S.I. challenge 2009

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

S.I. challenge 2009

Post by marcus » Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 am

Nomad Bodyboards & Emerald Surf City presents the 2009 Shark Island Challenge.

For over 20 years Cronulla’s Shark Island has been a proving ground for high performance Bodyboarding in Australia.

In 1997 this proving ground was extended to a selected international contingent, when a hardcore group of Cronulla locals created a competition format they named The Shark Island Challenge. The concept was simple: Invite the world’s best riders to Cronulla to surf Australia’s original wave of consequence to compete in a “winner takes all” shoot out.

Over the past 12 years the Shark Island Challenge has become one of the most prestigious events in the world, synonymous with some of the most breath taking competition images in bodyboarding history. For many years the SIC has been voted by bodyboarders world wide as the most prestigious event on the planet, and has been seen as one of the toughest contests on the tour. This year will be no different.

Although there have been some changes to the competition format over the last 7 years, the 2009 Shark Island Challenge will reinstate the original competition format: 16 wildcard invitees riders and 4 trialists will have the opportunity to compete for a $10,000.00 prize purse at Australia’s most prestigious event in a “winner takes all” shoot out.

The return to an invitees only format will ensure that the world best riders, whether they are underground, well travelled, sponsored, recluse wave hunters, or past or present world champions will be part of these selected few who will be on hand to take on the best SINGLE DAY of waves held over a 3 week waiting period.

Contest Director Mark Fordham said of SIC 2009 “The criteria for the event has always been the heaviest move on the most critical section wins. We are confident that we will get the right mix of riders to make a spectacular event”.

So in 2009 the Shark Island Challenge returns – ‘The Beast Has Been Unleashed’ - the original concept where a champion of champion is crowned. Through expressions of interest riders will nominate themselves to be one of the chosen 16 of the world’s most feared hard nuts, and granted wildcards to tackle one of Mother Nature’s most feared waves. To top it off four riders from the Brett Young Memorial Trials (to be staged at Cronulla Point 4th -5th of July) will be flung into the arena to mix it up with the freaks....

Contest dates are as follows

The Brett Young Memorial Trials > 4th – 5th of July
Presented By Emerald Surf City

To be staged at Cronulla Point – trialists will compete for the honour gaining entry into the SIC 2009

The Nomad Shark Island Challenge > 7th – 27th of July
In Association with Emerald Surf City

A 1 day event staged at Shark Island; 20 of the world’s most talented riders taking on the Beast..

PLEASE NOTE
The invitees will be a mixture of Cronulla locals, Australians and Internationals.

Bodyboarders from around the world interested in a possible invite opportunity will need to submit an ‘Expression of Interest’ by the 31st of May 2009. Expressions of interest are to be emailed to [email protected]

SPONSORS FOR THE 2009 SHARK ISLAND CHALLENGE ARE

1. Nomad Bodyboards
2. Emerald Surf City
3. Riptide Bodyboard Magazine
4. Secret Sumatra
5. Human
6. Limited Edition Fins

Event info please email - [email protected]
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Re: S.I. challenge 2009

Post by Kunji » Mon May 25, 2009 10:35 am

But it doesnt count for any point in the IBA tour?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon May 25, 2009 10:52 am

Coops@DY wrote:But it doesnt count for any point in the IBA tour?
nope, as far as i know, iba tour people are not allowed to go on it as it is seen as a competing tour/event. the iba rules state you cant go in a competing tour or event.
i think this year may be good in a way, a refreshing change back to some more underground non sponsored guys in the event.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon May 25, 2009 1:13 pm

Yeh IBA black listed it. Pretty dog move by them. Rumour has it they'll move it to the box next year.

I remember seeing somewhere (no idea where) a list of people who still qualify to compete and it was a pretty damn good list of people.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon May 25, 2009 1:27 pm

They need to have a SI and a Box comp in the IBA.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon May 25, 2009 1:38 pm

Yet they feel they need more 2ft beachies.

