"MORE SURFBOARDS"

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

"MORE SURFBOARDS"

Post by pridmore » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:03 am

Not totally happy with your board or want something a little bit special ?

"MORE SURFBOARDS"
Last edited by pridmore on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:21 am

Hey bro, generous offer!

Im 5'11 76 kgs and need a board for 2-6 foot waves and I want to be able to duckdive easily but also get onto waves without flogging myself. I surf mostly beachbreaks but the odd sucky reef as well.

I want a board that I can progress from- ATM I can pull into little tubes and do really shit turns, but I would like to have a board where I can progress into doing proper cutbacks and reos, use the most powerful part of the wave more.

What do you suggest?

dougirwin13
Grommet

Post by dougirwin13 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:44 am

Interesting!

What design features would you put into 1 9'1" perf board so that it can belt the lip, tuberide, but still get ten over?

-doug

pridmore
Owl status

designed 4 you

Post by pridmore » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:09 pm

crooked wrote:Hey bro, generous offer!

Im 5'11 76 kgs and need a board for 2-6 foot waves and I want to be able to duckdive easily but also get onto waves without flogging myself. I surf mostly beachbreaks but the odd sucky reef as well.

I want a board that I can progress from- ATM I can pull into little tubes and do really shit turns, but I would like to have a board where I can progress into doing proper cutbacks and reos, use the most powerful part of the wave more.

What do you suggest?
Would really help to know what you are riding now so we can make the necessary changes to create the ideal board for you. your height and weight is very similar to mine so will be easy...

pridmore
Owl status

designed 4 you

Post by pridmore » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:16 pm

dougirwin13 wrote:Interesting!

What design features would you put into 1 9'1" perf board so that it can belt the lip, tuberide, but still get ten over?

-doug
Not sure you are on the right craft if you wanna belt the lip and get ten over but i would suggest having more rocker to create a board that can surf up and down more than a standard board of that length. Kicking the tail rocker will give you more manouverability for getting up to the lip , concaves ander your nose will give you lift and speed and assist in nose riding. Not too thick so its responsive and full of life...

crooked
Local

Re: designed 4 you

Post by crooked » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:23 pm

pridmore wrote:
crooked wrote:
Would really help to know what you are riding now so we can make the necessary changes to create the ideal board for you. your height and weight is very similar to mine so will be easy...
I have a memory like a sieve, sot this is all I can remember.

Its a brian kelway (ulladulla shaper) thruster, 6'8 about 18" wide with a fair amount of rocker swallow tail, thick stringer.

I like that is easy to duckdive, but its not so stable coz its not very wide. It feels very loose. Im not sure that the rocker helps me get onto fatter beach break type waves (i think it was made for the sucky reefs around ulladulla).

FYI I have been predominatey a bodyboarder until about two years ago, (although I have been standing up for about ten years now) so I think I have the potential to progress faster than someone who doesn't have all that much experience.

I don't want a board that I cant get out the back- soo frustrating! id rather get out the back and not catch a wave than get belted around in the lineup with a board I cant duckdive. I can duckdive the BK under four footers easy.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:26 pm

crooked wrote:
pridmore wrote:
crooked wrote:
I have a memory like a sieve, sot this is all I can remember.

Its a brian kelway (ulladulla shaper) thruster, 6'8 about 18" wide with a fair amount of rocker swallow tail, thick stringer.

I like that is easy to duckdive, but its not so stable coz its not very wide. It feels very loose. Im not sure that the rocker helps me get onto fatter beach break type waves (i think it was made for the sucky reefs around ulladulla).
Sounds like you know the problems already mate, I would suggest something like a 6'4 x 19 3/4 x 2 1/2 ( or bit thinner to assist with duck-diving but the thicker the easier to paddle, 2 1/2 is a happy medium)
Nose width of 13 3/4 Tail of 15 1/4 (12 inches from nose and tail )
Shallow swallow tail or maybe a rounded pin ( stable, fast yet still manouverable )
Rocker is very important so i would try a little flatter than your current board while still having sufficient curve in the nose to make steeper waves, very slow gradual curve thru the middle and tail will give you speed and stability.
also a very subtle concave into double concave is fast, keep them subtle for best results
thrusters are easy to ride but quads are great fun and surf very similar,

hope this was a little help and i am sure you will enjoy surfing this board more than your current one, maybe keep it for the bigger hollow sessions ...

FYI I have been predominatey a bodyboarder until about two years ago, (although I have been standing up for about ten years now) so I think I have the potential to progress faster than someone who doesn't have all that much experience.

I don't want a board that I cant get out the back- soo frustrating! id rather get out the back and not catch a wave than get belted around in the lineup with a board I cant duckdive. I can duckdive the BK under four footers easy.

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:36 pm

Cheers cobber.

