MR twinnies

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

sean--
barnacle

MR twinnies

Post by sean-- » Thu May 03, 2007 12:08 pm

Anyone got an MR twinnie :?: I had a few back in the early 80s. Saw a couple in a shop in QLD that rekindled my interest. Lively board with volume. Probably a better option for me than a traditional fish. Nicely made and finished with MR shaping the customs but a little pricey.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri May 04, 2007 12:55 pm

Go for it dude.
I learnt to surf on an MR twinnie and on my 40th birthday a couple of years ago I took it out. Yellow, heavy but surfed like a skateboard on an ice rink! (in a good way)
That lit a fire and I have since got a new 1980 retro model. I love it when its sub 3ft (no good over 6 foot). Paddle power, fast and loose as. Sketchy as ever on the backhand. Makes the thruster feel like it has a brick in the tail.
I have never ridden a true 'fish' so cant compare.
And yeah, they are pricey in shops in Sydney I think I've seen them for 900 plus.
Hit the road my friend. Go to Hunter St Newcastle to Mark's shop. They sell for standard prices there (or $100 more for the full retro spray...). And on any given Saturday morning you may find the great man himself behind the counter to sell you a board.
Food for thought eh. Do you think Slater will be manning his own surf shop in his home town in 20 years time.
Its true. MR is superman. :P

glider
Grommet

Post by glider » Fri May 04, 2007 2:19 pm

Search youtube for Chis Ward on the MR twinnie (super-twin, i think the model is). So cool

hamish
regular

MR twinnies

Post by hamish » Fri May 04, 2007 3:26 pm

The most recent Surfers Journal has a great interview with MR by Andrew Kidman. He talks a bit about how pleasantly surprised he's been by the revival of interest in the twinnies and how much fun they are to ride. Hey 100th post!

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri May 04, 2007 5:57 pm

I had 5'10" and a 5'8" MR twinnies back in 80-81 and remembered how much fun they were. I used to work up at Newy on the dredges and workboats then and I'd bought them from his fathers shop that MR still has today with a shaping bay out back. The boards were shaped by Mark Plater but it would be good to get one off the man himself. I saw a couple in a quiksliver shop in Surfers a few weeks back. My young bloke couldnt understand what all the fuss was about as I was checking it out. He probably thought it looked outdated. It was a retro model that looked the same as what I had. Theres not much chance of me going to a 5'10" it will be more like a 6'8". I havent ridden a traditional fish which was what I was thinking of getting but I've heard they can be a bit tricky to ride so I'll go with what I know.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri May 04, 2007 6:04 pm

I'm 80 kg and ride a 6'4 shortboard.
I bought a 6'6 twinny. I think if I had my time again I would go shorter like a 6'2: as I'm mainly using it in the small stuff.
But I repeat:
GO FOR IT!!!!!!

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri May 04, 2007 8:34 pm

I'm 95kg so I'll need the length / volume . I'll be riding it in around 3 foot waves. I'm definately leaning toward getting one though. They might even have one on the rack hopefully.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri May 04, 2007 10:11 pm

I think Maddog does most of his stock boards. He does a good big guy thruster too.

fong

Re: MR twinnies

Post by fong » Sat May 05, 2007 7:04 pm

hamish wrote:The most recent Surfers Journal has a great interview with MR by Andrew Kidman. He talks a bit about how pleasantly surprised he's been by the revival of interest in the twinnies and how much fun they are to ride. Hey 100th post!
congrats :roll:

:lol: :lol: :wink:

i heard abit about the surfer journal :idea:

never seen it on the shelf of a newsagaent thu :?

worth a subscription :?: { i'm over koby weekly....alais tracks :cry: }

p.s on topic...i strongly don't like twinnys...thu i see mr shapes a awesome single :idea:

p.p.s.....teacher dude.....i feel a ebay mission coming on....do u want prime condtion or something surfable :?: :idea:

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Sat May 05, 2007 7:14 pm

i have 3 MR twinnies from years ago.

6'2" , 6'4" and a 6'6". they go really well. nice and loose and fast in the right waves. i love riding them.

mine are worth more than $2000 each when i brought em in to MR's shop to have em valued. that was about 4 years ago now.

i also have a few old MR thrusters with the channel bottoms. which are worth a few bucks too.

stuff shares, invest in surfboards!

