Got my new board!

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Got my new board!

Post by Grooter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:08 pm

The pics should tell you what it is 8)

I haven't taken it out yet as I need to wait another week for it to cure which means it is going to be an agonising wait. :cry:

Everything you have read about Grant is true as well, the man is a pleasure to deal with. Polite, professional and passionate about his craft. I would only consider getting him to build me a board in the future.

P.S. Hey Shaunm you reckon this should give me a bit more cred? :wink:

SDA
Grommet

Post by SDA » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:18 pm

Very nice!! What are the dimensions?

I actually put an order to Grant last week! How long did it take?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:22 pm

SDA wrote:Very nice!! What are the dimensions?

I actually put an order to Grant last week! How long did it take?
7' long, thickness and width I don't know exactly - I left that up to Grant.I figure its the standard V-Skate dimensions though

It took about a month all up

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:19 pm

salty wrote:Nice board.... looks like a GT HO.

P.S. My momma doesn't own a donkey. :?
Yeah I wanted it to resemble a muscle car like the Falcon GT HO, Monaro GTS, Camaro ZR etc...

It's come up a treat I reckon!

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:26 pm

Yeah nice board there. I've had 2 off him and they were both great. Champion bloke too.

BIGJIM
regular

Post by BIGJIM » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:15 pm

sweet looking board hatch, seeing it has made me keen to go see him next week. ive just spent the last hour reading testimonials on his website. v-skate, waterskate :?: :?: decisions decisions...

What are your vitals? 6'3", 95kegs? Im sure you've posted them before but im farked if i could be bothered finding them.

cheers

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:58 pm

gee....looks the goods doesn't it :!:

seems a pretty standard shape really :?

love the spray :!: nice see a orginal idea work out so well 8)

p.s make sure u let us know how it goes :idea:

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:25 am

BIGJIM wrote:What are your vitals? 6'3", 95kegs? Im sure you've posted them before but im farked if i could be bothered finding them.

cheers
Vitals are 178cms tall and 88kgs in weight. Moderately fit (I go to the gym usually once a week) and surf once every few weeks (had a baby with the missus 8 months ago so it has been a slow process getting out more often)

The boards dimensions are 7'0" x 21 1/4 x 2 7/8
salty wrote:with that nice full outline and low-entry rocker it should go like the clackers through the fat bits and in smaller surf.
Yep that is what I specified to Grant. Down my neck of the woods the waves are mostly of the fat and spilling variety due to big the Southern Ocean swells. There is not much hollow stuff and I don't venture out in anything over 5 feet normally.

I wanted a lot of paddle power and speed as opposed to a lot of turning ability.

I'll try and get out this coming Saturday so I'll let you all know how it goes

BIGJIM
regular

Post by BIGJIM » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:36 am

thanx Hatch, im gonna go see him tomoro morn. Im 197cm & 100kegs so something similar to yours will be lovely i reckon.

Good luck next sat with the new ride, look forward to the de-brief :wink:

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:35 am

Took it out this morning but shouldn't have bothered. Howling 30 knot winds turned Flinders into a washing machine by 8am so I didn't catch a thing except white-wash.

Sunday is looking better (not just because its my birthday!) so I'll most likely get a better idea of it then.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:49 am

Hatchman wrote:Sunday is looking better (not just because its my birthday!)
Have a good one, Hatchling!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:01 pm

Just got back from a damn fine session at Flinders this morning. 3-4ft, light winds etc... I was going to try it out at the ocean beaches but they were massive (6ft closeouts at Gunnamatta) and I thought I'd rather not risk the new board there.

At Flinders (like Bells - fat and spilling, but its a left) the 7' V-Skate goes like absolute stink, paddles better than my old 7'6" NSP and hammers along the wave when you're up. My local requires a 500 metre paddle to get out the back and I paddled it easier than I ever could have in the NSP. Turns really well with the FCS M7 fins too.

I now have a decent the learning curve to climb though. The NSP was dead simple to ride, very forgiving but it had no performance. I am finding I will need to improve my footing, paddle technique and balance a lot more with the V-Skate to get the most out of it but it is going to be worth it. Grant has made me an absolute cracker of a board; it is in another league to the NSP - by a looooong shot.

OT

Post by OT » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:45 pm

I really hope your not saying that Big Lefts is like Bells Hatchman. :roll:

BIGJIM
regular

Post by BIGJIM » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Hatchman wrote:Just got back from a damn fine session at Flinders this morning. 3-4ft, light winds etc... I was going to try it out at the ocean beaches but they were massive (6ft closeouts at Gunnamatta) and I thought I'd rather not risk the new board there.

At Flinders (like Bells - fat and spilling, but its a left) the 7' V-Skate goes like absolute stink, paddles better than my old 7'6" NSP and hammers along the wave when you're up. My local requires a 500 metre paddle to get out the back and I paddled it easier than I ever could have in the NSP. Turns really well with the FCS M7 fins too.

I now have a decent the learning curve to climb though. The NSP was dead simple to ride, very forgiving but it had no performance. I am finding I will need to improve my footing, paddle technique and balance a lot more with the V-Skate to get the most out of it but it is going to be worth it. Grant has made me an absolute cracker of a board; it is in another league to the NSP - by a looooong shot.

sounds like your wrapped with it hatchman, good stuff. i went up to see Grant during the week and have a 7'2 V-skate on the way, should be ready mid april. :D

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:47 am

OT wrote:I really hope your not saying that Big Lefts is like Bells Hatchman. :roll:
errrm no. However as there is not many vics around here I had to think of something well known to equate it to.

OT

Post by OT » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Thats cool Hatch but then you should of said it was stand up barrels.
Those northeners seem to think thats all it does down here. :lol:

BIGJIM
regular

Post by BIGJIM » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:55 pm

picked up the V-skate y'day arvo, went out today after lunch, first wave, kooked it and snapped the farken leggie :x

First surf in nearly 6 weeks and it lasted 10 minutes!!! :evil:

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Spoke to Grant yesterday and will try and get another V Skate after tax time.