Apparently there might be some trouble with the aus tour sponser 'rebel sports' cause when they signed on the contract included a 5 star ever being SIC which isnt gonna happen now.

What i want to see is riders go against the IBA's decision, pay the $500 fine and sit out of the world tour for a year.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Mon May 25, 2009 2:08 pm

gotta love a good boycot.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Mon May 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Shame our sport which is already under exposed needs to have a rift...

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Mon May 25, 2009 5:47 pm

F#ck the IBA pros.

Hand the sweet moolah out to the locals, and reward the guys that have been charging that place for nearly 20 years (are any Cronulla locals part of that IBA?).

Watching those local guys charge the isalnd on a big barrelling swell is pretty cool, even for non boogers. Does many of that early 90's crew still ride it?
If it feels good, do it.

Tahn
Local

Post by Tahn » Mon May 25, 2009 7:54 pm

Why not two seperate comps?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon May 25, 2009 9:12 pm

For the shark island?

It was canned cause they didnt make the required $20,000 prize pool. As far as im aware the shark island comp was always a specialty comp as was pardoned but this year they were deny'd by IBA. The riders board voted on it and it didnt get through. Then the IBA decided if they cant have it, no one can and black listed the event to a 'contracted' rider, which is total shit, so anyone who went in the pipe comp will be suspended for 1 year and fined even though they were never told about that before they entered the pipe comp.

That info may not be 100% correct as its not all straight from the horses mouth but im pretty sure its rather accurate.

miiichael
regular

Post by miiichael » Thu May 28, 2009 3:41 pm

These are the people to blame for canning it.

Mike Stewart
Guilherme Tamega & Magno Oliveira (Brazil)
Yeray Martinez & Ardiel Jiminez (Canary Islands)
Ryan Hardy, Ben Player(Australia)
Manuel Centeno & Silvano Lourenco (Portugal)
Jeff Hubbard & Mike Stewart(Hawaii)
Jason Bitzer & Spencer Skipper (USA)
Desiree Kinashi & Catarina Sousa (Women's)

http://www.ibaworldtour.com/news/231-sh ... world-tour

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri May 29, 2009 11:12 am

miiichael wrote:These are the people to blame for canning it.

it hasn't been canned

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:08 pm

From Mark Fordham
also available on facebook shark island challenge group.

Subject: The 2009 NOMAD Shark Island Challenge > Invites chosen to battle it out for $10,000 in cold hard cas

The 2009 NOMAD Shark Island Challenge

Shark Island, Cronulla, NSW - 7th July - 27th July 2009

“The Beast Has Been Unleashed”

Nomad Bodyboards & Emerald Surf City presents the 2009 Shark Island Challenge.

Invites chosen to battle it out for $10,000 in cold hard cash

It is with great pleasure that we present the 16 invited riders who will be challenging one of the worlds most feared waves. A wave who’s mission is to bruise and crush ones outer shell. This wave makes no apologies for beatings. It loves dishing it out pain; it loves the taste of blood. It senses the fear in every rider, punishing those who show it the most. It is the rider who inject shear adrenalin into the very veins that pumps ones ability to block out the mental game that Shark Island plays that will become the 2009 NOMAD Shark Island Challenge champion.

The riders chosen for this years Nomad Shark Island Challenge best represent the talent of today’s everyday bodyboarder, riders that thrive for Bodyboarding, whether they are tour riders, free surfers, blue collar works or just self confessed freaks. It is these people that when brought together truly perceive what the sport is all about.

