Favourite Longboarding wave?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Favourite East Coast Longboarding Wave?

Bells
No votes
Secret south coast spot
7%
Manly
7%
Freshie
15%
Central Coast (Avoca etc.)
2%
Newcastle beachies
5%
Crescent
37%
Angourie/Yamba area
No votes
Lennox Head
No votes
The Pass
12%
Snapper
5%
Greenmount
No votes
Kirra
No votes
Burleigh
2%
First Point
No votes
Johnsons
2%
National Park
5%
Ti-Tree
No votes

Total votes: 41

theboat
charger

Favourite Longboarding wave?

Post by theboat » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:03 pm

I have recently spent a blissfull portion of my life travelling from Bells Beach to Noosa and surfing anything inbetween on a wide selection of longboards.

Much debate amongst my friends and I has prompted me to ask my fellow gliders of their opinion.... if you could take the log anywhere on the east coast.... where would it be?

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Re: Favourite Longboarding wave?

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:58 pm

My best wave was a ride from the far point at Snapper thru Rainbow bay linking with Greenount point and ending on the shore outside Maccas on the street at Greenmount...this was before the pump out of the sand

Troy
theboat wrote:I have recently spent a blissfull portion of my life travelling from Bells Beach to Noosa and surfing anything inbetween on a wide selection of longboards.

Much debate amongst my friends and I has prompted me to ask my fellow gliders of their opinion.... if you could take the log anywhere on the east coast.... where would it be?

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:05 pm

Noosa has to be the spot when it works.

You can surf progressive or traditional at noosa

here why.

When first point is 3 ft and its low tide, it can suck pretty dry off the tack off, hence barrel ride, and then it peels fastly down the line with noseride sections as well as lips to smack.

Johnsons

this wave is fully traditional and is not worth surfing on a tri fin or light wight mal. This is THE LOGGERS ONLY section

Natioanals

You can surf what ever you want out here cause it tends to be a little less crowded and is deeper in depth but longer than most of the other points. It picks up more swell than its inside counterparts.

TEA TREE

This is probally more a more a progressive spot when its ove 4 ft because it can turn on tubes that are pretty heavy. Single fins when its smaller though.

Granite

I hate this place but it picks up the most swell and is better for progresseve longboarders. Probally not worth the walk if the other points are working.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:54 am

Sadly I have to lament the loss of The Pass to crowds. Showing my age but when we used to go to Byron outside of the school holidays, when the Top Pub was rough, bands played the piggery and you never managed to leave the Railway Friendly bar sober, we'd surf the pass on numerous ocassions with sometimes only as many as 3 out. When it was working even if it was small it was still a great wave for a mal. Unfortunately Mr's Cornell and Hogan made Byron acceptable through the glossy pages of the Woman's Weekly. Pushed up the prices, brought in the crowds and rest they say is history. The last time I surfed The Pass I had to dodge and miss more people than on a Sunday at Freshie. (maybe not that many) which was pretty scary,
Cheers Spoon

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:40 pm

I reckon around the Crescent head area. Like from Crescent and down past places like racetrack, big hill, delicate nobby, plomer and queens are all cranking spots cause they all take different swells and winds which means more variety.
Also Coffs Harbour area up to Arrawarra has to be one of the most under-rated areas along the whole east coast. Everytime i have been there its been going off at least 6ft+. The best time was wen it was 12ft at Arrawarra, big mothers steamrolling through around the point breaking all the way, ending up on a 3-4ft shorey. And it was perfect offshore and glassy all day, and i estimate about 7 people (including myself and my dad) came out during the whole day which was just miraculous and in the middle of the school holidays as well!

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:05 pm

im a shortboarder but i often use my friends dads mal when he doesnt want to go out. i had a great surf at north av once when it was offshore, 2'-3' n really fat. shortboarders couldnt get on2 waves and i felt like i was ripping! i probly wasnt tho mind u

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Favourite Longboarding wave?

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:07 am

[quote="Troy_Cisco_Kid"]My best wave was a ride from the far point at Snapper thru Rainbow bay linking with Greenount point and ending on the shore outside Maccas on the street at Greenmount...this was before the pump out of the sand

Before the sand pumping - early to mid 60's actually, I went to Tweed River High School and about twice a year a swell would arrive that ran all the way from outside Snapper (remember Jack Evans Porpoise Pool) and you could ride it through to mid - Coolangatta (no Maccas then either - only real 'burgers from Kevs Diner ("come along and eat before we both starve"). After school you could get 2 or 3 waves befor dark and you had to walk back around or over Greenmount to Snapper after each wave and to pick up your bike for the ride home. Oh! And NO LEG ROPES!!

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:52 am

There are some great longboard waves around, just usually depends on the conditions. If ( and its a big if) you can jag crescent or plomer point without a monster crowd on a reasonable day over 2 ft. its pretty hard to beat though.

all the waves on the poll list are amazing on their day.

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:20 am

Cresent or i had a good one at one mile beach nelsons bay.
best longboard wave world wide Seminyak end kuta beach for me theres much better waves than that but every day i surfed it on a mal it was epic only small but epic.

lrsa_04
Local

Post by lrsa_04 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:09 am

the best place to mal ride is the pass on a really small day when they are just going for ages..o the days

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:37 pm

pass is good, but i would call it over-rated compared to the othe eastcoast right points (crescent,snapper/grenmount,noosa). although, i have only been there for about 2 weeks and it was never truly on.

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:32 pm

did anyone snag any of these beauties during this easter break?

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:46 am

going away for a week in june. taking all my boards and living in a camper dont know where il end up but it'l be better than sydney!

Kookamyer

Post by Kookamyer » Fri May 28, 2004 1:02 am

When the cyclones fire up & slowly move down the coast from QLD theres nothing like wakeing up to a fresh SW offshore, solid 6' to 8' ENE corduroy lines peeling of seal's point, it certainly sorts out those pommy backpackers !

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Sat May 29, 2004 2:06 am

Green Island 4-6ft mid-tide

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:32 pm

I'll probably get bashed by locals for this:

Only an hour from Sydney, east swell, south - north north west winds, works on all tides, but is best on mid to high tide, can get crowded but usually nothing in comparison to those other spots on the list with varying sections that keep longboarders, shortboarders and boogers all happy

ledgy tubes and suckups on the outside to luscious lips and and shoulders through the middle to Beautiful walls for noseriding or top to bottom surfing on the inside, the whole package!!

I'm not going to name the place here but i have mentioned it somewhere before.

Those other spots are hardly worth the effort with todays crowds (call me jaded)

Red
Grommet

Post by Red » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:21 pm

:) Although I live on the Far North Coast I voted for Crescent...Nothing like riding from the Point to the creek mouth...at any size....only to have to walk (run) back for another....
I do remember Byron ..back in the days before "progress" (Spoon)
.........and it was bloody good!!! :D