S.I. challenge 2009

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

puurri
Owl status

Re: S.I. challenge 2009

Post by puurri » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:35 am

marcus wrote:
Jimi wrote: Its good to see Chris James will be in the SIC again. Love seeing a bloke with no home break and who didnt grow up at the beach killing it.
where is he from? ACT or somewhere? or just a traveler?
I hear the Cotter Dam spillway is fuly sik.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:36 am

[quote="marcus"][quote="Jimi"]
double quote

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:37 pm

norther beaches.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:37 pm

marcus wrote:
Jimi wrote: Its good to see Chris James will be in the SIC again. Love seeing a bloke with no home break and who didnt grow up at the beach killing it.
where is he from? ACT or somewhere? or just a traveler?
he is from Sydney, just inland a bit. Wahroonga. So has no real 'local'.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:31 pm

Fergo wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have been recently having a discussion with Mark Fordham about the decision to put Kira Lwellen in the Shark Island Challenge.

I am writing this post to just get a general idea from the public on this issue.

I along with many other riders who requested a wildcard into the main event, feel a little hard done by with the decision of Kira Lwellen being chosen to compete.

In 2001 the event was held in bombing conditions, I was the first out pre event and I remember watching that day wishing I could have had a go at a few on the better tide.

The next year I returned to surf in the trials which I flew back from Tahiti for. The trials were held in 1-2 ft cronulla point and it was amassive dissapointment to be knocked out by a 15 year old after I had just been surfing 10-12ft chopes a few days earlier. I just couldn't understand how for an event like shark Island the trials be contested in minute
conditions at a wave like cronulla point. I always had the view that if the trials were held at say redsands or any other heavy south coast reef with a waiting period it would be a better chance for the trialists who were prepared physically and mentally to be surfing the main event at Shark Island.

Now this year with it not being an IBA event I along with a lot of other riders thought there might be a small chance of getting a place in there without having to surf slop nflop conditions. Now if the event is held in conditions like 2001, firstly I think it would be dangerous having Kira out there I have seen her try to surf pipe when it was solid and the Island is way heavier. I feel she hasn't earned her spot in the event through performances in heavy waves like Toby Player, Brendon Newton, Myself and the list goes on.

In 2001 Karla Costa was also selected over a lot of other deserving guys and she withdrew as the waves we're to gnarly. Now if the spot has been given to another rider they would have been much more mentally prepared for the gnarly pits that we're being thrown out that day

One of Marks points was that Kira is doing some presenting with fuel TV for the event and that it would be good exposure for the event but I feel the event being held at shark island will generate media no matter what. The wave basically does that with the heaving pits it throws out. Letting women compete in events that are traditionally mens events makes bodyboarding look like what a lot of old hat surfers call it 'A Chicks Sport'. The riders should be chosen on their ability suited to the wave the event is being held in and the events should be run similarly to Surfing events with mens and womens events seperate to each other. My point is the SIC should be a mens event as there are never any girls in the line up when shark island is firing. You would never see a man trying to enter the womens pipe contest and if he did he would be denied and thus there should never be a women entering the shark island event unless there was a womens division or a seperate womens event. Would you try to enter a womens event if you were a man?

Basically I think this is a similar decision to the controversial Jamie O'brien pipe wildcard earlier in the year and I feel it's another step backwards for bodyboarding as far as being a hardcore sport. After seeing Jamie try to bottom turn out pipe, myself among a lot of other people we're thinking what a joke, why couldn't it be Mike Murphy, Kainoa or Brian Wise which is really who people want to see getting the bombs and potentially winning the event. Not someone who has written off bodyboarding like Jamie. We have to think about the kids who are buying the bodyboards, who would they rather see?

This post is not at all an attack on Kira. Kira is a friend of mine. She is an awsome women with a massive heart and a great personality, who I think shreds on the womens level, but I feel that there are a lot of other people more deserving for the wildcard.

This is an open discussion for anyone who has an opinion about this matter

Your Sincerely,
Dean Fergus

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:53 pm

Hard to fault his argument. He's 100% spot on. The addition of Kira to the event too gimicky. They dont need any gimicks, its the f'ucking SIC.

