Anyone tried fins on a booger?

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

peter650

Re: Anyone tried fins on a booger?

Post by peter650 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:04 am

I think fins will slow you down.When you put them on plywood thats what happens.Thats why everybody who knows cuts it out shaped like a bell.The other thing is plywood is super fast in the surf.

peter650

Post by peter650 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:38 pm

How am i a troll TomTom?Gaurd was asking about fins.I posted that i have found they slow down plywood in the surf.How is that trolling?

peter650

Post by peter650 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:52 pm

Gaurd i was trying to give you good advice.I am 44years old lived in Hawaii for over 8years and have better things to do with my time than troll the net.Give a plywood board ago.What have you got to lose?I have rode some real sucky waves never had a drama with nose diving.Cheers Peter

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:05 pm

i once stuck finboxes into a morey orange slick bottom....total failure

they didn't glue in well and i kept losing them and it kinda screwed the whole board

my advice is if u want do it :arrow: get a boogie shaped for them

and don't write off a nice single fin directly under ya gut as adesign :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

peter650

Post by peter650 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Gday Dinosaur your 110% right about flex.Over the years i have played around with trying to build a board with some flex.They never worked as well as a stiff board.In Hawaii they are called paipo boards.Cheers Peter.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:33 am

Matt
Ask mark fordham, he has been trying some on his boards out the island for a few years now. these are long thin things down allong the rails
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

peter650

Post by peter650 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Gday Gaurd your about to have a whole heap of fun.You can go 3 main shapes 1bell shape this is the best shape for big surf.The reason why is that when you turn off the bottom the rail will dig in and act like a fin.2 the England shape its alot longer than a bodyboard but not very wide.This is the shape you use if you want to surf sub 1foot slop{more fun than it sounds}3 boogieboard shape.Works just like a boogieboard only alot faster.If you just want to get a feel for it.Grab any old bit of plywood you can find and hit the beach.Dont worry about people :lol: at you they wont be after you get a few waves.Failing that go to Mr plywood and get a 1/4 sheet of marine ply cut out your shape.Then go to a boat builder and get some marine sealer.Dont cut anything into the bottom of the board you want it flat.You dont need a leash if you wipeout theboard will pop up near you.The thing with them is they only just float so you going to do alot of swimming.You will find pics of them on the net if you google paipoboard.I have used cheap kmart skim boards before when my last bit of plywood fell apart.Dont worry about building a upturned nose you wont nose dive.Bet by the 3rd wave you are hooked.All the best with it.One other thing because they are so fast you can catch waves on reefs that you wouldnt want to try on another board.I have found afew real short sucky waves around central coast and Sydney that my son and i have all to ourselfs.I think thats the best thing about plywood boards you can have as many waves as you like to yourself.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:49 pm

dinosaur wrote:still no sense of humor i see marcus
yeah, i have a great sense of humour.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:29 am

I'm at work so most of the images etcs are blocked, but about 15 years ago when i started riding a booger, Manta had a board in it's "Ultimate" range (from memory) that, for the time, had all the bullshit on it for the time... quad channels and fins down the rails and maybe even small ones on the slick...
I just did a quick google search (google: "Manta Concept Bodyboard")
Seems there are a few links you might be able to get some info from.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:40 pm

boogers putting fins on and surfboards taken fins off, interesting times..I have plans for a board with booger rails and no fins...well maybe plugs so I have options....any booger riders out there gettin into finless standup surfing ??? seems an obvious choice coz you been going finless forever.... :?:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:08 am

ok, so when I send my finless traveller around, is there any willing bodyboarders who wanna try it out, am very interested to see how the skills cross-over, especially the guys who surf standing up as well as prone on their boogers ( and drop-knee ), think the transition to finless should or could be easier and would be keen to get a few to have a go...the latest board I have shaped has rails similar to a booger thru the tail, its a real hybrid of board designs......I may not be finished yet, still unsure if I am adding anything else to the tail shape....
this will be set up with plugs so it can be ridden with or without fins, and sent around with a few sets for options and also people can ride it with the set of fins and placement they choose or even better, ride it with different set ups and give feedback on all the differences..... :?: 8)

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:10 pm

pridmore, i admire your lateral thinking.
but i am curious.
is it meant to be ridden on a rail like a bodyboard?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:22 pm

my current one likes to b surfed flat but this one with the straighter rail line and the booger rails thru the part of the board which will be in the wave face, this one should be able to be surfed more on rail, and have less tendancy to wanna slide sideways but in saying that, the slide and glide is the funnest free feeling and I dont want to eliminate that, more just decrease it and have a bit more control over when it happens, this can be done by surfing adaption but I want to do it with design elements to make it user friendlier ( shit word but you know what I mean ...) ..I have just posted a link to some footage of the board in action, some tosser riding it but you can see what fun they are....
the link is in a thread in 'logs and eggs', called " not another traveller FFs..." :roll: 8)
check it out if ya interested but definitely keen to have some boogers have a crack on it...already trying to line a few up, this is all about having fun and a different way to ride a wave , way more fun than goin straight on a mal and you can ride em when it is crap an small..... 8)

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Sounds good, Primord. A couple of things that could be used, that are used on a traditional (finless) bodyboard are; 60/40 rails for holding the rail on the face, deep slot channels for the same reason and a clipped crescent tail. Just throwing some ideas your way. :)
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

SURFFOILS.AU

Post by SURFFOILS.AU » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Fins, channels, (drag/control/directional assists) ??
Ive made one or two hundred.
On, under, beside, internal.....
Flat, round, angled.....
On foam, fibreglass and wood....

Internal fins.

My favourite.

Fins, foils, whatever.
Far too many to show.

[email protected]
Manly, Sydney.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Wowzers! Good work. Re: your favourite, what would be the point of having the wide point so far back from the nose if you are in the prone position? Because a wide point around where your elbow lies and accomodates for the riders mass and the turning point for any move. Also weight shifted over that area (to a certain point) will make you go faster, conversely, if your weight is shifted slightly behind the wide point, you wont be going as fast.
------------

SURFFOILS.AU

Post by SURFFOILS.AU » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Moving the wide point back puts it in line with ur hips so instead of turning with ur elbows you put more weight in with ur hips.
It turns more like a surfboard or a skateboard off the back trucks.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:55 pm

Cool, got any pics or vids of it being ridden?
------------