review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

giba-giga

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by giba-giga » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:57 pm

WOW! Congrats Kookster,the Powerball looks a beautiful shape. Really looking forward to the ride report....
Love to know how quick and snappy it is, I would imagine being so short it will go well. I found McCoy's slow and predictable through snaps and turns but that was pre Zot when Geoff advised everyone to get a 6'6 :!:

It looks like my Sweet P but with rocker......they could compliment eachother. I reckon the Powerball will fly on a 3-4ft East Coast point wave :twisted:
“If you count your chickens before they've hatched, they won't lay an egg.”

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:32 pm

attention morgan,

i've replied to your PM....its showing as in my outbox.....so i dont think its gone.....that mail programme doesn't allways co-operate quickly

itll get there...or get outa my puta soon i hope...SW

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:24 pm

surfywurfy wrote:attention morgan,

i've replied to your PM....its showing as in my outbox.....so i dont think its gone.....that mail programme doesn't allways co-operate quickly

itll get there...or get outa my puta soon i hope...SW
surfywurfy, the pm stays showing in your outbox until the adressee downloads it. That's how you know it's been received.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:44 pm

thanks Trev...its good to learn something every day :!:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:23 pm

and when the addressee downloads it, it'll be "real gone, surferboy"

:wink: :oops:
Sorry.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:55 pm

I took my old (c2005) 6'6" single fin nugget for a spin last Saturday. I expected no swell and there was a good 2 and pushing 3 foot wave hitting Maroubra. My first few waves it really took me a few waves to readjust. I found on one enthusiastic bottom turn the board lost traction, which I put down to being too front footed. I consciously stomped on the back foot thereafter and it went pretty well. Not the same drive out of turns as a thruster but probably looser. I really noticed all the extra foam. On a smaller day (1-2 foot) this extra foam would have been ideal. I noticed the board was great positionally (it loves to sit right in the power source), and I still prefer it backhand to forehand.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:15 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/mccoy-surfbo ... 4aadc926b2

what's wrong with this picture ? (not the literal picture, although even that is pretty weird....)
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:31 pm

shameless.
sad thing is they'll probably find someone to pay that.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:47 am

i know right? $950 for a board that is two years old? Walk down the rd to Geoff's and get a new one for $50 more?
Maybe the board is 'special'....?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Beautiful add though ...

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Did you get your all rounder yet????
If so what do you think?
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Bit of a thread steal, but I'll bring it back on track....

I placed the order with the aim to pick it up in September.

It's been shaped and it's at the glassers.

I'm aiming to drive up to Burleigh on a Thursday night / Friday and drive back to the Central Coast by Monday morning. Stopping at a few spots along the way.

I've been lucky enough to borrow a PU 9 ft all rounder (DVS), and I liked it :D

Since we're in a McCoy review, I'll say that with all the concaves and hard edges I found the All rounder a very different beast to paddle than the hulls of a McCoy. It put me off at first - then I glided into that first wave and fell head over heels (again). It was a small day, about waist high but peeling nicely with a little bowly edge to play with. At 9ft it didn't feel like a longboard.

I'm figuring the 8ft epoxy will probably have better glide than the PU, be more responsive and much more manoeuverable.

So, yeah, I'm keen. Just need some cash .....

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:52 pm

Great to hear. Never, I repeat never, should have sold mine. Somebody slap me. :cry:
Rode a Firewire Addvance 7'6" at busy, busy Noosa yesterday and was thinking how much I missed the Carbon 8'er.
Kookster, how's that Powerball going?
Sold it off yet? :lol:

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi guys, not much to report on the Powerball yet, I seem to keep missing good days and then get free of life in time to surf shite. (I didn't even bother with Noosa on this last swell, the crowds are just insane.) As usual with a new board the first couple of surfs were great, then I went through a patch where I just couldn't surf the thing for love nor money, but the last surf I had in clean 1ft closeouts was a ripper, even got a nice closeout barrel and I think if I was more on the ball I may have been able to try my first ever 360, but I've seriously had no more than 8 surfs on it. Once I'm up and away I'm liking the turns, but foot placement is so critical it's a joke, so got to fine-tune that some more.
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 am

Hi guys - have just waded through the last 16 pages, great info!
I'm looking for a small wave board that will basically save me from buying a Mal (for a number of reasons). So am I correct in understanding that the McCoys are probably not really suited as a micro/small wave board, despite their larger dimensions?

Quite simply - I'd like to build simple a 2 board quiver, and have a 6'6" MIller V-Skate which is great when it gets around shoulder/head height. I'm now looking for a board that will cover the lower end from fat mushy ankle height stuff through to chest high.
I'm not a super-vertical type of surfer, and am happy to ride something that has some speed & glide.

Looking purely at dimensions, something like a 6'6" Zot looks like it will fit the bill. But in reading some posts there seems to be that they really arent that suited to grovelling in little stuff?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:08 am

Usual disclaimers: Depends on your height, weight, how much you drive with the back foot etc.

In my opinion, the domed bottom becomes more responsive and interesting the bigger the wave. In really small waves it can feel sluggish, I'd tend to go towards a board with less nose rocker and a flatter bottom. i.e. a mal or something similar...but in those sorts of waves I wouldn't be turning much at all.

That said, with that much foam in the tail, you'll be buoyant. And it'll turn better than you expect.

I rode a McCoy semigun in knee-chest high waves with decent shape and it was great.
The nugget seemed to need (and want) to stay in the pocket more.
Both were way too big for me.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:08 pm

McCoys because of their volume are better small wave boards than a conventional thruster but yes, the loaded dome prefers a bit of curve to the wave to get it going. Don't let Grant know you're looking at a McCoy in preference to him though - he wouldn't say anything but he'd screw up in his face in upset!

Incidentally, I reckon a shortened Miller Powerglide without the concave lip in the nose would make an excellent small, fat, flat wave board. Flat rocker, foam and lots of width would make it fly.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:52 pm

alakaboo wrote:Usual disclaimers: Depends on your height, weight, how much you drive with the back foot etc.

In my opinion, the domed bottom becomes more responsive and interesting the bigger the wave. In really small waves it can feel sluggish, I'd tend to go towards a board with less nose rocker and a flatter bottom. i.e. a mal or something similar...but in those sorts of waves I wouldn't be turning much at all.

That said, with that much foam in the tail, you'll be buoyant. And it'll turn better than you expect.

I rode a McCoy semigun in knee-chest high waves with decent shape and it was great.
The nugget seemed to need (and want) to stay in the pocket more.
Both were way too big for me.

IMHO I think its a combination of elements that make the McCoys better in decent waves and that involves thickness and the accompanying stiffness this involves coupled with weight and heavier glass jobs which slow down responsiveness.
Then you've got a bottom shape with convex curves to gain neutrality in its ride characteristics.
Plenty of rocker which is going to allow one to make steeper drops but not really necessary on a small wave board and cuts down on planing area.
The wide tail is surely good for planing but have a look around and you'll see there's actually plenty of other shapers doing wide tailed boards combined with wide noses with low rocker which use lighter blanks glassed in epoxy and bingo you've got a small wave rocket which is responsive.