Which Fin?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

fifty seven

Which Fin?

Post by fifty seven » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:33 pm

I have been doing the rounds, looking at different fins to try out. I have a 9'4" Retro from Mark Rabbidge, which is a more trad board than performance. It came with a Fluid Foils 9" single fin. There are obviously all sorts of fins out there.

I am wondering who has had what sort of experience? For instance, the 'turbo', Pig's Ear, Chopper, any of the Wingnut fins, my personal favourite name ' Big Daddy'. Of course i know it depends on what you want to do, ie: nose ride etc...

fifty seven

wow!

Post by fifty seven » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:25 am

And i thought everyone loves to have an opinion, how disappointing.

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:54 am

I have a turbo tunnel on my 9'2 single fin.Heaps better for nose riding , turning & general speed.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:05 am

nice topic, sorry its taken me a while to get back to you. This is the sort of thing that I love to do after a couple of days off when there is a bit of swell running and you have a longish wave at your disposal to really get a feel for things. I've tried most of the F/foils range as well as few others and here are my thoughts:

Chopper - great on any board until the surf gets to 3ft. Probably too much surface area at that point which could be creating lift ( at least thats what it feels like) Definitely prefers rounder rails alonside it.

Hatchet: Ditto but can go to 6ft and doesn't mind harder rails. Probably my single fin favourite.

Dophin: a classic that seems to go better the smaller the fin you use. had great success with a 5" centre + redex side fins on a modern board recently. Probably the best all-round set up I've ever had.

Never used the turbo although it looks interesting

Tried a few dolphin -type shapes from SOAR fins - nice but nothing revolutionary. Classics.

Have a new board coming any day which will have the redex 5 fin bonzer set-up. Obviously a campbell bros custom would be great but this should be retty indicative of how this set-up works. I think the Bros were involved in the redex development.

Fr your board, I would definitely try the chopper + and hatchet.

let us know how it goes.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Don't snigger.....

Post by Morgan The Moon » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:08 pm

Anyone tried the Keel Fin?

fifty seven

the hatchet

Post by fifty seven » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:15 am

hey kid,

thanks for the feedback it certainly helps - it can be all about the research sometimes.

Q. where does the hatchet come from, i have tried the Fluid site, and they have the chopper, but no mention of the hatchet.

I know you can loan the turbo from bennets so might give that a go at some point without outlaying the cash to find it doesn't live up to the hype.