Where did you get that quote from revo?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:18 pm

http://www.riptidemag.com.au/forum/view ... f=2&t=2619

Also another good post from the guy who ran fluidzone now runs transitsurf.
transitsurf wrote:I'm all for female bodyboarding and think what Kira, Lilly etc do for female representation of the sport is great however Dean has a point.
Fergo wrote:One of Marks points was that Kira is doing some presenting with fuel TV for the event and that it would be good exposure for the event
At what point is the line crossed between a valid and fair invitation system and buying your way into the event, indirect or otherwise? Sure there are a heap of other riders alongside Dean who also missed out that are just as deserving of a place. Take Dean's case of Toby Player.
Toby Player wrote:this year I start in the second round at Pipe as I had a bad seeding, I make it through 7 rounds at Pipe knocking out that many seeded billygoats… I Come = 9th.

I’m stoked cause I may be seeded into the main event of Shark Island then i get kicked in the balls and told I can’t go in the Island comp now?
Shocking!
Another could argue the validity of such riders as Chris James, Ewan Donnachie, Adam Luehman & Glen Thurston. All under the Custom X, Ltd Edition, Nomad sponsorship agreements. I don't mean to step on anybodies toes here as I believe they are all deserving riders and the money Nomad / Ltd Ed are putting into the event is fantastic and a great show of support however one could argue some of the same points Dean is putting forward for this situation too.

One option for a fair and unbiased invitational system would be for it to go down to a vote, conducted by the riders themselves on who they think is worthy of an invitation to the event. Something to consider next year if the event remains blacklisted from the IBA :?:

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:55 am

personally, if it doesn't count shit towards the world title- i couldn't care who wins, i just wanna see some good old sic action, no matter what the agenda.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 am

I actually just read the whole Kirra thread on riptide :shock:

Also I came across this:
a bodyboarder wrote:The last thing I thought we would have to post here is about cyber-bullying. However due to recent activity on the forum (by only a very few users thankfully), this has become necessary. The Riptide Forum has ZERO TOLERANCE for any form of bullying here. If any member feels they are being subject to bullying, please PM (Personal Message) a moderator or the Riptide Office directly and your request will be treated seriously with total confidentiality.

Bodyboarding is a community, not a place for gang or group mentality against another. Our role is to support others in the community who are younger, not to prove how 'tough' you think you are. If you wish to be a 'tough-guy' or 'keyboard-hero' around the place, then this isn't the place for you.
It's such a different world to here.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:43 am

TMC wrote:I actually just read the whole Kirra thread on riptide :shock:

Also I came across this:
a bodyboarder wrote:The last thing I thought we would have to post here is about cyber-bullying. However due to recent activity on the forum (by only a very few users thankfully), this has become necessary. The Riptide Forum has ZERO TOLERANCE for any form of bullying here. If any member feels they are being subject to bullying, please PM (Personal Message) a moderator or the Riptide Office directly and your request will be treated seriously with total confidentiality.

Bodyboarding is a community, not a place for gang or group mentality against another. Our role is to support others in the community who are younger, not to prove how 'tough' you think you are. If you wish to be a 'tough-guy' or 'keyboard-hero' around the place, then this isn't the place for you.
It's such a different world to here.
Im still adjusting, been plenty of ban warnings and most of the good posters only last a few months before the ban-wagon catches up or they abuse 'doclach'.

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:39 pm

so whats going on with the challenge. Was it on yesterday??? Who won? Personally I dont think limited edition has done a great job of covering the comp. some results & pics would be nice.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Ewan Donniche (sp??) took out the 10k first prize. Who knows about the rest...

Dork
Grommet

Post by Dork » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Check out the results at
http://www.transitsurf.com/sic-results- ... #more-1284

Revolution wrote:Im still adjusting
Ha ha ha ha still adjusting after how many years and posts! thats gold :lol:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:48 pm

How'd the bald guy go?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

GAV!N
regular

Post by GAV!N » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:51 pm

Best Barrell = 2 weeks at secret sumatra.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:53 pm

steve shearer wrote:How'd the bald guy go?
He won best tube and longest barrel. And came 9th overall.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:56 pm

Bald guys ride the barrel better.
now it's a proven fact.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:27 am

steve shearer wrote:Bald guys ride the barrel better.
now it's a proven fact.
Prone??