Softies

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Softies

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:33 am

:D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Beanpole on Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Softies

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:34 am

Beanpole wrote:Since this is an alternative wavecraft area I thought we should have a review of soft surfboards i.e. ones you can ride in the flags.
I'm interested at the moment because I've said I'll buy my son a replacement for his much loved microlight pro for his birthday. It still seems a better design than most of the ones I've looked at but theres a swallowtail, fishy looking one around which may be the goods. Anyway any advice would be welcolme since I know theres a fair few people with one in there quiver.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:43 pm

Actually bought a largish softie at about the exact time they knocked the size limit down to 6' at Bondi. Oh well. :?
Still plenty of guys riding 6' softies at bondi and tama.
This is about as close as you can get to an uncrowded wave this time of year.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:09 pm

Poor guard I sympathise with you, one moronic lifeguard can ruin a lot of people's days...

Re softboards: Try the El Nino Twinino, pretty crazy.

Freestyler
regular

Post by Freestyler » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:36 am

My youngest daughter, 18, says he's finally going to get serious and learnt to surf now that she no longer at school and has plenty of time on her hands. Have tried to teach her in the past but like most kids she wasn't keen on listening to parent. Wants to do it her way. Which is cool, thats how I did it, the hard way.
She just bought an old, cheap 9'plus log, but its a beast of a board and I worried if she tries to learn on it amongst all the other learners she come home with a busted head.
I ride short boards, so would like advise on what length softie she should learn on, 7' or longer. Is a 7' softie stable enough for a beginner or does she need longer. I would like her to be able to surf it near be flags, away from fibreglass board area, so length may be an issue.

thecds

Softies

Post by thecds » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:11 pm

Hey Freestyler,
When my youngest girl wanted to learn to surf , we got a 8' softie and it was great for her. A bit hard to carry down to the water because of the diemnsions etc (she was 13 at the time), but steady as, and allowed her to at least ride a wave and creat an interest in the sport. It also gave me a surfing partner and a reason to go for an afternoon surf....
She is now on a 7'6" glass board and loves it!

Freestyler
regular

Post by Freestyler » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Thanks thecds. I thought a longer softie would be best for stability. You find any probs surfing an 8' near flagged areas?

thecds

Post by thecds » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:19 pm

Never really had an issue, although I went with her most times and because of that, we were not surfing within the flags.
She felt more comfortable with less people around her anyway, especially knowing that there was very little control with the board, with her on it.
Hope this helps?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:29 pm

Boards under 6' at Bondi. Although last swell they were letting longer softies take on the consistent peaks. I bought an old one off here years ago for my daughter but she rarelly used it and now she doesn't even go out on a lid. Teenagers :roll:
I , on the other hand, have found the 8 footer very handy on occasion but never moreso than over the last couple of weeks.

Part of the reason my daughter doesn't surf much is probably her little brother who is the complete fish and teases her when she goes out. I got him a new microlight pro after he eventually destroyed his last one. Five years not too bad. Those boards are actually cheaper than they used to be and are a better product for a kid than the other ones in my opinion. Theres some real dogs out there.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:00 pm

What beach Guard?
Most spots up to 6' and foam is OK, this excludes those McT and the like Softops you hire from a surf shop. It means like Redback, SDS etc types.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:04 am

There is one brand allready fitted with fcs fins :) :) :)

Freestyler
regular

Post by Freestyler » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:25 am

Which brand?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:57 pm

If you can dredge up an old Mac T your quest will be answered. They may hold water and leak like a tap but theyre a way better shape than all the others and they take fcs fins. I think theyre out of business now.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:45 pm

Beanpole wrote:your quest will be answered.
Ah, a quest, I will henceforth taketh thine quest to heart as thou doth love a good "quest".
Beanpole wrote:They may hold water and leak like a tap
Ah, but first thy has to ponder thine puzzle :?

After pondering your puzzle, I have concluded that thy quest is for a fair maiden, with a weight issue and a loose mouth :?:

p.s I think that thy fcs fins will piss'eth off'eth thine surf-life-savers as they do slay the board'less way to easily :!:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:15 pm

So ye seek the grail?
Keep ye fins underwater and a tight lip.
Whoops, broketh my own rule :roll:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:03 pm

Beanie, cant take McT Softops inside, officially.
Caught up with a couple of friends who'r Freshie locals (dont laugh). Anyways they got the shits with the new clubbies flag placements so kept riding through ignoring all demands and threats. After 2hrs they moved the flags up to the northern end.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Yeah, I'm sure it wont be a regular occurance at bondi but it was good fun for a few days. Congratulations to the lifeguards for calling it the way they did given the swell conditions.