Tuberiding a longboard, maybe?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 pm

The sight of dollar bills with wings disappearing into the ether sure curbs my reckless abandon in big crunchy surf on a mal but I love the feeling. It helps if you have faith in your boards construction.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:40 pm

Every broken board in this thread has one thing in common...

..single stringer..

I'm sure this doesen't hold true in every case at all but in my personal experience it has. When I earned my first paycheck I couldn't wait to but a Bear board - because of the name only of course, I snapped that single stringed piece of crap three times before I left the top half in the lineup on break 4, took the bottom half back to the car, removed the leg rope, box fin and ran over the bottom half on purpose as I drove away.

From then on I bought boards based upon the advice of more experienced riders which has served me pretty well I must say but I have never snapped a double or triple stringed board. I have been pretty suprised at my 9'2" McTavish fireball, a thick single stringer. I have wiped out on that thing or been caught inside and bailed at the bower a couple of times. I remember being underwater thinking that it must have been creased or bent for sure but - not a scratch. Any more experienced riders or shapers have any thoughts on the stringer to snapping ratio?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Don't know if I fit that bill but anyone who knows the relative strength to weight ratio of ply would definitely feel more confident with three ply stringers than one.

I got a three stringered board partly for that reason but also I remembered reading somewhere about three stringers making the board more balanced and stable. Still feel a bit conservative though in larger surf compared to on my old tufflite.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: Tuberiding a longboard, maybe?

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:55 am

passanger wrote:. On a longboard in the tube, where do you want to go when the wave closes out? And where do you go? I know it's a bit of hit and miss, just don't want to get hit hard.

:D
pick me pick me....i'm a expert at falling off in the tube :lol:

the secret is squeal just b4 u go under therefore missing out on that last desperate breath :!:

nah....i reckon if u know your not coming out....either fall off the tail and spear u board into the tube or walk off the nose and spear backwards away from u

avoid placing board in lip line :idea:

the best deepest barrels i've seen has been mal riders ( like seen as in ,in the water with em)

i really need travel more eh :cry: :oops:

p.s
LONGINUS wrote:

wtf...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:21 am

lol, yeah - sorry, being a signature geek - ill stop now :wink:

dougirwin13
Grommet

Post by dougirwin13 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:23 am

LONGINUS wrote:Every broken board in this thread has one thing in common...

..single stringer..
Pardon my evil snip :D

They have another thing in common too - PU/PE construction!

-doug

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:39 pm

Thought some of you might like this sequence - wahoo !

Mal Gun getting put through it's paces. Love it.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:45 pm

^thats awesome....lovly style :idea:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:33 pm

One factor with single fin mals and single fin boards generally is how far the fin is back. In the old days single fins were designed for kirra with the fin hanging out over the tail. They would slide but hold the board in trim.

If you see that footage of Joel Tudor getting barrelled in Siestas and Olas his board has a similar set up.

Not necessarily good for much else but sure to hold in hollow surf.

passanger

Post by passanger » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Thank you all for the tips. I've ridden this performance Hobie (9 x 22 1/4 x 13 3/8 ) for some 30 sessions now and it's been great, very fast, friendly & turns well. My previous 9'1 was a bit more rockered and with this Hobie the nose seems to be moving a little closer to the surface. Just need to keep the board more on the rail, so far no real pearling problems. (And the new Brazilian world champ ripped on this board in overhead Anglet beachbreak.)

I've also got a more pulled in Surftech R.French 8'0 hybrid that I haven't ridden for ages, I've felt carrying two big boards around is too much since I'm typically on a surf/family trip when I ride the good waves.

I'll be going to Canarias next week and to Bali later this winter (again) 8) For that I've been wondering if I should get another board for the perfect headhigh waves. So far I've been happy riding those conditions with the longboard, just staying a bit further out on the shoulder. I'm 70kg/150lbs so thought I could buy something like 7 foot AlMerrick M13, Bear 7'6 Versatile or Rusty 7'6 Desert island (or I could just take my 8 foot hybrid back to use)?

But then again I like the simplicity of travelling with just one board (riding a scooter in Kuta traffic is scary enough with one longboard on the rack :shock: ). I would prefer the idea of just learning the hollow stuff on my 9 foot Hobie unless it turns out to be impossible (soon 40 years and surfing only 60-70 days per year)? Keep the good tips coming, It's been great to log in this forum!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:20 pm

surfanimals wrote:Thought some of you might like this sequence - wahoo !

Mal Gun getting put through it's paces. Love it.
hatzikian???

love his work.

doowdle

Post by doowdle » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:48 pm

man that guy RIPS. Watched singlefin yellow earlier today for the first time in a while - the extras segment of tyler on his green board is awsome.