Brendan Newton

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:00 pm

yeh its amazing eh. how old r u? sounds like youve been surfin there for years. still plenty of area down there where noone goes tho! i remember back in the day @ a certain town when if there were 2 crews from outta town then it was busy haha

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local
Location: any of the heavy NSW reefs, depends where the swell hits. shark island/southern reefs mostly

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:38 pm

soon to be 31. yeah wouldnt happen to be a town starting with a x, ending in 5 would it? never used to busy down there until the past 3-4 years. i used to winder where all the locals were when i went there. never surfed with another soul around there in ten years till the last couple of years. it was like a time warp!
Last edited by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rex
regular

Post by rex » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:37 pm

hey Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 how far down south u normally go? u been to congo or broulee?

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local
Location: any of the heavy NSW reefs, depends where the swell hits. shark island/southern reefs mostly

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:10 pm

rex wrote:hey Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 how far down south u normally go? u been to congo or broulee?
ive been to most of the coast all the way to mallacoota which is the 1st town south of the vic boarder as a kid with my dad and grandad while they operated an abalone licence, but the furthest ive surfed south is marouya. broulee ive sussed but not surfed yet. congo ive havnt sussed for waves. what about you?
pm me, dont public post about this topic.
thanks.

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:35 pm

kiama? haha not sure about that. sick place tho! locals are all sick. most of em surf pretty amazing, as u would expect!!

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:42 pm

NOT **, haha . a town central to most of the waves you see on most bodyboarding vids that have come out in the last few years.
Last edited by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:41 am

if you've been going south for that long you must be pretty pissed off about the huge crowds that have really only started hitting the area in the last 3 years or so.
back then a few guys even paddled out to a now famous Bommie, when it was unheard of surfing it. Now its crowded as fuck, though now i ride a stick i dont froth on the shallow death slabs of the area like I used to.

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:45 am

i reakon anyone whos been surfin down south b4 the crowds hit at certain spots would have to be pretty bitter n twisted not to be over it by now. its an issue that sucks if ur a local or ur a blowin whos been milkin spots 4 yrs but bugger it eh, just means it gives u a reason 2 get off ya fat ass n go find solitude and heavier slabs!

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:44 pm

true that, nothing beats finding new waves and surfing them for the first time, discovering what type of conditions that make them fire.

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:23 pm

yeah its anoying to turn up to a place that used to be empty or localised with a few friendly guys in the water, its killed the vibe down there big time. but there are still a few places in the area that require a long walk, that are very fickle, and im yet to see a crowd there yet. i dont mind walking there either, and ive only ever sufed it with my mates. it will never get crowded there. i never sussed the "famous bommie" as i never saw it look any good. knew what conditions it needed but never bothered with it.
Last edited by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jay spence
regular

Post by jay spence » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:46 pm

Shhh. No good waves down there. It's an over-rated hoax of an area. No towns starting with 'K'. A couple of fickle, inconsistent semi-hollow novelty waves, that's it. Stay in Sydney, I do. Sydney pumps!

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:05 pm

haha true true.... but my thoughts are that.. anyone that doesnt know about the sth coast already is either a) not born yet or b) a complete kook who will get burnt no matter where they surf anyway.

do u guys reakon the bb pop. is growin exponentially in oz? to me it doesnt look like it is. i mean there are defin more numbers than awhile ago but its not increasing at a ridiculous rate. n there are that many spots that crowds will be spread out n even drawn to particular 'hot spots' that r gettin coverage at the time - meaning even less ppl at other good spots that get less attention.

complete rambling bullshit rant? i think so haha

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:46 pm

the bodyboarding media in general have promoted the south coast as "the place to be" where all the pro's surf. which may or may not have contributed

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:28 pm

^^^its the only reason for the crowds! shit , sorry jay! i forgot about the shifty knowledge chasers on here. quick edit before i copped abuse from the enforcers on here for having both my feet in my mouth...

but i may as well lgive it away, "K" for Killanumble bay. :) not realy a town, more of a place where there are a few shacks with generators and ceptic tanks...

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:56 pm

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 wrote:^^^its the only reason for the crowds! shit , sorry jay! i forgot about the shifty knowledge chasers on here. quick edit before i copped abuse from the enforcers on here for having both my feet in my mouth...

but i may as well lgive it away, "K" for Killanumble bay. :) not realy a town, more of a place where there are a few shacks with generators and ceptic tanks...
Septic :lol:
Only stirring.

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:14 pm

yeah i know. i dont relly know how to type so i fk up all the time. :lol:

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:27 pm

dont really think the bb population is growing, its just that they centre themselves around a small number of reefbreaks. Surfers can have a fun surf in a huge variety of waves, one of the reasons I ditched the lid for a stick, but boogers really just chase heavy slabs and barrels. thats the way it should be too. Unless your getting barrelled on a boogie, then its just not worth it I reckon, shit....I miss getting barrelled every surf... still would never go back but for the roundest hollowest barrells

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:16 am

i dont even know what i chase these days?? haha i guess it would have to be a mix of bowls n barrels. im not into ledge surfs where its just slabbing tubes, get over it pretty quick. (unless of course its lunas at 10ft. but then again i wouldnt be out there haha)

i dont know about u guys but id prefer a beachie at 4-6ft with real wedgy, peaky banks going nice n hollow and all that jazz than surf a reefy the same size. beachies have so much more variation n altho the duckdivin aspect gets annoyin some surfs but it feels so much more rewarding after hours of sandy pits i reakon.