The chosen invitees have been categorised into five groups

Locals

Dave Ballard
Christian Riguccini
Ben Sawyer
Alex Leon

Aussies

Jason Finlay
Chris James
Jose Marquina
Kira Llewellyn
Ewan Donnachie
Alex Bunting
Adam Luehman
Nick Ormerod

Internationals

Mike Murphy (USA)
Jared Houston (South Africa)

Sponsor wildcards

Glen Sullivan (Emerald)
Glen Thurston (Nomad Bodyboards)

Trialist

17. TBC
18. TBC
19. TBC
20. TBC

This years Prize Purse is one of the most exciting to date > Cash / exotic trips and mind blowing adrenalin. Nomad Bodyboards and Emerald Surf City have led the way by injecting $10,000 AUD for the “winner take all format. Secret Sumatra, The Surf Travel Company and Red Bull have also jumped on board

First Prize - $10,000 winner takes all
Best Barrel - 2 weeks stay at The Secret Sumatra – Surf Camp
Best Move - 2 week boat trip courtesy of The Surf Travel Company
Best Wipe Out - $500 – if you want it, it’s all yours
Longest tube time - Buzzing over Sydney in the world renowned Red Bull Stunt Plane

So in 2009 the Shark Island Challenge returns – ‘The Beast Has Been Unleashed’ - the original concept where a champion of champion is crowned. 16 invited riders to tackle one of Mother Nature’s most feared waves. Four riders from the Brett Young Memorial Trials (to be staged at Cronulla Point 4th -5th of July) will join them....

The Brett Young Memorial Trials > 4th – 5th of July
Presented By Emerald Surf City –

To be staged at Cronulla Point – trialists will compete for the honour gaining entry into the 2009 Nomad Shark Island Challenge

The Nomad Shark Island Challenge > 7th – 27th of July

Both events will be streamed live at http://www.facebook.com/l/;www.limited-edition.net.au
Join up to Limited Edition Twitter to have alerts for the event, and updated coverage on the day http://www.facebook.com/l/;http://twitt ... td_edition

A 1 day event stage at Shark Island - 20 of the world’s most talented riders taking on the Beast..

Entry to the 2009 Nomad Shark Island Challenge is only now possible via the Brett Young Memorial Trials. Entries can be downloaded from the Riptide Magazine or Limited Edition websites. Positions are still available so get your entry in for your chance on getting your hands at $10,000 dollar and joining the list of legendary past Shark Island Challenge Champions.

SPONSORS FOR THE 2009 SHARK ISLAND CHALLENGE ARE

1. Nomad Bodyboards
2. Emerald Surf City
3. Riptide Bodyboard Magazine
4. Secret Sumatra
5. Surf Travel
6. Human
7. Limited Edition Fins
8. Red Bull Australia
9. Dunes Wetsuits

The Shark Island Challenge is also on Face Book – search for Shark Island Challenge and become a fan – Be updated on the latest news and events - Check it out.

Event info please email - sharkislandchallenge@http://www.facebook.com/l/;iinet.net.au

Media Updates @ http://www.facebook.com/l/;www.riptidemag.com.au
Live event cam feed @ http://www.facebook.com/l/;www.limited-edition.net.au
Twitter alerts @ http://www.facebook.com/l/;http://twitt ... td_edition

The 2009 NOMAD Shark Island Challenge 2009

bringbackmacca
regular

Post by bringbackmacca » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:38 pm

the whole IBA is absolute fuck IMO, i cant believe what im reading in this thread.. Did you say that the PIPE Comp is also excluded from the events?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:58 pm

bringbackmacca wrote:the whole IBA is absolute **** IMO, i cant believe what im reading in this thread.. Did you say that the PIPE Comp is also excluded from the events?
Nope. Said that those who competed in pipe arnt allowed to compete in Shark Island.

Sick to see kira in it. But still only 4 locals? I would have thought they wouldve given more local spots out?

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:09 pm

Yeah I picked up on that too, is the Pipe comp out of bounds for IBA riders?

Its good to see Chris James will be in the SIC again. Love seeing a bloke with no home break and who didnt grow up at the beach killing it.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:32 am

Jimi wrote: Its good to see Chris James will be in the SIC again. Love seeing a bloke with no home break and who didnt grow up at the beach killing it.
where is he from? ACT or somewhere? or just a traveler?