Brendan Newton

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:38 am

im just gunna put this out there and say that ur an absolute douchebag jimi.

brendo is a rad guy n surfs amazing. whatever drives him to such extremes i think is a good thing. and if his belief in god keeps him happy and continues to push the boundaries of what we believe to be possible then why would we be against it?

we dont have to like his beliefs or opinions but i think we should still respect them. going out and saying..
believing that he is making you safe when surfing life threatening waves, is a spit in the face of other religious people who prayed to be looked after, only to have their daughter raped and murdered, or loose a job, become homeless and forgotten.
is a joke!! u sound like a bitter old nam veteran whos had all his legs n arms blown off by an asian called god with a hand grenade.

not saying i believe in god, but just because some people do and they think he's god their back when theyre in insane circumstances - isnt a reason to burn them at the stake 4 it. ive meet him a fair bit in the surf around syd n douth and hes the nicest, easy goin guy youll ever meet. ive never met u mate but im sure you're better at everything than he is and dont need god to believe in to make u cool.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:35 pm

i never attacked him as a person, i know people who are mates with him and i know he is a great guy/ nice person.

thats not my issue with it, if it makes him happy and a better person, then great, but i stand by the fact that its a spit in the face of thousands of other people who have suffered more than any of us will ever know

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:35 am

so are u sayin that because hes prayin 4 waves and that kind of thing - it seems ridiculous in comparison to prayin for the most brutal acts on earth to stop?

i can see where ur comin from but it seems a bit extreme.. ppl pray 4 all sorts of small stuff everyday and do u think that everyone praying to god 4 things that dont rate highly on your prayer-worthy meter are spitting in the face of those who really need help?

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:19 am

its not the fact that he prayed for waves, your right, people pray for all sorts of things all the time, which is fine if that gives you some peace. its the fact that he really believes that 'God' heard his prayers and especially answered them, delivering him the waves he was asking for, and even put the Bommie there for him to find that day. I dont get how people can think such trivial prayers were answered, when other life and death situation prayers are ignored. And its always expained by saying 'God' has some divine plan for everything, so it is all His will. If god is real and that is how he works, then I would never want to 'know' that God. Its a cruel and horrible God.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:59 am

sunny wrote:so are u sayin that because hes prayin 4 waves and that kind of thing - it seems ridiculous in comparison to prayin for the most brutal acts on earth to stop?
Yes, we are outrages because he is using gods powers and wasting his time on things like waves instead of huge acts of mother nature...

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:51 am

you copy me

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :D :D

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:50 pm

orlly?
wanto wrote:Image

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:10 pm

yep, then i got it off your photobucket and posted it before you did :lol: but you still copied me

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:02 pm

hahaha i like it!

fair enough, and i definitely dont agree with how much god bothering there is in the dvd. to me it feels like its almost like a cool thing right now in the bb community. kind of like a fashion thatll wear out once everyone realises its not cool anymore... haha bloody lameo. not sayin im a christian or anythin, i just think its **** how it looks like ppl are treatin it like a trend...

n ur right about it being overboard how he prayed 4 the wave n he thought god put that wave there 4 him. my apologies if i arched up about it - just think he's was a good bloke n what he was saying wasnt bad enough to get his testicles burnt off for haha

GETUP KID
Grommet

Post by GETUP KID » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:58 pm

markkkkk wrote:he charges but has ceedy style. i meet him once thought he was a good guy till he starts exposing all these waves on the south coast cough cough. hell cope some shit next time hes down their dw. burt yeah i give him it he **** goes biggggggggggggg
What do you mean "next time hes down the coast" He lives on the south coast???? Yeah funny little pixy i reckon good value

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:40 am

Andrew Denton did a really interesting docco of religious extremism in America's South too, pretty scary stuff!

Rosco_Babaresco

Post by Rosco_Babaresco » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:20 pm

if you dont like how much he talks about god just turn your telly sound down and put some music on that you like...
As for this praying for waves crap, i dont agree that its a spit in the face of all these other people that are and have suffered throughout world history, but if you were going to sit down and pray for the world to be a perfect place then you would be a pretty big dickhead.. If he reckons god makes him charge harder and puts waves there for him to surf, let him think that, as someone else said he has exposed a fair few previously 'secret' spots both on the south coast and around the world, but let him do whatever he wants that allows him to keep charging waves. If thats where he thinks he gets the courage and strenght to surf these wave then let him believe because I for one will never complain when new mags and vids come out with ever heavier and more nasty waves that these guys ride.
As you can tell i have no great belief in God as an all powerful thing that controls the world and everything in it, because that would be one very fucked up God. If he does control the world than hes done a pretty shit job and none of my prayers as a young kid were answered and im sure there are billions of others around the world that will agree with that last statement...

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:25 pm

agreeed on all fronts except for...
he has exposed a fair few previously 'secret' spots both on the south coast and around the world
someone said that b4 too... i disagree. i dont hold brendo responsible 4 any 'exposing' of spots down there. if a spots heavy and looks amazing ie cobra, and uve got someone willing to surf it big n heavy then it cant stay secret 4 long. theres a demand for amazing photos and theyre pro's - they make their money off it. guess im stating the obvious but im just sayin that u can blame 1 person 4 exposing the spot unless theyre pretty extreme about it.

all someone whos relatively high up in the bb food chain needs to do is tell one of their mates and itll spread like fire. everyone is so linked in the community, it doesnt take long for things to get out of hand!

and without naming names i cant think of 1 spot that brendo has himself put on the map down the coast (cept for kiama but that waves a joke anyway). sure he surfs alot of em but so does everyone!

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local
Location: any of the heavy NSW reefs, depends where the swell hits. shark island/southern reefs mostly

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:49 pm

^^^^^ a certain reef, that shall remain namedless and misplaced. ive never seen any pics of it till recently, ive seen 3 pics of it ever, one was a pic taken by brendo, and the other 2 where pics featuring brendo taken by a well known photog that brendo called up and said "mate, you have to get here and document this place, it amazing". that was the caption one of the pics.

if youve seen the mag then youll know what im talking about. case closed.

Eggberty

Post by Eggberty » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:58 pm

whoever wrote that obvioulsy doesnt know the first thing about chrisitanity

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:02 pm

hair enough. might have to scour around n suss it out!! not too many spots i dont know about douth. u go down there much?

Bodyboarder-sicne-1989
Local
Location: any of the heavy NSW reefs, depends where the swell hits. shark island/southern reefs mostly

Post by Bodyboarder-sicne-1989 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:24 pm

yeah, i love south coast, i want to move there one day, love the bush on the coast and the isolation, which is quickly becoming harder to find down there unfortunately.