Who's got the oldest surfboard

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Who's got the oldest surfboard

Post by Beanpole » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:55 pm

Since not much is happening in this section thought a new topic might be in order.

I've got a clapped out pigboard with a big reverse D fin and no stringer. Must be early sixties I'd guess. I'm sure someone can top that.

puurri
Owl status

Re: Who's got the oldest surfboard

Post by puurri » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:07 pm

Beanpole wrote:Since not much is happening in this section thought a new topic might be in order.

I've got a clapped out pigboard with a big reverse D fin and no stringer. Must be early sixties I'd guess. I'm sure someone can top that.
Well mate,

I'm a 1947 model clapped out (metaphor) flexi rail, adjustable and multiple waterline, semi planing single skeg surfcraft and am sure there are older ones still in use in a variety of situations. :D :shock: 8) :lol:

Read Neville De Mestre for the plan specs (we make the impossible of physics the possible) :)

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:52 pm

Beanpole wrote:Since not much is happening in this section thought a new topic might be in order.

You could probably rip someone over $2K on eBay for that :D Collector's Item and all :wink:

lizard king
Grommet

Post by lizard king » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:01 am

I have an old reverse D fin, single stringer - no brand markings?, but I did notice that it had the same shape as an old pig board on surfsearch. It has a pointier nose that most boards of similar age. One old bloke down at Curly said that it looked like one of the first production mals when they started to use foam blanks?? still ride it when the waves permitt, as it is very heavy - must say It goes really well when you get it on a decent wave with a little power and a nice wall.

Not sure of its vintage - late 50's ??

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:54 am

I can't quite match the pig boards but I do have a nice Ray Woosley (Rod Teys, shaper) from circa '67.
It's 8'6", wide tail, V bottom with a narrow, sharkfin skeg.
I reckon it was made just at the point when they started shaving the length of boards. If this was 9" longer at the back it would be a perfect example of the hot-doggers from '64 - '65.
I managed to buy it from a guy who had been transferred to Townsville back in the early Eighties. Still ride it occasionally (not as often as I should). Got a few dings over the years but I've kept it water tight.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:59 pm

Lizard King is your board a roundtail?
Mines got a huge roundtail, pretty well dead straight boxy rails and a relatively tucked in nose. Haven't ridden it in years but it used to surf pretty good if you didn't want to change direction too often :roll:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:14 pm

i have a 1970 pidedream single fin in good condition i still use now again :idea:

i love old boards......but collectors have priced them well out my range :cry:

ands it double sad cause i want surf em.....not hang on a wall :evil:

people who buy good boards for a investment = wankers :x

bood
Grommet

Post by bood » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:18 pm

not many fifty year old boards around at the moment. in fifty years time however, will there be 3 million 50 year old epoxys

bood
Grommet

Post by bood » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:18 pm

not many fifty year old boards around at the moment. in fifty years time however, will there be 3 million 50 year old epoxys

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:34 pm

Got a balsa board that was brought out by a Yank lifeguard who was competing in the 1956 Olymics. Its made up of four planks of balsa laid up and the nose lift is made by taking a slice out from the nose to about 18 inches back and then sandwiched the deck to the bottom.
I've surfed it in lots of waves on the Goldy - but had some great waves at Greenmount over the years. It does need a wall to get it going, but have had some truly great waves on it.
I bought it off a German guy in Sydney for $20 in 1979 - he wasn't a surfer, but a mad collector of anything - especially VWs.

legge
Grommet

Post by legge » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:29 pm

i'm learning on a 6'10 Goodtime single fin pintail surfboard at the moment. It must be at least 30 years old. It goes really fast and has quite afew dings that i've had to patch up recently. My dad bought it off a mate and my uncle learnt on it and now i've got it.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:57 pm

hey mate, are you certain its stringerless? or does it have a really disgusting deep pigment that covers the stringer?

nevertheless they are seedy boards that take alot of skill to ride properly with style and flow.

i owned a late 50's Balsa pig which i happily exchanged for a nicer mid 60s Garry Birdsall D fin- off the late John Payne

lizard king
Grommet

Post by lizard king » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi Beanpole,

It has gota slightly rounded tail, squaring off a bit right at the back,
huge chunky rails, wider at the base and it gets a little more narrow at it approaches the nose. There is no nose lift or rocker of any sort - but man its great to get it out every now and then - don't like to bring it out in summer as I am sure that it would collect and damage both boards and people in crowded conditions :)

timax

Post by timax » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:02 pm

My NEWEST board is a 9'3" Bob Brown custom triple stringer from the 70's.
Very cool looking single fin. Would actually like to sell it and put the money toward a Dain Thomas creation.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:12 pm

Longygrom wrote: hey mate, are you certain its stringerless? or does it have a really disgusting deep pigment that covers the stringer?

nevertheless they are seedy boards that take alot of skill to ride properly with style and flow.
Certain considering its standing in my board room i.e. under the polycarb awning in the lightwell with the fin off and the nose half rebuilt with space invader :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and car bog. The base off the fin sits on a big wooden block but theres no stringer. The rails actually feature a lip halfway down the side and the decks lifting. I saw a picture a few years ago on some site that showed some old board comp and an identical old beat up model with a manly board license sticker on the fin.

I haven't ridden it in about 8 years but it used to go alright on a wave once it got up momentum. The boxy rails made it go better than youd think but a 23" roundtail with a D fin only turns from one place and thats right on the tail usually with both feet together.

As for style and flow :wink:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:39 pm

The old guy around the corner with the vintage toothpick kills my pigboard big time.