Firewire longboards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

sean--
barnacle

Firewire longboards

Post by sean-- » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Checked a few of these out at a shop in Geringong today. They seem a little heavier than Tufflites and designed without noseriding in mind.
They had nice hard edges around the tails and very sleek looking . Definately HP mals with a 9 foot quad model that looks interesting.
Anyone ridden one of these?

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:26 pm

saw a fella on one.
looked like a kook, but when he got up, he surfed really well and his board seemed to go really fast and responsivley.
could have been him but the surf was crap.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:50 pm

theres one in cash converters coolagatta

$1000 but up for offers :shock:

than again u can buy a aussie made poly from kirra surf brand new from $380 :shock:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Firewire

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:53 am

Sure you can buy an inexpensive lighly glassed poly board shaped by R2D2 your soul-less factory made shaping machine right here in Australia.
Should you want to sample alternative board making technology though you have to pay a bit more. Surfing is still free.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:46 am

I wouldn't mind trying one out to see what they go like. Aren't these boards made in QLD ?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Firewire

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Much to do about a new factory to make them on the Gold coast.
Next thing you know they are being made in Thailand.
Funny eh, Global surf industries, Surftech and Firewire all coming from the land of smiles.
I lived there for 11 yrs and back then you had to BYO surfboards.

lamesville
Grommet

Post by lamesville » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:21 pm

GSI is doing it for the margins mate.
im sure if you tried to make surftechs and firewires here in Oz they would come out at least at $1200 or something wholesale. If they want to even have a chance or surviving they had to go overseas. And its not all little ninjas putting them together, there are actually dudes over there who know what they're doing overseeing the whole process.
Im not backing them up, I'm just saying I understand why they have moves OS. Materials, Labour etc. Oz is a prick of a place to make $ from surfboards.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Firewire

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:55 pm

I hear you.
With new technology which should offer better performance and durability which is made here in Australia and marketed accordingly the board makers should be wholesaling their boards for a premium price.
I expect to pay more for a board that could possibly be the best board I've ever owned using the latest and greatest technology which is proudly made in Australia.
Now if we are talking about a lighly glassed poly board that will cave in under my feet in no time at all. I've been surfing too long to bother with that crap anymore.