Bodysurfing

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Mackdaddy

Bodysurfing

Post by Mackdaddy » Sun May 30, 2004 8:42 am

i take my bodysurfing as seriously as i used to surf. any chance of a forum for purists?

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 30, 2004 8:40 pm

I hear and obey! New forum commissioned tonight!

Mackdaddy

bodysurfing. watermen/women unite!

Post by Mackdaddy » Mon May 31, 2004 8:33 am

First - cheers to all the watermen/women who bodysurf as their choice of watersport. There's a few things i want to discuss with you.
good spots for a serious body wave
has anyone used a wetsuit successfully for a bash (if so what type)
gear choice- pods / handboards / fins / webs etc.
anyone from freshy. i believe they have a club.
contests/ gatherings
any vids/ mags / footage etc. where to get it
o/seas news. i.e the Wedge in Cali / Pipeline underground.

I grew up @ shelly beach c/coast. surfed instead of school.
my knees have become dodgy from sport & work so after
moving to sydney I've been bodysurfing bondi & bronte for
10 years+. i know theres a group of auld lads that I've seen
early there for years & a few guys i recognise out the back
-but really I'm just keen to hear others ideas & stories &
try to make a little place for an underated watersport that i love
passionately.

Big thanks to REALSURF. Saving me from driving accross town for nuthin for years now.

Big thanks to Huey for the waves

WiNzA
charger

Post by WiNzA » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:32 pm

do u guys like actually go across the waves and sh*t or to u just ride em straight?
it isnt always the fastest or the biggest, rather the most determined

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:00 pm

mackdad ... although my first choice of equipment is mini mal/mal before I became born again I did about six months bodysurfing just to try an re-familiarise some wave sense. Although I started out in winter, I'd recommend a steamer just about all year round ... while you'd fry in one on a board in summer, I think their benefits (sun/bluey prtection/buoyancy and armour plating when you shoulder roll off a sandbar) are tops. OK, you look a goose hopping over red hot sand to get to the water, but really, once you're in and fully immersed you're set for the hour plus session. Obviously, get one that's as tight as possible ... modern neoprene is pretty amazing stuff. Mine's a Rip Curl classic but I don't know whether I recommend it due to some seams popping. Talk on these forums seem to point to O'Neill wetties getting the best wraps. I bought a O'Neill Hammer spring suit a couple of years back and it's as good as new.

Mackdaddy

Post by Mackdaddy » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:15 am

cheers for the wetsuit tips. you don't find it creates drag?
& yes, to the other bloke i'm not a big fan of crashing straight down the wave. when the wave allows I've travelled from one side south to north bronte in one smooth arc.

kjpwong
Grommet

Post by kjpwong » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:34 pm

hi fellas
unlike some of you senior lads i m actually still in high school bu ti aint interested in surfing shortboards like my mates do. i do a bit of longboard on me old mans and plenty of body surfing. i have always done bodysurfing with nothing but speedos, and i usually go to freshie in summer. i just couldnt get enough of that glide and pounding from the drop.
anyways, good to see bodysurfers here although no many. do u guys use fins for bodysurfing? i got a pair of normal swim fins (force fin slim fins)at home and i have never tried them in the surf for some reason, do they work well?
i hvae seen these weird looking "shinfins"(yes you read it right, shin fins) do u guys know anyone who wears them? they are supposed to be pretty good.

cheers (8)

DaveK
Grommet

Post by DaveK » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:48 am

I joined RealSurf coz of this forum....

hey kipwong, on bigger waves or when you're out of reach of the bottom, I reckon fins are the go. Get back out faster, get on faster, take off later (get that big drop), manouvre better on the wave, ergo, catch more waves. Not essential, just better.

I warmly recommend good flipper savers too. I had a fin peeled off at Newies peak just last Tuesday arvo, jeez! But having to pull a fin back on when you're in the zone is better than losing it for good.

You were asking - so type 'surf shinfin' into Google.

And I agree: on a good day, just me, the Speedos and a wave is sweet as.

kjpwong
Grommet

Post by kjpwong » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:59 am

hi davek
good to see a few body surfers but love to see more!!
wouldnt newport be full of shortboarders all year around? its not the biggest beach, i thought it would be a bit hard to get on a desent wave without being yelled at by some arrogant shourt boarders.....
anyway, good to see all of ya

:)

DaveK
Grommet

Post by DaveK » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:43 am

Nah, it's a great beach for swimming too, can be great fun off the clubhouse on a good day. The shortie riders are OK generally, some good talent amongst them - go guys and stay over there.

see ya

kjpwong
Grommet

Post by kjpwong » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:24 pm

davek
i got a mate lives a newport who surfs a fair bit, james nicholson, hes ok and i think you might have see him around.
this might sound a little weird but do you wear googles while bodysurfing? i do sometimes cuse' i have contacts, but sometimes i just couldnt be bothered to bring them.

DaveK
Grommet

Post by DaveK » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:48 pm

Hi KJP, I'll look out for your mate, don't know him though. What's he ride?

Go the goggles. They must be great for contacts, nothing like actaully seeing what you're amongst. As wanto says, 'whatever floats your boat'. I used them today. Ace on bright sunny days if they're tinted, really good for dophin spotting when they get up close.

kjpwong
Grommet

Post by kjpwong » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:52 pm

yeah, i wear them every once in a while not just to avoid water splashing in but also looking out for people in your way, i have smashed into blokes by accident and it hurts!!!
where do dolphins appear and when? i normally surf/ swim on the northern beaches. have you spotted any at newport?
cheers

DaveK
Grommet

Post by DaveK » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:29 pm

Dolphins - yep, now and then, anywhere in the bay in the mornings. Once I spotted one right near me. Then a heap of nippers from the local lifesaver clubhouse (it was a Sunday) came hurtling into the water on little skis, trying to be quiet and catch them at the same time. Go kids! It was funny.

I swam towards them and had a good look (a goggles-on day!) but they're wild and pretty darn strong, I felt no need to get headbutted by one for being too nosy.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:52 pm

DaveK wrote:I felt no need to get headbutted by one for being too nosy.
dolphins do that?
i know their agressive, but not to humans i thought

DaveK
Grommet

Post by DaveK » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:21 am

Hi Macca - don't know if those were or not, but from a few metres away underwater they are impressive. Not knowing them personally, I decided not to invade their personal space, just swam for a while nearby. They're big 'fish'.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:51 am

i see them a lot at dy. last time was on friday. it was funny cos i suddenly heard someone freaked out saying shark shark. i just ignored it thinking he was crying wolf (or shark) but when i turned around i saw people laughing when a few dolpins started jumping half out of the water. I paddled up to some of them for a closer look, and suddenly one shot almost directly under me, not much further than a meter away. Gives you a bit of a fright when they do that. So do those birds who dive for food, out of the blue, one of those birds just exploded into the water a couple of meters infront of me. little bastard freaked me out.

DaveK
Grommet

Post by DaveK » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:59 pm

Funny! (sorry for laughing) The first appearance of 'the fin' is always a heartstopper.

Once in Perth I looked sideways as I was coming down a storm wave to see a seal pop out on the same wave, surfing cool as KS. (Goddam gutslider!) He freaked and bolted, I got such a fright (he was about 3 feet away) I stalled and ate it. Big laughs later but my heart rate hit 200 for a coupla seconds.