Shark Island Challenge 2009 Webcast

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Shark Island Challenge 2009 Webcast

Post by Kunji » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Will be hosted by Limited Edition at: http://www.limited-edition.net.au/

I wonder why Swellnet wont be doing it this year??? I think they did it a couple of years ago.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

thermalben
charger

Re: Shark Island Challenge 2009 Webcast

Post by thermalben » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:48 pm

Coops, the SIC webcast is a demanding task, and we've currently got a lot on our plate - being on standby for such a long time really takes a lot out of your schedule. I've also just returned from three weeks on the other side of the world, so the timing was not good - these events take quite some time to prepare, so I didn't want to do a half baked job.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:56 pm

I see the event's trials are the "Brett Young Memorial".. What happened to Brett? I knew him growing up in the Cronulla area and the last I saw of him was in about 1990-91 when we had a massive night out on the Gary Ablett's.. Was a nice guy...
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Ben, i thought it would be something like that or something like another company outbidding Swellnet. I dont know how these things work. Thanks for the update.

Jimmy, unfortunately Brett Young died in a car accident in Japan a few years ago. Very sad, but i think this is a good honour of him. One of the main chargers ever out there.
------------

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:44 pm

How is the forecast looking for the waiting period for this comp?

Here is a media release from Transit surf

Shark Island Challenge Heat Draw
July 7, 2009 – 7:38 pm » Transitsurf

logo_sic09The 2009 Nomad Shark Island Challenge is officially underway. Riders were on hand at a huge in store promotion for Emerald Surf City before getting down to business for the official contest and briefing night. As per normal SIC ethics, due to the “no knockout system” the names were drawn from a hat to ensure a fair and non-bias draw was achieved.

Riders were briefed on all rules and criteria for this unique event with the point being that there is only going to be one winner. As the riders passed around the cheque for $10,000 it was put to them plain and simple – the rider who successfully rides the best waves, executes the most powerful/most radical moves in the most critical part of the wave and who pulls into the biggest/deepest barrels, exiting in a clean fashion with style will be deemed the winner.

It all sounds too easy; the only on thing standing between the athletes and the cash is Shark Island.

Ask any local or previous champion, Shark Island can be a hell of a bitch and it’s fair to say “The Beast always has the last laugh”.

So, The Challenge has been set, the waiting game is on; who will be the 2009 Nomad Shark Island Challenge Champion?

At this stage all riders will be on call from Thursday July 9th onwards, pending a solid easterly swell predicted for the weekend. More news to follow – stay tuned.

HEAT DRAW
Heat 1
Jose Marquina
Jason Finlay
Christian Riguccini
Glen Thurston
Shaun Peterson

Heat 2
Doug Showell
Alex Bunting
Nick Ormerod
Ewan Donnachie
Adam Luehman

Heat 3
Chris James
Brendan Ryan
Dave Ballard
Jared Houston
Mike Murphy

Heat 4
Alex Leon
Glen Sullivan
Ben Sawyer
Kira Llewellyn
Josh Pollard

http://www.transitsurf.com/shark-island ... #more-1210
------------

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Apparently they're looking for a 9am start on Sunday. Not how sure confirmed that is though...Monday looks a lot bigger. is it a 2 day event this year?

gusflaps

Post by gusflaps » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:07 am

where have all the big names in bodyboarding gone?? where are the likes of the hubbards, hardy, kingy, rawlins, winchester and the players? why are they not surfing this event???

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:42 pm

gusflaps wrote:where have all the big names in bodyboarding gone?? where are the likes of the hubbards, hardy, kingy, rawlins, winchester and the players? why are they not surfing this event???
It was canned from the IBA world tour and then the IBA banned its riders from competing (which means anyone who entered the Pipe comp (without even knowing they were entering a contract that meant they arnt allowed to enter the SIC) cant compete without facing a 1 year ban and a fine).

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Gussy you ranga! :lol: They're all excluded this year because its not a comp on the world tour, so the IBA won't let them go in it, or something like that...pretty gay if you ask me. It won't be the same.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:35 pm

Itll probably be better. Much more emphasis on better waves etc. First places takes all, prizes for best wipeout, best barrel etc.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:56 pm

6ft + east swell with all day off shores! :D :D Angry.
------------

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:03 pm

Revolution wrote:Itll probably be better. Much more emphasis on better waves etc. First places takes all, prizes for best wipeout, best barrel etc.
Yeah I agree the format is the way it should be, but without the best riders i think something will be missing, i may be proved wrong!
nevertheless, surf is gonna be smoking everywhere for the next two days!!!! GIDDY UP

gusflaps

Post by gusflaps » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:50 pm

i thought there was something a little screwy going on with this comp! how bogus of the iba to can it from their events list! i mean just scanned the events on their list, and it seems like that its not a world tour anymore its just a south america tour! bogus!!

gusflaps

Post by gusflaps » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:53 pm

gusflaps wrote:i thought there was something a little screwy going on with this comp! how bogus of the iba to can it from their events list! i mean just scanned the events on their list, and it seems like that its not a world tour anymore its just a south america tour! bogus!!
sorry south america and SW europe tour...
seeing the philipines and/or indo and/or oz included in the tour would be very nice.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:02 pm

I know but Bodyboarding is probably biggest in Sth America and Europe. The should have 2 Aussie comps though. SI and The Box or Nuggan.
------------

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:50 pm

Word is the box will be on the IBA tour next year.

SIC was canned due to the IBA rules of a minimum $20,000 prize pool. Hence why only shitty waves in bodyboarding rich countries.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:50 am

looks pretty small at the moment
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

gusflaps

Post by gusflaps » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:55 am

marcus wrote:looks pretty small at the moment
i hear tomorrow will probably be the day now, don't worry this swell is definitely on the way!!