7s help

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

smith

7s help

Post by smith » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:56 pm

I am looking at buying a 7s super fish xl, i am tring to scale down from a 9'1 longboard has any one ridden one of these boards? please advise on the specs, where are they made? are they epoxy?

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:25 pm

Just bought one last month. I've ridden 6 foot keel fishes up to 10 foot logs and just about everything in between.

It's the best move I made. Having a ball on it dude. 7'3 x 22 x 3. Floats beautiful, glides across dead sections and is surprisingly quick down the line.

Surfed it about 15 times now and stripped the wax back on the weekend to check the deck out. A few small compressions but certainly no more than other 'reputable' brands. It's a poly board and not epoxy, 6 x 4 oz on the deck and a 6 oz on the bottom.

I'm riding it with Large H2's as a thruster set up and have some S25 Simon Anderson's as a quad for days with a bit more punch.

Go forth and get one. :wink:

Beerfan

7s

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:26 pm

Hey i have one of those too. I find nothing wrong with the glass job. My mate snapped his tuflite after we got hit by an 8ft clean up set a few weeks ago and my 7s xl( 7'3'' ) held up fine. Can't say the same for my undies though.

I like it, but i think i should have went shorter. I ride a 6'2'' twin keel 95% of the time, and i thought it would be a good all round midlength. I guess it is, and i do have a lot of fun on it. However, i think because im used to riding a board a foot shorter, i seem to dig the inside nose rail sometimes when its steep. Otherwise it is a lot of fun. My mate, who rides a lb mostly, borrowed it while his board was being repaired. He loved it, and reckoned it turned unreal. Its got quite low nose rocker, not crazy low, but if you're used to a longboard, it should be no worries as you'll be used to turning longer boards, and be used to getting on your back foot.

Oh btw it's fibreglass, i dont think they come in epoxy, but dont quote me

Cheers

smith

7s boards

Post by smith » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:51 pm

thanks for the info, just wondering what size surf the board handles? I live in Tassie and at times my local spot is 1 - 2 foot will it handle the small size? as well as 6 footers?

the_ROOSTER_

Post by the_ROOSTER_ » Tue May 06, 2008 2:23 am

you current owners.....what's your size/weight, and what length SF XL did you choose...

I've been considering one of these as well, 7S "recommendations" for weight 210+ is the 8'0", but I've seen in their own reviews and on some boards where guys at over 210lb took the 7'3" and it floats 'em jsut fine and still have great results...

I tickin a 215, 220 on a "fat week", and would like the 7'3" , a bigger reduction in size from my longboard.....

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue May 06, 2008 6:58 am

Hey Beerfan,
I know you've got the knowhow and the tools so when you going to cut the nose off that 7S and make it into a 6'8"?

Beerfan

7s

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 06, 2008 9:29 am

Haha nah not gunna do that mate!, i think its easier to make a new board than to modify an existing one.

Rooster, 100kg's for the 7'3'' might be a bit too much. They are qutie flat though, so it might be ok. Depends on how paddle fit you are.

the_ROOSTER_

Post by the_ROOSTER_ » Tue May 06, 2008 10:21 am

thanks, I generally stay right about 97-kg (217 lbs) so might be pushing;

I am generally fit thought and pretty paddle strong, maybe I cna demo one forst somewhere, and see how it runs....

wish they would make a 7'6" in between the two!!! :?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue May 06, 2008 10:26 am

the_ROOSTER_ wrote:thanks, I generally stay right about 97-kg (217 lbs) so might be pushing;

I am generally fit thought and pretty paddle strong, maybe I cna demo one forst somewhere, and see how it runs....

wish they would make a 7'6" in between the two!!! :?
my weight hovers around 100kgs, I have no trouble riding a 6'10' poly keel fish.

7'3" will do you fine, especially if you are reasonably surf fit (read; not a complete novice/kook) as you have mentioned.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Re: 7s

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue May 06, 2008 11:23 am

Ppl will think I'm a salesman on commission but here goes...
You should consider talking to Pridmore about a new custom. I'm in the process of getting a board thru him and I gotta say, it's been a great experience so far.

Mark has asked me the right questions, listened to my feedback and has been more than willing to run with my ideas while at the same time being honest with what he thinks will work. The amount of communication he puts in is amazing, the service has been great. Fong (Mustkillmulloway) and Guard have also got customs from him, I'm sure they will be happy to share their experiences with you. I know they both love their boards.

Other advantages of going with Mark: He can shape you a custom much cheaper than the 7S and you'll be supporting an Australian. The design of the 7S is Australian but I'm pretty sure they are made in Thailand.

To be fair, I have considered a 7S superfish in the past. I've also heard that the '1st generation' of 7S superfish had dodgy glass jobs but the latest batch of boards are a lot better.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue May 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Where are you based? Grant Miller for example does some great boards and you will be supporting Australian shapers. Ask around your local.

seriola

Post by seriola » Tue May 06, 2008 1:41 pm

I am 104kg, I have a 7s in the 7'3" model. Previous to this I rode a 9'6" mal. After a bit of a learning curve I am loving the 7s now. I have also tried a 7s 6'7" - not sure of the model but more a traditional thruster shape with a step deck - could ride it as well but was a bit more difficult although could see it working with a bit of time in the water. Used to ride the mal vs 7s around 80/20 - mal 80% of the time. I'd say the balance is starting to shift to the 7s now. I really like the feeling of being able to pump and generate speed on the 7s to get ahead of the section rather than being at the mercy of the wave. I would comment though that I am starting to think something possibly with a bit more rocker or shorter might be better since I am still clipping the nose of the 7s on bottom turns every once in a while... then again it could be all about skill and of course its the flatness that makes it easy to ride for a heavyweight...my 2 cents...

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Tue May 06, 2008 2:40 pm

the_ROOSTER_ wrote:you current owners.....what's your size/weight, and what length SF XL did you choose...

I've been considering one of these as well, 7S "recommendations" for weight 210+ is the 8'0", but I've seen in their own reviews and on some boards where guys at over 210lb took the 7'3" and it floats 'em jsut fine and still have great results...

I tickin a 215, 220 on a "fat week", and would like the 7'3" , a bigger reduction in size from my longboard.....
I'm 37yo. 97kg. Surf fit with a little padding on my belly (not a beer gut) :lol:

I've worked back from a mal onto the 7'3 and love it. Now also on a 6'9 Webber Fatburner. :shock:

The 7'3 kicks arse in 1 foot grovel to 6-8 foot walls. Just seems to dislike pitching, hollow waves due to the flat forward rocker and nose width.

Perfect east coast travel board to stay absolutely stoked on. :D

the_ROOSTER_

Post by the_ROOSTER_ » Fri May 09, 2008 7:40 am

hmmmmm.......sounds like the 7'3" may actually work for me then...I'm heavy now at 98-99kg(217-219 avg weekly), but I'm at the point in spring where I dig in to shed some winter weight...

maybe I'll set a 210lb target, and "reward" myself when I get there!....

beachpoint

7s help

Post by beachpoint » Mon May 12, 2008 9:46 am

If you want a 7s and want to customize why not go straight to the guy who designed them. He shapes under the Wizstix label on the Central Coast. That way you will get exactly what you want and it will be shaped and glassed in Australia.