I'll keep all that in mind when Im hunting around for boards, maybe take your suggestions to a shaper and get a custom made up.

dougirwin13
Grommet

Post by dougirwin13 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:40 pm

pridmore wrote:

-doug
Not sure you are on the right craft if you wanna belt the lip and get ten over but i would suggest having more rocker to create a board that can surf up and down more than a standard board of that length. Kicking the tail rocker will give you more manouverability for getting up to the lip , concaves ander your nose will give you lift and speed and assist in nose riding. Not too thick so its responsive and full of life...
OK, I'll admit it. I was trying to suck you into a discussion on what does and does not make for a good perf longboard :) And an LB has to be 9'0" or over to qualify in comps (hence my 9'1" for safety).

More rocker is certainly one option. How does very hard, sharp rails in the rear, gong to slightly tucked midlength and sharpening up ever so slightly in the nose sound? Pretty thin and a bit wider than usual. Such an edgy beast is obviously going to want to take off and not hang around in the wave for a noseride! So some compensation is gonna be required. Progressive tail rocker or a rounded pin maybe. And fin options couple be interesting.

-doug

pridmore
Owl status

design 4 you

Post by pridmore » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:22 pm

crooked wrote:Cheers cobber.

I'll keep all that in mind when Im hunting around for boards, maybe take your suggestions to a shaper and get a custom made up.

would be stoked to shape you one up for a good price. Anyway all the best and you really should get on the correct board because you dont wanna waste good waves and not enjoy your surfing experience as much as possible. I would gladly send you a few pics of my shapes if you would like. Boards start at $450 ( you dont always have to pay thru your teeth for a great custom designed surfboard ) ...
Last edited by pridmore on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:26 pm

dougirwin13 wrote:
pridmore wrote:

-doug
OK, I'll admit it. I was trying to suck you into a discussion on what does and does not make for a good perf longboard :) And an LB has to be 9'0" or over to qualify in comps (hence my 9'1" for safety).

More rocker is certainly one option. How does very hard, sharp rails in the rear, gong to slightly tucked midlength and sharpening up ever so slightly in the nose sound? Pretty thin and a bit wider than usual. Such an edgy beast is obviously going to want to take off and not hang around in the wave for a noseride! So some compensation is gonna be required. Progressive tail rocker or a rounded pin maybe. And fin options couple be interesting.

-doug[/quote Ever seen the '' bottle'' or '' squid '' designs ? different but designed for extra performance in longer boards ...

dougirwin13
Grommet

Post by dougirwin13 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:49 am

You mean those flyer plus deep swallowtail things?

Never really thought of putting one onto a bigger board.

They look fast for a smaller board.

-doug

Ruby

Re: designs done for free

Post by Ruby » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:00 pm

pridmore wrote:Because boards are my passion and i love dsigning them i am offering to design boards here for free. It may help alot of people get on to a more suitable surfcraft coz way too many are struggling on the wrong board out there. Some may disagree with my designs but i have 20 plus years of surfing and 15 years of shaping. This also allows me to practice designing so feel free to give me your details and ask some questions, talk soon.[/b]
How about posting up a few pics of the boards you have shaped?

pridmore
Owl status

designs 4 you

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:20 pm

dougirwin13 wrote:You mean those flyer plus deep swallowtail things?

-doug
Nah, the squid and bottle are designs that have very different outlines which are too hard to explain without pictures and probably only suited to people willing to think outside the circle. Both are functional designs but do look quite diff to your standard board. Good luck trying to find a picture of one, maybe try a place called the boredroom on the sunshine coast queensland ( unsure of spelling ) look for the squid

pridmore
Owl status

designs 4 you

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:01 pm

[quote="dougirwin13"]You mean those flyer plus deep swallowtail things?

-doug[/quote

look for the squid at the board rack surf shop at noosa- mite have web site]

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:58 pm

HI Pridmore,

Your offer is generous, but if you are scouting for business, which is perfectly fine, then it makes sense to tell us who you are, where you're based and perhaps post some pix of boards you've made.

cheers,

Col / moderator

dougirwin13
Grommet

Post by dougirwin13 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:01 pm

Nah, not much on their website really.

http://www.boardrack.com.au/

Guess I'll have to take a peek myself, next time I'm up that way.

-doug

pridmore
Owl status

scouting for work

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:47 pm

collnarra wrote:HI Pridmore,

Your offer is generous, but if you are scouting for business, which is perfectly fine, then it makes sense to tell us who you are, where you're based and perhaps post some pix of boards you've made.

cheers,

Col / moderator
No worries, i am Mark Pridmore and i shape and design surfcraft and have done so on and off for about 15 years. Its always been a part-time thing but its my passion and love to make it more of a full time job. I am based in Yamba but travel between here and the Sunshine Coast alot. I will try to post pics again but have been unsuccesful last few times. I can e-mail them as i have done to others who have been interested.
Regards, Mark