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sat May 05, 2007 7:24 pm

fong wrote:
hamish wrote:The most recent Surfers Journal has a great interview with MR by Andrew Kidman. He talks a bit about how pleasantly surprised he's been by the revival of interest in the twinnies and how much fun they are to ride. Hey 100th post!
congrats :roll:

:lol: :lol: :wink:

i heard abit about the surfer journal :idea:

never seen it on the shelf of a newsagaent thu :?

worth a subscription :?: { i'm over koby weekly....alais tracks :cry: }

p.s on topic...i strongly don't like twinnys...thu i see mr shapes a awesome single :idea:

p.p.s.....teacher dude.....i feel a ebay mission coming on....do u want prime condtion or something surfable :?: :idea:
not a lot around on e bay for me as I'm usually looking for a board for the larger type. Anyway I'm not a teacher but a skipper / seafarer which is good so I work and play on the sea harrrrrrrrrr !
p.s loved twinnies back then and probably still will although I havent ridden one in over 20 years.

cambo
regular

Post by cambo » Sat May 05, 2007 8:02 pm

I'm about your weight and a twinny for me would be around the 6 ft mark. They are wide and thick and they paddle fine.

You should take a look at Jim Banks "fish" twinnies - he suggests riding them the same length as your height http://www.jimbanksurf.com/Surfboards/retro_range.htm.

"Back in the day" my Twin Fin was a 5ft 2in Farrelly - obviously I was a bit leaner in those days - I really loved that board for messing around in beach breaks and small stuff. It was pretty hairy if there was any power around.
Last edited by cambo on Tue May 22, 2007 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Sat May 05, 2007 8:10 pm

My first board was a 5'10" bennett twinnie.... wish I still had it now. Learning on a twin is interesting, to say the least!

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sun May 06, 2007 11:30 am

Freshie Boy wrote:i have 3 MR twinnies from years ago.

6'2" , 6'4" and a 6'6". they go really well. nice and loose and fast in the right waves. i love riding them.

mine are worth more than $2000 each when i brought em in to MR's shop to have em valued. that was about 4 years ago now.
Jesus why are they worth so much? People like me trying to relive past glories? On the wall in the board room (corporate that is)?.
Is my busted up old one worth 2 grand???
I should go to all my old mate's parents' places and start sneaking around under the house!!

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Sun May 06, 2007 2:36 pm

because they're in awesome condition, but the main reason why some of them are worth good $$$ is because they were shaped by Bob Margetts for MR. i'll try and sort some pictures out for everyone.

hamish
regular

MR twinnies

Post by hamish » Sun May 06, 2007 3:00 pm

fong the surfers journal is pricey but the subscription is worth every penny. it sells in places like borders for 30 bucks a pop. it arrives really quickly after publication and in good nick.
interesting that jim banks reckons his fish should be ridden same as your height. I'm 6'5 and have ridden fish that size which don't seem to work as well as the 5'11s i'm on now.

fong

Post by fong » Sun May 06, 2007 7:06 pm

hamish wrote:fong the surfers journal is pricey but the subscription is worth every penny. .
thanks bloke :lol: ...mothers days coming up and she deserves a $$$$ present :roll:

shes just getting over the new boat trailer she got 4 her birthday ( try wrapping that :shock: )....i'm so thoughfull...shes so spolit :roll: :lol:

i don't recken fish designs function over 6' ....thats kinda the beauty of them :idea:

u can surf a really small board in semi decent size surf :?:

p.s btw singles are looser than twinnys :shock: and a far better board to boot :lol: :wink:

p.p.s /edit :arrow: sold....http://www.surfersjournal.com/Subscribe.html
The Facts
Thanks to you, The Surfer's Journal as a READER SUPPORTED publication is working! Being reader supported allows us more pages (and freedom from massive advertsing constraints) to grow an editorial content that reaches beyond the mundane, to intelligently probe the peripheries of surfing and still deliver the main course.

The Surfer's Journal is published six times a year. Cover price: $12.95, basic subscription price: 1 year (6 issues) $56 USD, format 9” X 11”, square bound soft cover, full color, 132 pages (with just 6 ads), covering wave-riding sport and culture from the perspective of an experienced, hard-core surfer. Available by subscription and at selected surf shops and bookstores (not at general newstands).
Last edited by fong on Sun May 06, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sun May 06, 2007 8:18 pm

hamish wrote:fong the surfers journal is pricey but the subscription is worth every penny. it sells in places like borders for 30 bucks a pop. it arrives really quickly after publication and in good nick.
interesting that jim banks reckons his fish should be ridden same as your height. I'm 6'5 and have ridden fish that size which don't seem to work as well as the 5'11s i'm on now.
What about the Banks glider fish :?: on the website he reckons they ought to be ridden 4-8 inches taller than the rider and 1/4 inch thicker. Looking at the photo it looks like a pretty standard keel fish.