Progression in Bodyboarding

Tribal discussions for bodyboarders only.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, sandonpoint, Forum Moderators

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Re: Progression in Bodyboarding

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu May 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Progressive BodyBoarding --- an oxymoron if ever I heard one.

Hi Revo!!!!

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu May 14, 2009 3:55 pm

laird isnt the only one that has one, rusty moran has a tow in stand up hydrofoil he can be seen surfing the reefs and sometimes outside shark island on.

smnmntl, i have invited you to come stand up on the waves i ride, whats taking you so long?
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu May 14, 2009 4:36 pm

Putting all bias aside.....

When asked why lidders do what they do common answers are;

a) they can get into heavier waves easier, and
b) being prone lets them feel the wave.

Getting towed into a wave using this hydroplane thing removes both those features. You're getting towed and you're not touching the wave. So why lie down? What are the benefits?

Further, hydroplanes can't go into hollow sections of waves. So again, why lie down?

The whole thing is baffling.....

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu May 14, 2009 4:48 pm

Isn't experimenting and having fun with something you enjoy allowed now or something?

Thats all he is doing...

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Thu May 14, 2009 7:03 pm

2nd Reef wrote:Getting towed into a wave using this hydroplane thing removes both those features..... The whole thing is baffling.....
you're way too true- i put it down to rich kids with too much time

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Thu May 14, 2009 7:24 pm

zippy is hardly a rich kid with to much time, the amount of boards he has made from $20 of materials all different shapes and sizes etc is made.

Same deal as say pridmore or ric having fun shaping stand up boards. They not be making the next thruster but they are making fun boards.

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Thu May 14, 2009 7:50 pm

i was talking about chris white, but tully's gone under now.. maybe its a sign

Zippy da Pinhead

Post by Zippy da Pinhead » Fri May 15, 2009 5:16 am

When Laird gave them a go I think he was looking at the improvements that came with hydrofoils, because the board was off the water it was not affected by any surface chop so the ride was smoother. It meant he could take on bigger waves and not be battered by the board chattering over the wave. Foils also give a smoother more consistent power by using the energy within the wave along with the standard surfing forces like gravity.
I think when Whitey did it, it was just a copycat attempt. It was a feature in Riptide magazine and they didnt say they had any real performance or altruistic intentions. But it did show that foils can be used on all sorts of surfcraft and that it is a viable way to get across a wave.
There was an accident involving an overweight balding middle aged man.
Are you OK ??

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri May 15, 2009 11:06 am

2nd Reef wrote:Putting all bias aside.....

Getting towed into a wave using this hydroplane thing removes both those features. You're getting towed and you're not touching the wave. So why lie down? What are the benefits?

Further, hydroplanes can't go into hollow sections of waves. So again, why lie down?

why stand up? just because its harder?
why not get a unicycle?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri May 15, 2009 11:22 am

2nd Reef wrote:Putting all bias aside.....

why stand up? just because its harder?
why not get a unicycle?

on the hydrofoil topic.. why not?
this forum is so full of closed minded people not willing to step outside they're circle of comfort.
i applaud these people that experiment and HAVE FUN with different ideas and concepts of riding waves.

people have knocked me for having a torch on my surfing helmet, guess what, while they're on the net whinging about crowds at some northern beaches shitty beach, i'm getting any wave i want out island, cowrie hole or g land or black rock.

people out island bagged me out for an idea of putting carbon fibre stringers in bodyboards, "oh you would break your back landing an air" they would say. now every board has them.

maybe just maybe a hydrofoil ridden prone could ride the biggest waves ridden.

imagine what mike stewart could do on one of those.

nothing shits me more than people knocking those courageous enough to experiment with new ideas.
to me they are sheep.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri May 15, 2009 12:11 pm

marcus wrote:...to me they are sheep.
What do you expect? They're stand ups.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Fri May 15, 2009 5:59 pm

marcus wrote:i applaud these people that experiment and HAVE FUN with different ideas
Matty johns tried this and look at the trouble he got into.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Fri May 15, 2009 6:43 pm

TMC wrote:
marcus wrote:i applaud these people that experiment and HAVE FUN with different ideas
Matty johns tried this and look at the trouble he got into.
Damn TMC you stole my line...

Seriously, i've tweaked my knee from surfing and skating since doing the wrist...(Boohoo to me).

My cousin has dropped his spare bodyboard off and told me to keep my fitness up on it whilst the knee rests for a couple of weeks.

So for just the next two weeks, i'm gonna become a sponger. I'll let you all know how it goes (like it or not).
If it feels good, do it.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:28 pm

having a few drinks and my brother brings up a post where i apparently abused 2nd reef, i didnt know what he was on about and looked and, yeah it looks pretty bad, for a guy id like to count as a mate.
I should appologise to 2nd reef.
i wasnt aiming my reply above at him but it bloody seemed like it.
i was actually refering to other people that refered to this thread in the shortboarders section.
so sorry mr reef, the way i quoted you was not the way i meant it to come accross in translation. :oops:
i hope you will accept my appology.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14 am

^^He he...that's cool Marcus. Didn't really take it that way anyway.

FWIW I reckon that the hydroplane thing is pretty naff, even for standups. I've watched Rusty do it numerous times and just can't see the value in it. Getting towed into a swell then traveling in a straight line for 100m till you lose speed and sink, both feet locked into snowboard boots. Or having the rail hit a bit of chop, lose speed and sink, both feet locked into snowboard boots.

Then you've gotta get towed again and repeat the process over and over. At no point are they anywhere near the steep section of waves or doing anything deemed skillful. It's far closer to wakeboarding than surfing, and personally, I reckon wakeboarding is one of the most ridiculous 'sports' going. I guess it's one of those things justified away with 'no-one else is doing it so we will'. Never been a good argument for doing something in my eyes, but it's never stopped people either.

Think Lambert said it best with 'too much money - too much time'.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:58 pm

I think the hydro set up cost him $20 or something. So hardly to much money, plus the guy likes to do all kinds of weird cool shit so i guess there is no such thing as 'to much time' for a hobby.

Also wakeboarding is pretty fun. Kinda like snowboarding to me, do it once or twice a year (sometimes never) have a couple of weeks fun and forget about it for a while...

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:32 pm

You're being a bit obtuse there young Rev: those hydroplane things don't power themselves you know. It's the engine at the other end that is the expense.

And I'll stand by my claim on wakeboarding: the single-most ridiculous past-time dreamt up in the detritus of 90's 'extreme' sports. It's a measure of our incessant ability to harness inanity that a 'sport' has evolved around it. A sport in which everything depends on a boat to create a wake to jump? For mine it's just a way for Jet-Pilot bogans to take their shirts off and display their bad tats and nipple piercing while playing Limp Bizkit loudly over the speakers of craft that are the marine equivalent of hotted up Torana's.

I'm not usually prone to sweeping statements but I'll make an exception for wakeboarders - wankers the lot of 'em, even those who do it one or twice a year (sometimes never)

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:38 pm

You could also narrow surfing down to boardies only wearing southern cross tat flaring waxed chests whilst listening to jack johnson loudly over the speakers of their commodore or toyota hilux... :shock:

Im pretty sure for the guy in this thread its not powered by a ski .. i remember him talking about surfing it in 2-3ft beachies with crowds around looking at him like wtf. Doubt he'd be plowing through with a ski.