Big Boy Fish - any ideas/suggestions?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Eagle

Big Boy Fish - any ideas/suggestions?

Post by Eagle » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:07 pm

G'day all - new member here - thought you guys might be able to help with some advice.

Am a mal rider - and am looking to get something shorter. Will admit I am a complete kook - but love nothing more than spending time in some waves. Surf mostly bondi - maroubra. (OK - I know it is not the nth beaches).....

Was thinking of getting a fish for summer. Was thinking a twin keel skatey type of board. Weigh about 100kg - so bouyancy is a main concern on going something shorter.

Anybody have some thoughts / ideas about board specs?? Was thinking something around the 7' x 23 x 3 might be the go - anyone ridden a fishy type board that big?

Have had a look at sth coast longboards and jacksons websites - seem fishes 'top out' around the 6'6' mark.....

thx eagle

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:29 pm

I have a 6'10" T and C, Robert fenech twin keel, got it off ebay for a steal.

I love it, although it does need a bit of wall in front of it to get the full benefit, in peaky slop I still find its best to have three fins to generate a bit of squirt.

6'10 is way bigger than I need in a fish, but like I said, I got it off ebay and the price was way right.

I weigh about 100 and this board is fine, being a bit of a kook, 6-10 would probably suit you fine.

ImageImage

betterIwas
Grommet

Post by betterIwas » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:36 pm

You could have a look at Mark Rabbige's Fatboy Fish

www.retrolongboards.com.au

Nice bloke too

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:44 pm

Hey Mate,

I did the same thing a little while ago and got a 6'3". I did it mainly for travel reasons as I thought it would be easier than carting a 9'2" around the globe - and it was but I still missed my longboard; noseriding, more waves, better in smaller surf etc. It's probably just because I wasn't good enough to get more out of the board but I found I suddenly wasn't able to do any of that anymore. I ended up selling it. My solution to the travel issue now is to buy a Pope Bisect. Im 6 foot and weight 90 kgs, didn't really have any problems with buoyancy, paddling for what's it worth.

Last edited by LONGINUS on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surfanimals
Local

Re: Big Boy Fish - any ideas/suggestions?

Post by surfanimals » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:27 pm

Eagle wrote:G'day all - new member here - thought you guys might be able to help with some advice.

Am a mal rider - and am looking to get something shorter. Will admit I am a complete kook - but love nothing more than spending time in some waves. Surf mostly bondi - maroubra. (OK - I know it is not the nth beaches).....

Was thinking of getting a fish for summer. Was thinking a twin keel skatey type of board. Weigh about 100kg - so bouyancy is a main concern on going something shorter.

Anybody have some thoughts / ideas about board specs?? Was thinking something around the 7' x 23 x 3 might be the go - anyone ridden a fishy type board that big?

Have had a look at sth coast longboards and jacksons websites - seem fishes 'top out' around the 6'6' mark.....

thx eagle
I messaged you in private - go to your inbox.

And also see this thread;

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12018

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:11 pm

betterIwas wrote:You could have a look at Mark Rabbige's Fatboy Fish

Nice bloke too
Unless you happening to be surfing the same break and he is on a filthy big mal and is on a personal mission to pick off every wave... yep, nice bloke, just not to surf with :wink:

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:35 pm

Cheers for the tips - much appreciated. Am always amazed at some of the gems that appear on ebay amongst the other clutter....

Being new to this site - am sure there is a few threads on that...!

Good idea to add a smaller board with all this rubbish going around about travel restrictions.....was over in Yallingup in Feb and reckon a fish would have been tops around some of the other breaks over there.

Thanks again for the info.

betterIwas
Grommet

Post by betterIwas » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:52 pm

ric_vidal wrote:

Nice bloke too
Unless you happening to be surfing the same break and he is on a filthy big mal and is on a personal mission to pick off every wave... yep, nice bloke, just not to surf with :wink:

Point taken - never surfed with him - just bought boards

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:59 pm

betterIwas wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:

Nice bloke too

Point taken - never surfed with him - just bought boards
Yes a few grumbles down Green Island way along those lines.

pridmore
Owl status

big boy fish

Post by pridmore » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:55 am

Mate, i have been shaoing alot of this style of board lately and would suggest between 6'6 and 6'10 with alot of area thru-out for stability ( so your transition from a mal is easier ) and go for the twin fin with the smaller tail fin ( fcs plugs so you have options works well ). I love shaping for guys like yourself and get a huge buzz to se guys really enjoy surfing when they get on the correct surf craft. Remember volume is super critical, please feel free to contact me if you have any queries, i can do you exactly what you need in a custom desiged board for about $ 475 , just e-mail me