3 fins versus 2+1

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Mono

3 fins versus 2+1

Post by Mono » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:32 am

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of getting a new mid-length board later this year (About 7'3"). I've been riding them with a thruster set-up for the last 10 years. But wondering how different a 2+1 set-up would be? Any thoughts?

Mono

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:51 am

Why not have a look at the 7'3" 7s ? can be ridden as a twin, quad or thruster. Longbum tried to put me onto one when I hobbled into his establishment last week.

phil osofer
regular

Post by phil osofer » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:06 pm

The most practical and versatile setup is a 10'' fin box in the middle with FCS plugs for the side fins.
This gives a full range of choices.
Single fin 8''.
Single fin 8'' with 3 1/2'' side fins (2+1).
3 fins the same size(thruster), outside ones with tabs to fit FCS plugs, middle one with base to fit slotted fin box. It is possible to buy an adaptor to fit a tabbed fin in the middle slotted fin box.

FCS plugs for the middle fin is a waste of time as it allows only 1 fixed position.

doowdle

Post by doowdle » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Totaly agree 2+1 on a mid length the best bet for flexability, but ive tried one of those fcs adaptors and it didn't really work that well; bit wobbly. I reckon just a small fin in the box would be better.

Mono

Post by Mono » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:49 pm

sean-- wrote:Why not have a look at the 7'3" 7s ? can be ridden as a twin, quad or thruster. Longbum tried to put me onto one when I hobbled into his establishment last week.
Thanks for the feedback Sean. Not that keen on the 7Ss. Had a mate buy 7S fish. Didn't take long it to fall apart as the glass job was pretty lousey. Prefer Aussie boards too.

Mono

Post by Mono » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:57 pm

doowdle wrote:Totaly agree 2+1 on a mid length the best bet for flexability, but ive tried one of those fcs adaptors and it didn't really work that well; bit wobbly. I reckon just a small fin in the box would be better.
Thanks Phil Osipher and Doowdle. Appreciate the flexibility of having a finbox.

How does surfing with a larger centre-fin and two babies compare to three fins the same size? . . . Speed? Drive? Manounverability etc?

I rarely surf waves over five foot.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Mono wrote: How does surfing with a larger centre-fin and two babies compare to three fins the same size? . . . Speed? Drive? Manounverability etc?
I reckon the babies will slow you down a little; definitely too much drag :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:37 pm

RickyG wrote:
Mono wrote: How does surfing with a larger centre-fin and two babies compare to three fins the same size? . . . Speed? Drive? Manounverability etc?
I reckon the babies will slow you down a little; definitely too much drag :wink:
Dunno RG, migrated my single (mal) to 2+1 and it feels much better, more precise, less slushy than just the single and dare I say more drive, although who the f-knows. Certainly won’t be reverting.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:07 pm

Riccy - what size centre fin? and how far from the tail is the trailing edge of that sucker? Oh and while I'm about it - how far are the trailing edges of the "babies" from the leading or trailing edge of the centre fin. Yeah yeah, I know - questions, questions :? :?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:14 pm

Jorgo wrote:Riccy - what size centre fin? and how far from the tail is the trailing edge of that sucker? Oh and while I'm about it - how far are the trailing edges of the "babies" from the leading or trailing edge of the centre fin. Yeah yeah, I know - questions, questions :? :?
6 3/4" Dion cutaway centre, the rest is a secret. Sidebiters are Speeedfins malcontents. :D Centre is in a box, put it and haven't moved it since.

Nah, don't know, will measure...

Edit: have measured, well guessed as I took the centre fin out for the 'blue project' but roughly 9" to trailing edge. Sidebiters are actually Speeedfins 98S at approx 16.5" to trailing edge.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:16 pm

3 fins good.
2 fins better.
Stop pissing about and get yer MR twinnie.
I will promote these things to the grave, simply because they are that bloody good. :wink:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

2+1

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:42 pm

The thing about 2+1's are that you have some much variation with fin choices.
Use it as a single fin. Try tonnes of different fins.
Get an FCS adaptor and put some tape around it then lever it into the box to stop any free-play if you have any wobbling problems. Then you can run it as a standard thruster and move the centre fin around.
There have been problems with the FCS adaptors failing but they are replacing them with a new material. If one breaks you just take it back for a replacement or credit.
With a 2+1 on a 7'2" I'll use a 7" fin and GX side fins which I like much better than a std thruster set up.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:37 am

salty wrote:
lateralus wrote:3 fins good.
2 fins better.
Stop pissing about and get yer MR twinnie.
I will promote these things to the grave, simply because they are that bloody good. :wink:
I really, really want a MR twinny. Would love to try one first though. Never ridden a twinny, so would be a bit nervous frocking out big$$ for one without trying it first. Then again, I've never heard a bad word about 'em.
If you thought your single was good in small surf wait until you try a twinnie. I had a couple of MR's back in the early 80's and they went unreal.
Checked out a few in his shop last year and they're still the same.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:29 am

salty wrote:Tell me this though (RV? or some other expert), do I loose drive (speed) by pushing the fin forward? I find I really have to work hard to get speed when riding my single... which I kind of enjoy though (really putting some leg oompf in those pumps).
First orf Salty I’m not an expert on any bloody thing, got plenty of opinions though. :twisted:

Now to the question at hand. Well let me answer a question with a question... what happens when you take the back fin out of say your latest channel bottom thruster, or put in a wee one? Turn on a dime right, but perhaps lack some forward ‘drive’?

Thing is on singles, or thrusters but no doubt but less so, you can go for a more upright (less raked) fin and whack it back a bit further. Infinite variety out there, even Fongy’s star-fin hunt (designed by Ben Lexcan & Cheyne Horan).

Got friends who love smallish back fins way forward in their mals, works for them as they do more of spun turns.