Mctavish Fireball

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:39 am

seriolaholic wrote:I ride a surftech mctavish mal. I invested the extra cash (hard-earned) since I find that I spent more repairing dings on glass boards than the difference in the price of the surftech board. Owning a mal in a small apartment is a quick recipe for dings! I love the board and would'nt buy anything other than surftech again. Mine is a stylist, I am sure the fireball is excellent as well, if you can get it in surftech even better. The stigma thing is a total wank in and of itself - the people that rant on about this stigma only do so because they are the guys that secretly desire to be the wanker with the BMW.... McTavish make good boards buy what ever brand you think works best for you!
BBBAAAHAhahahahaahahahahahaaaaa.... sure sure...

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:07 pm

Nice way to do your first post seriolaholic, by calling most of the guys on the forum (well of who post regulary and know about the stigma attatched to the Mac T's) WANKERS.

Nothing personal against any Surftech or MacT riders, i was just expressing what the case on the northern beaches is.

They are a good progressing board for the average Longboarder who wants to just SURF in no desired style.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:50 am

Longygrom: think I'm gonna get Sean to do me a Knost styled noserider shape for my next board, now dat I'm riding shorties I'm willing to go the whole-hog and get a straight out noserider, instead of the all-rounder/noseriders that I been riding up till now. They aren't as wide in the nose as my old boards and the hips of the board seem further back.

PS: Hows the ankle coming along?

bondi
regular

Re

Post by bondi » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:00 am

alex knost boards are insane - robert august was shaping them but now he's moved shaper....

be careful who you get to shape it - i could only suggest south coast longboards or dain thomas for that board you are after

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:11 am

its gonna be Sean Wilde.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:12 pm

This thread s starting to morph a bit. But I'm of the opinion that a good noserider does not need to have a 18 or 19 inch nose. I have said this before. What is at the tail of the board is more important that what is up at the nose. Look at all the old 60's boards. 16" noses, wide point behind the middle and hips. All the old boards with this criteria that I have surfed have been good nose riders. They may not handle the bigger waves. But the bigger the surf gets the less time is spent on the nose. For me anyway.
platty.

Longygrom
barnacle

Re: Re

Post by Longygrom » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:34 pm

bondi wrote:alex knost boards are insane - robert august was shaping them but now he's moved shaper....

be careful who you get to shape it - i could only suggest south coast longboards or dain thomas for that board you are after
Sean has got them down no worries! I dont think anyone, apart from robert august is doing em. This is a very cool board, especially the fin.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:52 am

Sean Wilde shaped for Robert August and one stage, and then came to Oz.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:33 am

Morgan The Moon wrote:Sean Wilde shaped for Robert August and one stage, and then came to Oz.
yep he used to make RA's under license over here. you can see the influence in his boards, and they go so damned good!!

bondi
regular

re

Post by bondi » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:58 pm

internet searches do wonders....

)

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:27 pm

WANDERER wrote:
Morgan The Moon wrote:Sean Wilde shaped for Robert August and one stage, and then came to Oz.
yep he used to make RA's under license over here. you can see the influence in his boards, and they go so damned good!!
I still goy my white with blue paint job robert august, with swallow tail and chimed rails , still sweet as .... probably over 6 years old now , even more

troy

pagoda
Grommet

Post by pagoda » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:04 pm

theres not many waves in Sydney to noseride, mostly quick little close outs ... so why wouldn't you go for a bit of rocker and surf off the backfoot ??

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:18 pm

pagoda wrote:theres not many waves in Sydney to noseride, mostly quick little close outs ... so why wouldn't you go for a bit of rocker and surf off the backfoot ??
Just gotta look for 'em - leave the peaky beach breaks to the frothing Sydney masses, and look for that break that everyone else ignores, just peeling along quietly in the corner, not much fun on a shortboard but on a mal........ :P

...or just ride a shortboard.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:30 pm

pagoda wrote:theres not many waves in Sydney to noseride, mostly quick little close outs ... so why wouldn't you go for a bit of rocker and surf off the backfoot ??
thats why i re-learned how to ride a shortboard, mals really aren't very good at hi-performance surfing, but each to his own.

I agree with MTM on dis one, theres plenty of good nose riding to be had in sydney, i think your wholesale comment about sydneys "quick little closeouts" is a little bit off the mark... Longy, Freshie and the manly stretch can and do have long walling rides on a regular basis, and I'm sure the breaks further to the north could boast the same thing.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:01 pm

I always had the impression from his ads that B McT designed fireballs specifically for beachbreak surfing. That partly explains why they have been so ridiculously popular. How many do you reckon he must have sold by now :roll: ?
Raymond Gleave used to have his own model with McTavish but I always wondered how much he got for his endorsement. Whatever it was it should have been more. He was in a lot of ads.
He's got his own label now shaped by Paul Hutchinson I think. Could be an option if you wanted a noserider.
I haven't ever really been motivated to buy a McTavish Fireball though.

As far as surftech boards go, they don't ding much at all but they will snap under pressure and then you are looking at big bills if you have to pay :shock: .

plan b
regular

Post by plan b » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:59 am

ive got a surftech mcT 'original', its a performance mal, and really rides different to an old single fin log, which makes it better for faster waves. riding this board on a true mal wave, like crescent head, its just too light.

not enough inertia.

on the flip side, in bigger surf, like SE bower on the low tide, im glad im not riding a log.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:15 pm

Yeah, I'd be pretty sure that the guy who was at the epicentre of the shortboard revolution, invented the v bottom and has managed to survive as a "name" in the shaping biz for 40 or more years makes shit boards. Obviously if people with oodles of money buy them they're bad!

Beyond that I have nothing to add except this; if a person is in a position they need to ask on an internet forum about a well known board they probably aren't the sort of person who is likely to be looking for a heavy glassed retro single fin nose posing special. And a fireball or other allrounder may well be a good pick.

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:55 pm

buzzy wrote:Yeah, I'd be pretty sure that the guy who was at the epicentre of the shortboard revolution, invented the v bottom and has managed to survive as a "name" in the shaping biz for 40 or more years makes shit boards. Obviously if people with oodles of money buy them they're bad!

Beyond that I have nothing to add except this; if a person is in a position they need to ask on an internet forum about a well known board they probably aren't the sort of person who is likely to be looking for a heavy glassed retro single fin nose posing special. And a fireball or other allrounder may well be a good pick.
And i think a lot of our advise here would be save some bucks and have a chat to some local mal shapers and get something that is a bit custom made to you ... BTW , who started this thread and have you go tyour answer yet ....