flippers

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: flippers

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:32 pm

purple pyramids wrote: what board did you get?

waiting on a Paipo board from huie
just body surfing for now :wink:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:55 pm

I like to muck around on a lid when its too crowded in summer and there is often a good wave in the flags. I used to buy Hydros out of loyalty but actually found my best ever pair was an old pair of Mantas I bought at Vinnies. Hlf the point has busted of each fin now which makes them go better as long as I put them on the right feet. Have an old manta lid which is also the best.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:32 pm

hey mate, ill answer your private message about flipper cuts here, as it might help someone else too.

first of all flippers cut your ankles to shreds, its just one of those things.
i know pro photographers who still get flipper cuts. (btw did you know nearly all of the best water shooters are ex pro boogers?, all of the photogs in the last cloudbreak big shoot were boogers, even though one apparently denied it to stay "cool" with his surfer buddies.)
these days there are many comfier brands of flippers out there.

i have found a way of making even the worst of flipper types comfy

but first ill explain why you get those cuts (volcanoes) on your toes.
you have to keep your toenails trim, as when they get long they etch away at the inside of the flipper and create these sharp bits.
these sharp ridges then rub against the tops of your toes creating sea ulcer volcano pain.

if you have sea ulcers, avoid wearing flippers for a while, or use elastoplast.

brb in an hour or so, baby bath time and got to clean fishing gear
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:43 pm

ankles are fine..for now :?

u sure the volcanos come from toe nails... :?:

i'm somewat ...ummm...ehhhh...i got a feet fetish ok

my nails are always trim and clean :wink:

do u wear booties?

as i said...i'm on pair 3....and still not happy :cry: can't keep buying flippers, there not cheap :oops:

i find them really uncomfy too...crampie if that makes any sense

do i have just take a teaspoon cement in my next drink :lol:

could u or someone else...just give me brief idea on how chose a flipper

sizing and function and stuff :?:

cheers
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:52 pm

sorry for the delay fongo, my little girl spent ages in the bath past her bedtime, so i let her, as long as my wife refilled my wine glass for me.
she loves the water, should have seen her today, no fear... how do you teach a baby to respect the ocean???

anyway um flippers
yeah well those cuts, clean all the bits of sand or shell out and use elastoplast tape over some padding, and keep the sand out.
now what you need is an old wetsuit that you can hack some pieces of neoprene from.

i used to get manta blades for next to nothing, but the would cut my ankles up, so i got some wetsuit and super glued a piece about an inch and a half by whatever goes all the way round onto the strap and ankle area of the flipper.
smoothie wetsuit is best, but normal will do.

but remember, when it eventually comes loose and falls off, that superglue will be sharp.
so when it comes off, come straight in. should last a year or two.

next get a piece of wetsuit say 2mm X 4-5cm X 10cm (guess) and superglue or other wise glue it above your toes inside the flippers.
that should be as comfey as a taylor made p#ssy.

um, just read your post as i was about to submit.
feel free to ask one of my mates on facefuck some advice if you need it.
garth runs a bodyboard shop here in newcastle and dez riuns emerald cronulla.
if you need some shop advice i can put you onto them.

gotto go, dinners ready

there are booties and a product called achileez which do a similar thing that you can buy, (never tried them) but you can do it yourself.

if you want me to do it for you, post the fins down to my place and ill do it aftter work.

touch wood, at the moment i have found a nice pair of fins (redley) that dont cut my feet, but they are a little too flexy, ie not much power.

theres other guys on this forum including one of australias first pro boogers, but he may wish to stay incognito.
if anyone has any better advice, please feel free.
cheers
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:51 am

Fong, if you're getting cramps it's probably because your flippers are cutting off blood flow.
The most common place is the top of the foot. I'm guessing you've got high arches or wide feet. I've got both and flippers aren't made for me.

Buy your flippers a size too big based on their size chart and get some wetsuit booties. Not the lycra ones, they just hold sand and don't do anything.
O&E used to make good ones (10 years ago).
If you can't find any thick enough, get your missus to make some from the sleeves of old wetties.
Don't get sand in them, or get it out as soon as it gets in. Put your fins on in the water, out the back if it isn't big. just attach flipper savers (bit of old wetsuit leg around your calf and a shoelace) and paddle out with your arms, then put them on.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:48 pm

ok...thanks...i'm going try gluing wesuit bits on, if that doesn't help i'll try your idea boo 8)