Longboard skateboard

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Longboard skateboard

Post by RickyG » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm thinking of getting one to muck around on and try to maintain a bit of muscle memory between (all-to-infrequent) surfs. Does anyone out there ride one? Any suggestions on dimensions or brands to look out for?
Cheers

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:36 pm

sector 9: http://www.sector9.com/
Gravity: http://www.gravityboard.com/

theyre the two main ones to the best of my memory.

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:50 pm

Check out Ebay. Sector 9 boards are a rip off, $330+. I bought a Phase One 42' longboard off Ebay for like $140 bucks delivered to my door. Had it nearly 6 months and still going strong. I love it.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:27 pm

when it comes to skateboards, component wise, you get what you pay for, having said that, I too would baulk at spending $330 on a long skate, I use to make em myself, tis pretty straight forward, but then again I always used to have skate components lying around that i could whack together into a setup pretty quickly.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks for those links Wanderer. Jamoe, the prices on the sector9 website are more like $150-$170 (or is that decks only?). Even if that's US$ it's not too bad. Wouldn't mind picking up a 2nd hand one though to start with - just in case I'm having an early mid-life crisis!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:19 pm

salty wrote:
Jamoe wrote:Check out Ebay. Sector 9 boards are a rip off, $330+. I bought a Phase One 42' longboard off Ebay for like $140 bucks delivered to my door. Had it nearly 6 months and still going strong. I love it.
I've got a standard sk8y, but what the feck do you do with one of these things? Can you ride 'em in the bowl or sk8 park and just do big carves and stuff... can you actually slide these things like you can a std board.
spot on Salty, I started on long skates, then started skating bowls so got a stander skater, long skates are usually only any good for bombing hills or taking speed lines around bowls, which pales in comparison to the sense of fulfilment you get from a 5 metre long high speed backside five-o.

I don't skate anymore, my bones hurt too much, was thinking about getting back into when I saw them building a park and pool near me at Manly vale/balgowlah, once I saw the trannies in the pool however, I was pretty sure that my retirement was permanent.

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:25 pm

I started on a short skatey at the bowl and parks when I was younger. but now use a longboard for flat day fun and because I find it heaps similar to snowboarding. you want an adrenalin rush.... Collaroy Plateau top to bottom - UNREAL!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:40 pm

til ya come unstuck :shock: :? :lol:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:50 pm

RickyG wrote:Wouldn't mind picking up a 2nd hand one though to start with - just in case I'm having an early mid-life crisis!
Good luck to you if you are Ricky.

Skate Boarding - haven't done that for a long time.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:39 am

WANDERER wrote:
I don't skate anymore, my bones hurt too much, was thinking about getting back into when I saw them building a park and pool near me at Manly vale/balgowlah, once I saw the trannies in the pool however, I was pretty sure that my retirement was permanent.
Had to read that line a few times before the penny dropped :wink:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:20 am

RickyG wrote:
WANDERER wrote:
Had to read that line a few times before the penny dropped :wink:
hehehehe yeah, I chuckled to myself when I typed it.

you'd think it'd be natural to find trannies in a pool a bit scary :lol:

seriola

Post by seriola » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:03 pm

I have a longboard skateboard I am wanting to sell. I used to use it occasionally but bought a house up near mona vale where skateboarding to check the swell doesn't really work anymore. I bought it specifically to practice cross-stepping so it is pretty long. I can't remember what brand it is since I haven't used it for a while but if you pm me I'll have a close look at it when I get home. It's in pretty good nik and is top quality stuff. Lots of fun cruising and carving downhills and like I said, you can nose-ride it!

mrpotato
Grommet

Post by mrpotato » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi RickyG,

I have a carvestik which i use on small days and absolutely love it...a few friends have one as well & they all swaer by them...very pricey though so probably not for everyone

Cheers
Mr P

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:15 pm

salty wrote:I think sk8ing is a young tacker's sport.
One word of advice, take out life insurance if you plan on taking up this sport in a mid life crisis.
I agree, I wasn't planning on getting into the 'extreme' side of it :lol: Where I live at the moment has a long, flat driveway and a couple of quiet car parks close by. Was planning to take my two toddlers on their trikes and ride alongside, practising cross-stepping and turns etc. I left my radical skating days back in the '80s where they belong!

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:39 pm

Rickyg,

i currently do alot of DH,

id grab an older style sector 9 and chuck some big gumballs on it.

if u want it to have a morre surfy feel, you'd probly wanna go a more oldskool set up for flat land.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:03 am

bought one of these on the weekend, promptly stacked it, hips a bit sore,
I felt every single kilo of my bulk hit the pavement --> =ouch.

$119 ready to roll... might have to psych myself up a bit before hitting a bowl... especially after hittin the pavement once already, but that was my first ollie attempt in about 7 years, didnt go that bad until right at the end, went up, landed with feet on deck but then i was off balance and i fell off the back, slammed down hard on the road. I think I'll leave the ollies to the younguns and just hit some speed lines and a few grinds. :? :lol:

Last edited by WANDERER on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:08 am

WANDERER wrote:bought one of these one the weekend, promptly stacked it, hips a bit sore, I felt every single kilo of my bulk hit the pavement --> =ouch.
That is what has kept me off them for the time being Wanderer. It's amazing how much a fall can hurt you as an adult. I had so many stacks as a youngster but the frame was never buggered, just the skin (which I left everywhere)

Now if I fell I'd probably do a hip or knee joint or something. The extra weight and height is a killer

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:58 pm

WANDERER wrote:

Where'd you pick it up? A price like that might be about right to give it a go (plus it's my birthday this week so who's to stop me spending a little money on myself!)