better than the original.
So what’s stopping you from having a dig at making one? Just a piece of foam Wands, cost you less than you think if you grab a second from Dion or Midget and if you stuff up, which I doubt, you don’t have to finish it.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:14 pm

How's the question from the chick re: buying for her boyfriend?

If that was my Mrs, I'd be mighty pissed off to receive that hunk of shit. :lol:

Sorry Wands, I'm with RV on this one. :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:23 pm

That’s the other gut wrenching thing isn’t it? The price, and people complain about buying a new fangdangledbellsandwhistles one for not much more.

People are weird.

I think there are some designs that stand the test of time in certain industries, but surfboards, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:44 pm

I must admit people pay amasing amounts of money for things on eBay.

My old NSP mini-mal went for $435 in January and the guy had to pay an addtional $120 in postage.

The ad is still there but the pics are gone: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=012

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Old boards on Evil bay

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:48 pm

The worst thing about E bay is the plague of new Chinese shite which is closely followed by the number of crappy old boards in seriously bad condition which have been dragged out from behind the shed and touted as vintage. I spew on them.
Of course there are some beautiful boards which also go for a pittance.
Quite often they are overlooked when surrounded by all the other crap.
So quite right of Wanderer to start this thread and draw our attention to boards which are/or could be of interest to us.
The ironic thing is if that Keyo goes for $500+ it would be on its historical lineage not so much for its actual shape.
I have a retro shaped 7' Rooster (Darrell Dell- Noosa pioneer) pintail gun single with volane glass, the old green resin, cut laps which was only made a year ago and I bought it for $600. Board had only been in the water a couple of times. First wave on it for me was a stand up barrel at Eno's in between Ti Tree and the Boiling Pot.
Anyway keep em coming Wanderer.

surfanimals
Local

Momentum

Post by surfanimals » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:47 pm

It would be very poor of me to not blow my own trumpet here.....

My South Coast Momentum is on there right now.........go on, have a look.

I'm back on shorty's (6'9 GSI Webber Fat Burner and 7S Super Fish) and friggin' loving them so the dog, I mean log can go.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=011

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: Momentum

Post by WANDERER » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:49 pm

surfanimals wrote:It would be very poor of me to not blow my own trumpet here.....

My South Coast Momentum is on there right now.........go on, have a look.

I'm back on shorty's (6'9 GSI Webber Fat Burner and 7S Super Fish) and ****' loving them so the dog, I mean log can go.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=011
hahaha thats funny, when I first saw that board I thought "I wonder if that belongs to surfanimals?"

EDIT: PS... dude, if I'm logged into ebay I can see your mobile number :? which means everyone can??
too funny.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:20 pm

There was a really nice 10 foot Sam Egan single fin on there as well that only had $650 on it. I know a guy thats got a 7'10" Nipper Williams V bottom if anyones interested . late 60's I think

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:53 pm

If anyone happens to go into cash converters at Bondi Junction they can see an old Hot Buttered mini mal by Mark Rabbidge for $700+ :lol: :lol: :lol:
He'd shape you a new one for less than that.

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:15 am

Cash Converters is a rip joint...convert your cash into their profits by paying greater than full retail for stuff that would be tossed out for nothing at the auctions.

Always pick up the vibe of desperation when I walk through the place...must be all the smackies they are doing business with.

8)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:20 am

I also saw an absolutely beautiful Jim Banks Indo gun in mint condition for $300+ :shock: Don't know who does their evaluations but he doesn't surf.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri May 02, 2008 9:15 am

How fucking much???

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINTAGE-79-G-S-S ... dZViewItem

"Tell 'im he's dreaming!"

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Fri May 02, 2008 11:16 am

Just wondering at what stage does a board stop depreciating and start actually increasing in value?

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri May 02, 2008 12:42 pm

Ted Mullary Gang wrote:Just wondering at what stage does a board stop depreciating and start actually increasing in value?
Whe you forge a famous surfer's signature on it, claim he rode it in a comp and get some fool to believe you on ebay :wink: